You Will Never Draft The Next Patrick Mahomes If You Handcuff Yourself To Alex Smith

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.

phildadon86

Reaction score
I see many fans here simply satisfied with making the playoffs and winning a few regular season games.

The Chiefs made the playoffs the year they traded up to draft Mahomes and the rest is history.

We all know that if the situations would have been reversed we'd have fans here saying things like "Alex Smith's don't just grow on trees! We made the playoffs! You just need to get him help at WR and OL. If we do that we're good!"

It's impossible to know if you're getting the next Mahomes or the next Manziel, but you're never going to know unless you actually try.

The Cowboys FO biggest issue is handcuffing itself to mediocrity and becoming comfortable in it. That's not just with the QB position either. However, the QB position needs to be taken seriously. We've not taken a QB in the 1st round since Aikman. I'd much rather us try on the unknown talent then handcuff ourselves to mediocrity.
Best case scenario. And it pains me to even say it. However it is the only way for this team to move forward and have a chance.

MM fails miserably next season. Team doesnt win more than 5 games. New HC comes in and drafts Drake Maye or Caleb Williams.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Best case scenario. And it pains me to even say it. However it is the only way for this team to move forward and have a chance.

MM fails miserably next season. Team doesnt win more than 5 games. New HC comes in and drafts Drake Maye or Caleb Williams.
It will really suck and I can't root for that but if it happens, it's a blessing in disguise.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
First you have to admit you have a problem before you can address it.
Jerry has paid Dak $40 mil and so that makes Dak a franchise QB in his eyes so why move on.
If we had a real GM then that might change but we don't so we're stuck!

Redsfan_83

Reaction score
The problem is that how many Mahomes' are there? Are we really confident Herbert, Allen can win a ring for their teams? I think the Bungles can win one with Joe if they can get out of their own way, and the Jags are on track for this as well. The Eagles have built a team that Hurts can play lousy, and still beat anybody. The Chiefs can let Hill go and they look as if not more dominant without him. This is so far beyond having the right QB it's crazy

phildadon86

Reaction score
It will really suck and I can't root for that but if it happens, it's a blessing in disguise.
I am honestly praying that Jerry just gets out of the way. Bring in Payton if you have to next season if it implodes next year.

Let Payton draft a QB high. Period. Seeing Philly lap us and get into their 2nd superbowl in 5 years while we had Garrett for 10 wasting careers is sickening.

JeffInDC

Reaction score

The hard part is obviously convincing the FO to pull that trigger - my personal feeling is they'll try to finalize making the D Elite on every level AND beef up the WR & OL rooms in the draft. And, if the team truly falters because of Dak and picks higher next year, THAT'S when they'll try to get their next QB. Just my take...

_sturt_

Reaction score
There's something to be said for the logic.

And yet.

If it was so easy, everyone would do it.

Assessing new QBs available in the draft is tricky, at the risk of stating the obvious. Not sure even KC realized what they were getting. Mahomes wasn't even Mahomes in his rookie year.

"You're never going to know unless you try" is kinda reckless. Hope is not a strategy. Can't go there with you.

No other way to say it, Dak had a good year in every other way but INTs... and you have to make a judgment call whether the statistical outlier is that, or if you're expecting him to continue like that instead of being the 100+ INT% guy he's been almost every other season.

I like the odds that this season is an outlier. In fact, I look at our receivers' separation as the bigger issue... so many INTs were errors on the receiving side, though yes the blockheaded ones on the QB side stand out.

John813

Reaction score
I agree, but with how the team builds the roster, they handicap themselves to using the top draft picks for positions they left unaddressed in FA.
Hopefully, that changes, and the coaching purge is giving me some hope that maybe this offseason will be different

fivetwos

Reaction score

I’m not sure they are comfortable with mediocrity as much as they fall victim to near constant misevaluation.

They aren’t qualified to do what needs to be done as an NFL GM.

Then they surround themselves with yes people that tell them what a great job they are doing.

Bottom line is they always think they are closer than they actually are, and like one more draft will put them over the top right away.

When Jerry is up there selling his product, I don’t think it’s a line of crap. I think he actually believes it.

ThatJerryKid

cowboys31
Reaction score

Full disclosure, you usually annoy me with all your hate Dak posts. But this was well stated and I’m starting to agree with you. Maybe there’s still a chance for us to be friends. At the very least, I can give you a like for this post.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The analogy is a good one. Mahomes sat behind Alex Smith his rookie year. The Chiefs were making the playoffs every year and Alex Smith made the pro bowl the year they drafted Mahomes as well as Mahomes rookie season. But, Andy Reid saw the teams ceiling and wasn't satisfied. It was a gutsy move drafting Mahomes at a cost of 3 #1 picks and with a pro bowl QB on the roster. Reid took a ton of heat for the move. But, that's what visionary people do......... they see things before everyone else. Dallas has no visionary in the front office or on the sideline.

Ken

Reaction score

Do you have a few other examples of this strategy working?

Flamma

Reaction score

IMO, the best thing the Cowboys could do is look for another QB while trying to build around Dak for the next two years. Then move on. The sad part is, the Cowboys won't even try to put a winning team around Dak.