Your Favorite Book?

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
No, not the last one you read. We already have that. What is your favorite book and why? Mine is Basketball Diaries...

The movie is nothing like the book. I don't recommend either for children, but wow what a great read.

Khartun

AmarilloCowboyFan
Reaction score
Lord of the Rings. I have loved those books since I was a kid.

Staggerlee

chip_gilkey
Reaction score
Tough question but I'd have to go with 1984. Another really good one is Feed by M.T. Anderson.

Rogah

Reaction score
CowboyMcCoy;4151944 said:
No, not the last one you read. We already have that. What is your favorite book and why? Mine is Basketball Diaries...

The movie is nothing like the book. I don't recommend either for children, but wow what a great read.
The only book that I've enjoyed so much that I actually read cover to cover more than once is 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke. A wonderful read and the textbook example of how a book can convey information so much more thoroughly than its movie counterpart.

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
Rogah;4152002 said:
The only book that I've enjoyed so much that I actually read cover to cover more than once is 2001 by Arthur C. Clarke. A wonderful read and the textbook example of how a book can convey information so much more thoroughly than its movie counterpart.

I can appreciate your honesty and I'm glad you came away from that.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
Sam I Am;4152182 said:
For fiction: Legend of Huma by Richard Knaak.

That was a good book.

Hard call for myself since I read so much. So I have more than just one.

Horror: The Shinning by Stephen King (much better than the movie)

Drama: The Pelican Brief by John Grisham

Fantasy: Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, any R.A. Salvatore book set in FR.

And the best for last. King James Bible.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
casmith07;4152353 said:
To Kill A Mockingbird
This is a fantastic novel. It's a shame she didn't write more. None of her other writings ever won the acclaim that book did, but she poured soul into it. I love the movie with Gregory Peck, and I have seen it performed at the Tucson Theater of the Arts. It is really one of the great American Tales of our time.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
zrinkill;4152426 said:
That is good ..... Love Kaz.

I know. It's a shame Kaz: the Minotaur book wasn't better. The Minotaur Wars trilogy I did enjoy though.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
...really put my decision to have a family in perspective.

Made me think about the gift of children.

Arch Stanton

it was the grave marked unknown right beside
Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the James Herbert and Stephen King novels. The Stand has always been a fave of mine.

notherbob

Reaction score
My favorite book became dog-earred enough for me to have to buy another copy because I refer to it so often. It has the unlikely title "Garlic, the Science and Therapeutic Application of Allium Sativum L and related species" by Larry Lawson, Ph. D. and Heinrich Koch, Ph. D. I have met and had many discussions with Larry Lawson.

I almost never read novels as I prefer truth to made up stuff and this non-fiction book I bought in 1999 has affected my life more than any other single book I have ever read and it has allowed me to understand enough of the chemistry of garlic to understand how it works within human physiology. We are electro-chemical beings and this book has helped me understand how the various breakdown metabolites of allicin, both fat-soluble and water-soluble, circulate around and interact with the human body and kill the microbial things and other kinds of things that can afflict us.

This allows me to devise novel ways of applying this information and coming up with unconventional herbal treatments that really work. For example, when you crush natural, non-irradiated garlic, let it set a while and mix it with water, that water becomes highly antimicrobial and kills all bacteria it comes into contact with, including MRSA, which cannot become resistant to it because it kills in a different way than antibiotics, which depend on specific chemical bonds to work.

There are other medical conditions that can be successfully treated with garlic used in different ways. We are just now scratching the surface of what garlic can do when used in different ways. There's a lot more to it than eating it. Wanna learn more> Google the Garlicmeister.

You had to ask, didn't you? :laugh2:

CowboyMcCoy

Business is a Boomin
Reaction score
notherbob;4152885 said:
My favorite book became dog-earred enough for me to have to buy another copy because I refer to it so often. It has the unlikely title "Garlic, the Science and Therapeutic Application of Allium Sativum L and related species" by Larry Lawson, Ph. D. and Heinrich Koch, Ph. D. I have met and had many discussions with Larry Lawson.

I almost never read novels as I prefer truth to made up stuff and this non-fiction book I bought in 1999 has affected my life more than any other single book I have ever read and it has allowed me to understand enough of the chemistry of garlic to understand how it works within human physiology. We are electro-chemical beings and this book has helped me understand how the various breakdown metabolites of allicin, both fat-soluble and water-soluble, circulate around and interact with the human body and kill the microbial things and other kinds of things that can afflict us.

This allows me to devise novel ways of applying this information and coming up with unconventional herbal treatments that really work. For example, when you crush natural, non-irradiated garlic, let it set a while and mix it with water, that water becomes highly antimicrobial and kills all bacteria it comes into contact with, including MRSA, which cannot become resistant to it because it kills in a different way than antibiotics, which depend on specific chemical bonds to work.

There are other medical conditions that can be successfully treated with garlic used in different ways. We are just now scratching the surface of what garlic can do when used in different ways. There's a lot more to it than eating it. Wanna learn more> Google the Garlicmeister.

You had to ask, didn't you? :laugh2:

I've been munching on garlic cloves here and there. The problem is it gives me halitosis for days. LOL

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
Hostile;4152463 said:
This is a fantastic novel. It's a shame she didn't write more. None of her other writings ever won the acclaim that book did, but she poured soul into it. I love the movie with Gregory Peck, and I have seen it performed at the Tucson Theater of the Arts. It is really one of the great American Tales of our time.

Great movie as well. One of the best book-to-movie translations.

It's my all time favorite fiction book. Just love it.