You want to be a scout?

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Pay Attention Hostile!

You want to be a scout?
http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/You-want-to-be-a-scout.html
The job may seem glamorous, but it’s far from easy. Greg Gabriel
Print This Send This July 19, 2010, 01:00 PM EST .12 Comments .While working for the Bears the last nine years as Director of College Scouting, I would receive more than 125 resumes a year from people wanting to become scouts. Most think it is a very glamorous job. But let me tell you, it isn’t.

Scouting can be a very rewarding experience, especially if the team you work for drafts a few players from your area. Then you know that the powers that be bought into your evaluation and recommendation. It can be even more rewarding if those players turn out to be good NFL players. The only real glamour is being part of the team in each year’s draft room helping to make decisions that can help shape the future of the franchise.

The work leading up to that weekend is hardly glamorous. It takes a very special person to become a top-notch scout in the NFL. I was surrounded by six of the best in Chicago. It was an extremely hardworking group and the scouts were very dedicated to the work they did.

Scouts sacrifice a lot. They have to be very self-motivated and independent thinkers. They have to have outstanding time-management skills because too often they have more work than can be done in an average day.

ICON
All the hard work pays off when one of your guys gets drafted at Radio City Music Hall during the NFL Draft.
They spend an inordinate amount of time on the road away from their families. Over the last 26 years, there were many times that I spent well over 200 nights a year on the road. Because of the dedication you have to have for your job, you end up missing a lot at home. You miss some of your kids’ sporting events or school plays. You might miss your baby’s first steps.

I missed the birth of my first child because I couldn’t get home fast enough to be there. I arrived at the hospital two hours after my daughter was born. That’s not something you can make up for. You have to be married to a very special and understanding person because all too often she is playing both mom and dad with the kids much of the year.

Being on the road can be both fun and lonely. In a typical week, you may visit three or four schools and see a game. A typical road trip can last 10–17 days during the fall. You are up early and at a school usually by 6:30 or 7:00 a.m. At some schools you may be the only scout there that day; there can also be days when 15–20 scouts are there. Those are the hard days, because the more scouts that are there, the harder it is to get your work done. I would usually try to get in a room by myself or with just a few scouts that I knew I could work with. There are many guys who like to sit and BS, and if you get caught in a room with one of them it’s extremely frustrating because the more noise there is the harder it is to concentrate.

Good scouts need to spend many days during the course of the season at their key schools. They need to develop strong relationships with the key people that can help them with their evaluations. Many of these key people are not on the coaching or training staff, but rather support people (academic advisors, secretaries, maintenance staff) who come in contact with the players on a daily basis. It is these people that really know the player.

You need to know as much about the player off the field as you do on the field.

After you get your work done at one school, it’s on to the next. That may mean a two to four hour drive. You get in late, and you still have to get your reports done. And that is the most important thing that a scout does — put into a report what he sees and hears at a school. When you’re done with your reports, you get a few hours of sleep and then the same thing the next day. That can often mean poor eating habits and not enough time to work out.

I have only begun to scratch the surface of what a scout does. So for those of you who want to try and make a career at this, think hard — because it isn’t easy. And one last thing: you better be right with your evaluations!

Ready for fantasy football? Click here to purchse the Total Access Pass/ Draft Guide from the NFP.

Note for Hostile, I do believe he said one of his dreams was to be a scout for the cowboys! More info on this scout guy;

More from Greg GabrielGreg Gabriel is a veteran of 29 NFL seasons. He started as a part time scout with the Buffalo Bills in 1981. In 1984 he became an area scout for National Football Scouting and then was hired by the New York Giants in January of 1985. Gabriel was with the Giants for 16 seasons and worked with some all time great NFL coaches and personnel people including George Young, Bill Parcells, Bill Belichick, Dan Reeves, Tom Coughlin and Ernie Accorsi. While in New York, the Giants won three NFC Championships and two Super Bowls (XXI and XXI). Also, 12 first round draft picks came from Gabriel’s main areas of responsibility. In June of 2001, Gabriel left New York to become Director of College Scouting for the Chicago Bears. During his nine seasons with Chicago, the Bears went on to win three Division Championships, one NFC Championship and were an NFC wildcard team twice. Six of the Bears draft picks went on to the Pro Bowl under Gabriel’s direction. He also spent six years on the NFL College Advisory Committee. The purpose of the committee is to advise college underclassman on their potential NFL ability and draft status. Prior to entering the NFL, Gabriel was an account executive with Prudential Bache and later with Dean Witter. Gabriel has a Bachelor of Science degree from Canisius College in Buffalo, New York. He was also a three-year starter at running back on the Canisius football team. He then played eight seasons as a running back for the Twin City Geminis, a semi-pro team in the Buffalo area where he also coached running backs and special teams for one season. Gabriel and his wife Robin have six children and four grandchildren.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Hostile;3464288 said:
I would only want to be a scout for the Cowboys.

i know buddy, but i thought after you read the article, you might get some thoughts to contact that guy and brian broaddus, and fullfill your dream. At least give it a try, so you dont have in the back of your mind in later years, you wished you had tried or attempted

i tried to get the guys email, but couldnt find it,

jnday

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;3464301 said:
i know buddy, but i thought after you read the article, you might get some thoughts to contact that guy and brian broaddus, and fullfill your dream. At least give it a try, so you dont have in the back of your mind in later years, you wished you had tried or attempted

i tried to get the guys email, but couldnt find it,

Joe, just wondering, does a scout attend a game to scout all postions or certain postions such as linebackers , db, o-line , etc. Seems with the lack of luck on the o-line, that it would be worth having special scouts for the positions that we have had trouble drafting in the past. I would like to see Larry Allen or Erik Williams, maybe Nate Newton have some input on some of the prospects potential. Somebody like these guys should know what it takes to be dominant linemen in the NFL. How does the old saying go, it takes one to know one. Just a suggestion that should have some merit. I`m sure Jerry could talk these former players into giving some help.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
jnday;3464759 said:
Joe, just wondering, does a scout attend a game to scout all postions or certain postions such as linebackers , db, o-line , etc. Seems with the lack of luck on the o-line, that it would be worth having special scouts for the positions that we have had trouble drafting in the past. I would like to see Larry Allen or Erik Williams, maybe Nate Newton have some input on some of the prospects potential. Somebody like these guys should know what it takes to be dominant linemen in the NFL. How does the old saying go, it takes one to know one. Just a suggestion that should have some merit. I`m sure Jerry could talk these former players into giving some help.

i sent a message to a former pro scout, brian broaddus, waiting for him to answer you, he could alot better than i can

generally from what i remember, but im not an expert knowing, they look at all positions, but sometimes a team sends 2 to 3 scouts at a certain college, and they let the scouts do their expertise on whatever position they are great at,

for instance, our head scout, ciwoski showed footage of him going to north carolina to look at 3 main players a year ago, but the cowboys also sent 2 to 3 extra scouts with ciwoski to a certain college too

so im sure its a little of both, the head scout looks at them all, but mostly a few key players he has in mind for the cowboys like ciwoski, and has his assistants zeroing in on certain positions they are expertise at

while also to keep in mind, some of the cowboys scouts, do one certain area, while another scout does another area in u s