You won't need a driver's license by 2040

joseephuss

Reaction score
http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/18/tech/innovation/ieee-2040-cars/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

You won't need a driver's license by 2040

(Wired) -- The timeline for autonomous cars hitting the road en masse keeps getting closer. GM's Cadillac division expects to produce partially autonomous cars at a large scale by 2015, and the automaker also predicts it will have fully autonomous cars available by the end of the decade. Audi and BMW have also shown self-driving car concepts, with the former working with Stanford to pilot a modified TT up Pikes Peak. Meanwhile, Google is ripping along at its own rapid pace with a fleet of fully autonomous Toyota Prius hybrids that have logged over 300,000 miles. And the company has pushed through legislation that legalizes self-driving cars in Nevada. California is close behind, and Google has also been busy lobbying joyriding lawmakers in Washington, D.C.

But while we know that robo-cars are coming, the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE) recently released predictions that autonomous cars will account for up to 75 percent of vehicles on the road by the year 2040. The organization went even further, forecasting how infrastructure, society and attitudes could change when self-driving cars become the norm around the middle of the century.

IEEE envisions an absence of traffic signs and lights since highly evolved, self-driving cars won't need them, and it believes that full deployment could even eliminate the need for driver's licenses.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
After reading the title, .. I thought you were making fun of me because I'll be 86 in 2040 and incapable of driving a car at all.

:laugh2:

joseephuss

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4739895 said:
After reading the title, .. I thought you were making fun of me because I'll be 86 in 2040 and incapable of driving a car at all.

No, not at all. I don't believe you should have a drivers license now.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
I hate this.

I mean, it's cool technology, but it makes me very uncomfortable. It's unnerving.

Plus I really enjoy driving. It's a big part of my life. I would miss it immensely.

danielofthesaints

Reaction score
CowboyMike;4739929 said:
I hate this.

I mean, it's cool technology, but it makes me very uncomfortable. It's unnerving.

Plus I really enjoy driving. It's a big part of my life. I would miss it immensely.

This. But if it cut down on the deaths from collisions, then I would just put up with it.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
joseephuss;4739912 said:
No, not at all. I don't believe you should have a drivers license now.

OK

Odd that you would have an opinion on that, .. either way.

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CowboyMike;4739929 said:

Me too.

But I still will have my motorcycle. .. Well, I probably won't in 2040, but others will!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
danielofthesaints;4739934 said:
This. But if it cut down on the deaths from collisions, then I would just put up with it.

there aren't enough deaths out there to justify not allowing me the right to drive

Reaction score
Well I won't be too old by then only about 45 years old which is the about the average age here. :laugh2:

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;4739979 said:
there aren't enough deaths out there to justify not allowing me the right to drive

Yes there are. I'll be in my mid 40s, so ill get to enjoy this!

03EBZ06

Need2Speed
Reaction score
I remember back around in 2003, I was involved with Unmanned Combat Aircraft Developmental program and I was introduced to a team in NASA and they were working on autonomous vehicles. They were working on roads and sensors for autonomous vehicles, no, I didn't get all the details from them, just top level info but it was fascinating, I worked with them for about a year before I moved onto another R&D project.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
States will want the revenue, I don't think for a second that they will do away with driver licenses. You may not have to take the driving test but they will find a way to get mo money. :D

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4740005 said:
States will want the revenue, I don't think for a second that they will do away with driver licenses. You may not have to take the driving test but they will find a way to get mo money. :D

They won't be drivers licenses but people will always have some form of ID. By 2040 it will most likely be technologically added into your skin or something.

Cowboys&LakersFan;4740002 said:
We'll both be the same age. ;)

:laugh1:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;4740019 said:
They won't be drivers licenses but people will always have some form of ID. By 2040 it will most likely be technologically added into your skin or something.

:laugh1:

they probably have already put microchips into us.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4739895 said:

I ain't going to be unable to drive when I'm 90. I'm going to die in a bar room fight over a 21 year old hottie when I'm 108. I already have permission. :p:

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4740005 said:

Since they will know where your car is at all times they will charge user fees and taxes on a mileage basis. The government will always find ways of taking your money.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Cowboys&LakersFan;4739982 said:
Well I won't be too old by then only about 45 years old which is the about the average age here. :laugh2:

I think the average age is a bit higher than that, you Josh and R2A are not enough to drive it down.

NorthTexan95

Reaction score
danielofthesaints;4739934 said:

If it cuts down on traffic jams then I'm all for it!!!

2015 sounds like a date given to impress investors. I'd bet it'll be a decade later before we see something that is sold to the public.

joseephuss

Reaction score
WV Cowboy;4739964 said:
OK

Odd that you would have an opinion on that, .. either way.

I'm just joking with you. Although you older folks should be re-tested more often. :p:

I think a lot of people will be reluctant to give up driving. There will be a transition period. As time goes by there will be generations that don't know the joy of driving and won't care. They will just be used to it. The first steps will probably begin in the public transportation sector.

And as far as any revenue lost on people no longer needing to get drivers licenses will just get replaced by higher charges on vehicle registration and the like.