Young athletes should stay hydrated, but too much water can be deadly

Doomsday101

Reaction score
With August football practice fast approaching, every coach's favorite cheer will be to "stay hydrated" and "keep urine clear" during the summer heat.

In 2017, a University of Texas football coach created a urine-based "Longhorn Football Hydration Chart," which labeled players with yellow urine as "selfish teammates" and those with brown urine as "bad guys." This "hydration shaming" practice has permeated high school sports, thereby encouraging a sporting culture which equates superior performance with superior hydration.
Overzealous obedience to this hydration advice has uncovered a dark underbelly to superior hydration practices: overhydration. When high school football player Walker Wilbanks died in Mississippi in August 2014 from overhydration, the doctor said that the cause of death was an "unpredictable freak occurrence."

Two weeks prior, another high school football player from Georgia drank "two gallons of water and two gallons of Gatorade" after football practice to prevent muscle cramps and then died. Thus, over the last four years, two high school football players have died during August football practice from overhydrating -- a medical condition known as exercise-associated hyponatremia.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/07/health/young-athletes-football-overhydration-partner/index.html

joseephuss

Reaction score
Of course too much of anything can be bad for you. I'm surprised the kid that drank 2 gallons of water and 2 gallons of gatorade could hold all that liquid down. Two gallons of water over a full day is tough to drink and not feel bloated and a need to throw up. Four gallons after a practice is quite a bit. Hopefully people working or playing in the miserable heat drink the right amount and avoid both of the worst case scenarios of dehydration or over-hydration.

Tom Brady claims he drinks so much water that he can't get sunburned.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Of course too much of anything can be bad for you. I'm surprised the kid that drank 2 gallons of water and 2 gallons of gatorade could hold all that liquid down. Two gallons of water over a full day is tough to drink and not feel bloated and a need to throw up. Four gallons after a practice is quite a bit. Hopefully people working or playing in the miserable heat drink the right amount and avoid both of the worst case scenarios of dehydration or over-hydration.

Tom Brady claims he drinks so much water that he can't get sunburned.
Ya, about that kid in Georgia? If it was 2 gallons of beer ,he'd prolly of been standing over the commode when he 'passed out'.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
Maybe.....If he's a light weight.
Well, @Sarge Being of faint recollect, of back when I was in highschool ,,,EVERYONE RANKED IN THE AIR SUCKING MO-FO LIGHTWEIGHT CLASS OF DRINKERS,,, er,,, and well,bro,,,ya-know!,,,WHEN STACKED UP IN A SXS COMPARISON AMONGST THE CHISELED RANKS OF THE STALWART PROFESSIONAL CLASS of WHICH IT IS, I,,,er,and possibly yerself ,along with a select smattering of MAYBE a DOUBLE FISTFUL SELECTED from within the confines&comforting FORTIFICATION fondly referred to as: CASTLE DALLAS,,,those rarified few from the amassed standing ranks set forth accordingly unto the consumption class of JUDGMENT are of the labored in attainment IN such questioned KNOWLEDGEo_O

:lmao::starspin::lmao:

* ya,we got all kinds of veteran
" fruit salad" pinned upon our forum posting combat uniforms,,, why I personally sport the " crossed 5th's of 101 proof ,w/ 3 consecutive hospital crutch bars slung underneath,,,, and while not one to brag,,,my " double glugger of the day" awards are unsurpassed since the days smokeless gunpowder was a military secret,,, unfortunately China STOLE that one,,,TOO!

Last edited:

jrumann59

Reaction score
In Army Basic they made us drink water so much we pretty much pissed clear all day everyday. I felt like a woman considering how many times I needed to hit the head in a day, talking double digits sometimes, once before PT, once after, at least twice between breakfast and lunch and twice before dinner, and twice before lights out.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
Heard stories about kids getting hazed in fraternities and dying by drinking too much water. This is the first time I have heard about it in sports.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I became really aware of this when that lady died years ago trying to win a Nintendo gaming system in a radio station contest by drinking large amounts of water without going to the bathroom. Those idiot hosts were warned beforehand of the danger and they still went through with it.

The UFC just had a scare with one of their fighters who had to get pulled from their card when they noticed him slurring his words and appearing sleepy and out of it during fight week. Then woke up the next day with blurred vision and headaches before being rushed to the hospital. Last I heard they suspected water loading before his weight cut to be the culprit.

Basically if you're forcing yourself to drink water, you're probably drinking too much water. Your body will tell you when you need it.

Xelda

Reaction score
I remember the story about that lady dying from drinking too much water. Then a child died after that when they were forced to drink a lot of water. Horrifying if you think about it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I remember the story about that lady dying from drinking too much water. Then a child died after that when they were forced to drink a lot of water. Horrifying if you think about it.

Jennifer Strange was her name. For anyone who wants to Google it.

Nightman

Capologist
Reaction score
A lot of long distance runners suffer from it.... they drink too water and drown on the inside

The symptoms are slurring and passing out and people usually try to give them MORE water