You want Aaron Donald? Here's your main competition

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Hypothetically, let's say Atlanta ends up trading back. If they do this, I imagine they'd trade to around the 13-15 range since they probably view us as their biggest competition. So if that happens, would you trade up a few spots to jump them?

tm1119

Reaction score
So now Aaron Donald is a top 10 pick and we have to trade up for him?? The hype for this guy has officially gotten out of control

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
So now Aaron Donald is a top 10 pick and we have to trade up for him?? The hype for this guy has officially gotten out of control

It's not like he hasn't been earning it. I respect a guy more for creating his own hype with his play on the field instead of a 350 pound guy with a great 40 time who has never made a tackle in his life.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
The guy is a player and he deserves the hype, however his value is not but maybe a couple picks before ours. If Atlanta wants to make that move good for them. I pick Jernigan and the best end available round two.

Another outlandish theory is swapping first rounders with Atlanta and taking Clowney, though it would cost us essentially our whole draft.

tm1119

Reaction score
It's not like he hasn't been earning it. I respect a guy more for creating his own hype with his play on the field instead of a 350 pound guy with a great 40 time who has never made a tackle in his life.

https://encrypted-tbn1.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9gIYm7hp32V6QbwoeoXOvKWQ3i9ajgzsRtfrVvx1-tR7NQ4vw

What if he gets blocked in the actual senior bowl game and doesn't make any plays? What happens then? The meteoric rise of Aaron Donald has happened primarily because what he has been doing while wearing basketball shorts on a practice field.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
https://encrypted-tbn1.***NOT-ALLOWED***/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9gIYm7hp32V6QbwoeoXOvKWQ3i9ajgzsRtfrVvx1-tR7NQ4vw

What if he gets blocked in the actual senior bowl game and doesn't make any plays? What happens then? The meteoric rise of Aaron Donald has happened primarily because what he has been doing while wearing basketball shorts on a practice field.

He had a bunch of hype coming into the Senior Bowl because of his play on the field. Then in the Senior Bowl he continued to play well. There are guys who get hyped up every year for things they didn't do on the field. Dontari Poe for example. He played at a small college, against second-rate talent, and still didn't dominate, barely even played that well. But he has these freak measurables and goes high in the draft. He actually turned out to be a good player, but the majority of guys like him don't.

tm1119

Reaction score
He had a bunch of hype coming into the Senior Bowl because of his play on the field. Then in the Senior Bowl he continued to play well. There are guys who get hyped up every year for things they didn't do on the field. Dontari Poe for example. He played at a small college, against second-rate talent, and still didn't dominate, barely even played that well. But he has these freak measurables and goes high in the draft. He actually turned out to be a good player, but the majority of guys like him don't.

He was a second round pick that is now apparently in the top 15 based on practices where he is wearing basketball shorts. How is that any different from the workout warriors you are complaining about?

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
He was a second round pick that is now apparently in the top 15 based on practices where he is wearing basketball shorts. How is that any different from the workout warriors you are complaining about?

I see your point. My point is, he should have been a top 15 pick in the first place based on his play on the field. I know people questioned the talent he went up against and if his small size would translate to the NFL. Well, in the Senior Bowl practices, he still did drills comparable to playing against the best prospects in the country. That's different from a player who played at a small school in college, never dominated the inferior competition he went up against, didn't do anything impressive in the Senior Bowl, but ran a fast 40 and jumped really high so he goes in the top 10.

tm1119

Reaction score
I see your point. My point is, he should have been a top 15 pick in the first place based on his play on the field. I know people questioned the talent he went up against and if his small size would translate to the NFL. Well, in the Senior Bowl practices, he still did drills comparable to playing against the best prospects in the country. That's different from a player who played at a small school in college, never dominated the inferior competition he went up against, didn't do anything impressive in the Senior Bowl, but ran a fast 40 and jumped really high so he goes in the top 10.

And my point is that I'll be on board with the hype of he dominates in the actual senior like he has practice. Just pump the brakes a little is all I'm saying. Everyone is getting ahead of themselves way too early in the process.

supercowboy8

Reaction score

Some people don't look at production in games that matter. They just look at measurables. Donald dominated his competition the last three years. Played in the ACC the same as Jernigan and put up far better stats. I don't care what he does in the senior bowl. He played lights out for three years in actual games. He will put up good numbers at the combine also. He will continue to rise. I want him but wouldn't trade up for him. I wanted Claiborne but I hated the pick when we trade up to get him.

JoeyBoy718

Reaction score
Some people don't look at production in games that matter. They just look at measurables. Donald dominated his competition the last three years. Played in the ACC the same as Jernigan and put up far better stats. I don't care what he does in the senior bowl. He played lights out for three years in actual games. He will put up good numbers at the combine also. He will continue to rise. I want him but wouldn't trade up for him. I wanted Claiborne but I hated the pick when we trade up to get him.

I agree. I wouldn't make a Claiborne type trade up for him. I doubt we'd need to. I could see Atlanta trading to one pick ahead of us. That would mean we would need to jump 2 picks to pass them. I don't what a jump from 16 to 14 would cost. Might be worth it.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Good player, top 15 I just don't see at all.

I still see end round 1 as his ceiling right now, maybe mid 20's

Macnalty

Reaction score
I also think he is a good player but to trade for a lower pick an choose him would be unwise IMO. We will get plenty of bodies out of this draft for the DL and they are very similar in talent level from the late 1st and 2/3nd rd I see lots of lunch pail guys this year.