Your Favorite Commander Mistakes

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
I've just posted on the Briggs-to-Commanders thread that this would become one of my favorite Commander mistakes, were it to happen.

But now I'm not so sure because it's a long, long list. Gawd I can't possibly do justice to it here. Off the top of my head, Archuleta is superb but hey, that's just the top of my head (and if you want an indication of what "off the top of my head" is like, just use my avatar.)

Thoughts? Which was the biggest mistake and why? Which mistake brings you the greatest joy?

adamknite

Reaction score
Spurrrier being a bust? That's right off the top of my head, I'd have to think this one over.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Stop slacking, do some leg work and get a poll going. :)

My all time favorite is Deion Sanders

Pabst

Reaction score
The Spurrier decision was rather humorous, as I was within the DC area during that time frame.

You could also sell the Schottenheimer firing. How he got that absurd team to 8-8 is beyond me, and to fire the guy after such a wonderful coaching job is mystifying at best.

dffl11

Reaction score
Gibbs 2.0, I am hoping it ends with a 3-13 season and he resigns and saunders takes over.......and all the fans will have to admit Gibbs didnt pan out.......

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
adamknite;1437585 said:
Spurrrier being a bust? That's right off the top of my head, I'd have to think this one over.

That came to mind right off for me as well.

I think the skins major problem or mistake is continuity.

They have switched HCs, Position Coaches, players and schemes way too much.

They have made trades that just don't make sense to me. They prefer to have FAs over draft picks and so on.

But the biggest thing is what I said IMO...Continuity.

Charles

Benched
Reaction score
Pabst;1437590 said:
The Spurrier decision was rather humorous, as I was within the DC area during that time frame.

You could also sell the Schottenheimer firing. How he got that absurd team to 8-8 is beyond me, and to fire the guy after such a wonderful coaching job is mystifying at best.

Marty ran a tight ship like Parcells, It wasn't fun but he got results........but moreimportantly Danny wasn't having fun. Goodbye Marty ball!!!

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Pabst;1437590 said:

I think the funniest thing about that Schotty thing.

I think it was a year or so before he was hired he was one of the ESPN analyst guys and he said he could not work for someone like Danny.

Low and behold danny offered money that was hard to pass up.

However from my recollection Marty was smart enough to say he wanted control.

Well after sometime Danny wanted some control and marty said no.

They did seem to be making headway after a bad start, although many skins fans would say he was a terrible coach for them so who knows.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
well spurrier takes the cake.

He was such a poor head coach, as babe laufenberg told it this year, he had to ask the PR guy who was active during one of their trips to texas stadium.

The head coach didnt know who was active on gameday?

Firing schottenheimer.

Releasing Brad Johnson, trent green, stephen Davis,.

its an endless list.

The biggest mistake that organization has ever made though is
Vinny cerrato. I am not sure if he is single handedly alone in the drafting fiasco that takes place their year after year, but he has some role.

And of course the worst mistake was the midget becoming owner.

If their not careful their next biggest mistake is going to be hanging onto this regime one season too long.

They have alot of talent and I expect them to win more games this season adn be a better team, but something isnt right there so we will see.

oh and How could I forget Heath schuler. Trying to turn the Commanders into cowboys north was fun to watch.

CowboyMike

Stay Thirsty, My Friends
Reaction score
Hmmmm....

Any trade and overpriced FA signing that they've made since Danny bought the team. Yup.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Hands down...releasing Stephen Davis when he was at the top of his game, and signing Trung Canidate to replace him.

I know Trung. I had classes with him at the UofA. Nice guy. He was not in SD's league as a RB.

The funniest part was when Art came on the old site to defend this move and called it "addition by subtraction." Canidate fit Spurrier's system which was going to revolutionize the NFL, and SD did not.

Same year and same thread he lauded the Skins acquisition of Brandon Noble at DT from us. Him explaining to us how Noble was really a "blocker magnet" that we failed to fully utilize just killed me.

Best quote on any forum ever was boozeman describing Art as going around and around on a tricycle trying to get his points made. I was looking for that thread the other day because I wanted to laugh.

Never did find it. Great stuff though.

fanfromvirginia

Inconceivable!
Reaction score
Hostile;1437625 said:
Hands down...releasing Stephen Davis when he was at the top of his game, and signing Trung Canidate to replace him.

I know Trung. I had classes with him at the UofA. Nice guy. He was not in SD's league as a RB.

The funniest part was when Art came on the old site to defend this move and called it "addition by subtraction." Canidate fit Spurrier's system which was going to revolutionize the NFL, and SD did not.

Same year and same thread he lauded the Skins acquisition of Brandon Noble at DT from us. Him explaining to us how Noble was really a "blocker magnet" that we failed to fully utilize just killed me.

Best quote on any forum ever was boozeman describing Art as going around and around on a tricycyle trying to get his points made. I was looking for that thread the other day because I wanted to laugh.

Speaking of Herr Art, I've gotta go look for that post someone pulled up a few days ago lauding the signings of Lloyd, Carter, Randle-El and Archuleta. That was fantastic.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
  • The Duckett Trade
  • Al Saunders signing as Co-Head Coach
  • Last years complete blunder in FA signings Randle El, Brandon Lloyd, Archuleta, and Carter for somewhere around $120M and getting squat in return!
  • The day Mrs Snyder bought the team.
  • Bring Joe Gibbs back thinkings a coach that has zero expereince in the free agency years could revive the Commanders
  • The list goes on...

Cowboys22

Reaction score
We could save ourselves a lot of time here by listing all the GOOD moves they have made since Snyder bought the team.

I can only think of 2. Signing Marcus Washington and re-signing Ladell Betts.

There are just too many mistakes to list. It seems they make 7 or 8 every season!!!

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
Hostile;1437625 said:

While that is huge, I still don't think it's as bad as #3 on my list just below you post.

superpunk

Reaction score
I think the 2000 offseason qualifies.

Along with Michael Westbrook, Heath, realeasing Stephen Davis, and existing as an NFL franchise.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
let's see, so many to choose from

it has to be trading a 2nd and 4th for Brandon Lloyd, and THEN re-doing his deal to give him #1 WR money

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
I forget what year it was but Synder had dinner with Jerry the night before they played in Dallas. Synder had been talking junk about how they were going to stomp us. Jerry tells the team and we proceed to stomp a mudhole in them and walk it dry.

Gotta love the ATM. :D

AdamJT13

Salary Cap Analyst
Reaction score
Hostile;1437625 said:

Best quote on any forum ever was boozeman describing Art as going around and around on a tricycle trying to get his points made. I was looking for that thread the other day because I wanted to laugh.

Here's that thread (login required) --

http://mazevo.com/mazevo/sm.x?c=dallascowboys&f=dallascowboysmain&m=16328&mstart=80&mstart=0

Some of Art's gems from that thread --

Art said:
Canidate doesn't need to have a single carry for Washington to improve our situation at running back as it relates to the offense. Losing Davis improved the team. Why? Because Davis was a presence that had to be catered to. Spurrier had to run things through him many times. And many times Davis' style was incapable of exploiting openings he had to exploit. Adding Canidate isn't what helps us. Removing Davis and allowing Spurrier the confidence to call HIS offense is what improves us. We're no longer tied to Davis or questions about him getting the ball. Spurrier builds in his playcalling using the same look to run various plays. With Davis he couldn't do that because Davis couldn't run a draw and was not good out of the backfield. Spurrier had to run a fairly traditional running game mixed with his passing game which limited the whole of the team.

Canidate is an ideal fit for this offense. This offense spreads the field and uses formationally created seams to exploit advantages. There were six-yard runs last season that Canidate might have gone 80 on. And that's the threat Spurrier needs. Spurrier needs a threat that forces safeties to respect the middle so he can attack other areas. Davis wasn't that threat. Teams could chase Davis down and Spurrier wasn't built to use Davis how he is great at being used.

Art said:
Glover is an exceptional player, though, he's not a very good player when it comes to making plays when doubled. In fact, I'd rather have Noble on my team being doubled than Glover because you KNOW while Noble won't make a play, he also won't get knocked around. Glover does get pushed around when doubled.

Art said:
Woodson is in decline and when you break it down, he's never been a GREAT safety in coverage or even all that active in run support the last few years. ****, you put Sam Shade's career numbers up and you might think about picking him.

Art said:
It's no secret I'm not a fan of Ellis. Wynn is a more versatile player who slides into tackle for us and who is remarkably strong against the run. Ellis has accumulated very solid stats in tackles even in a system designed to allow the backers to make most of the plays. While that's to his credit, the fact is, I look at a lot of tackles by a defensive lineman as a nice stat like I look at a lot of passes defensed by a corner. It's great and all, but, the fact that they are so active means guys are going right at them a great deal of the time. Teams ran away from Wynn because there was so much more benefit to run at Smith or even Arrington when he was in there at end. Teams don't avoid Ellis. He makes plays, but he isn't a play maker. He and Wynn are both extremely marginal pass rushers.