Your favorite Horror Movies ever

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wait a minute. Underworld? Aliens is close enough to a horror movie to say, that's my favorite, but Underworld is just an excuse to watch Kate Beckinsale run around in painted on leather, hoping for a major wardrobe malfunction.

That's not enough? I thought the title of the thread was "favorite" horror movie, not "best".

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Could have been great if they hadn't CGI'd the movie to death as I liked the premise. Same with Resident Evil but I liked it anyway.
Oh I love all the Underworld movies, for exactly the reason I stated, plus I agree, the premise is excellent. Very original, yet classic at the same time.

DallasEast

Cowboys 24/7/365
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Underworld series is one of my favorites. And yes, @Runwildboys , Beckinsale is one reason why I love them. :muttley:

However, my personal definition of horror does not fit for the Underworld films. They fall under Suspense/Thriller in my book. For me (and possibly just me), a horror movie is a film that not only tries to frighten the audience but also engulfs the imagination so completely that what is seen on film could actually be conceived as true or could happen in the real world.

Put another way, I have seen movies advertised as horror, decide to watch them and experience the designed scare tactics. Sometimes I even laugh at the 'scary' parts :p which has drawn dirty looks inside a theater. :( But the films that shut me up from start to finish, while sending chills down my spine and making me think what if scenarios long after the movie ends...

...those are HORROR movies to me.

On a slightly related note, I have always considered John Carpenter as an underrated director within the genre. There was one movie titled Prince of Darkness that was definitely low-budget (a fate that a number of his films suffered from). Even so, I was admittedly engrossed by his presentation how Satan could be 'pulled into' the real world. One scene near the end of the movie has the heroine diving into the 'liquid' representation of Hell itself to save humanity.

In truth, it was not that great a movie but that particular scene has really stuck with me after all these years. It is the imagining what type of supreme, personal, never ending, torturous sacrifice would be required to stop Armageddon is what constantly haunts me. :muttley:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hey, forgot about one of mine, Blade. That was before Snipes got sent off to the big house, his most unfavorite horror movie.

And World War Z is my favorite zombie movie but I am not a big fan of the genre.

And if y'all want to laugh at horror, try Big *** Spider, terrible sfx but funny as hell and my favorite one for humor, Grabbers. How's this for a plot? Monster lands in an Irish seaside town, wreaks havoc and is allergic to alcohol and this pub, with a character named Paddy, is the scene of the final showdown. It can't eat drunks. I know, it sounds like something I would make up but it's real and it's really a lot of fun.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you want fun, catch the old Hammer Films' Dracula and Frankenstein movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

quickccc

Reaction score
The Underworld series is one of my favorites. And yes, @Runwildboys , Beckinsale is one reason why I love them. :muttley:

However, my personal definition of horror does not fit for the Underworld films. They fall under Suspense/Thriller in my book. For me (and possibly just me), a horror movie is a film that not only tries to frighten the audience but also engulfs the imagination so completely that what is seen on film could actually be conceived as true or could happen in the real world.
. :muttley:

Ditto here, as the Underworld series was also one of my favorites

but I have phrase it like this – I loooooved the first three Underworld films (and I made an error it was Underworld 2: Evolution (with Markus) that was my favorite of the series. Not Rise of the Lycans.

Too bad East, that we zoners are not able to re-edit our posts after 20 min, right ? ..lol :p
But as I expect with the case with many a film series, the impressive wow factor, imaginative writings and freshly innovative ideas begin to fade and flop.
As that’s what seem to eventually happen with Underworld as well.

“Blood Wars “ and “Awakening “ films just seem like the studios were trying to extend the series for the heck of keeping it ongoing and make it just solely a special effects movie for the sake of making one, but idealistic I have no idea what they were trying to make of the characters and story plot. Especially with the new “ hybrid’ situation. That’s when I knew it was over.

But the first 3 Underworlds just had me so captivated, and the way they started out with the origin easily influenced me to expect it was the Lycans (clan of werewolves)
that appeared to be the villains and the vampire clan as the prey and victims,… when it was brilliantly revealed in twisting turn that it was in fact, the Lycans that were the surviving victims of prey trying to fight and survive the hunt down and genocide from the Death Dealers hunters from the villainous vampire clan.

Kate Beckinsale was indeed very hot in black leather and skillfully whooping plenty azzz. But it was her going from fighting against the Lycans to saving her eventual love
from both werewolves and vampire circle that included not one but two master lord head vampires one which was “ Markus “ .. easily my very favorite of all the villains in this series.

Funny how Underworld surprised the box office with a $95 milliion box office gross with a starting budget of 22 million, ..and with legs and worth of mouth just took off around the world with it’s growing popularity from that point.
:flagwave:

quickccc

Reaction score
If you want fun, catch the old Hammer Films' Dracula and Frankenstein movies with Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing.

it was the Hammer Lee/Cushing duo films that got me hooked on and broken in "educated " with Vampires. Eventually there were other Hammer vampire movies that didn't even have
the great Cushing/Lee duo (ala Vampire Lovers, Vampire Circus, Twins of Evil, etc.) but those Hammers were just vastly entertaining and irresistible. Even the opening and closing music themes.

quickccc

Reaction score
Hey, forgot about one of mine, Blade. That was before Snipes got sent off to the big house, his most unfavorite horror movie.

And World War Z is my favorite zombie movie but I am not a big fan of the genre.

And if y'all want to laugh at horror, try Big *** Spider, terrible sfx but funny as hell and my favorite one for humor, Grabbers. How's this for a plot? Monster lands in an Irish seaside town, wreaks havoc and is allergic to alcohol and this pub, with a character named Paddy, is the scene of the final showdown. It can't eat drunks. I know, it sounds like something I would make up but it's real and it's really a lot of fun.

8 legged freaks, Return of the Living Dead and Shaun of the Dead.. :)

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Ditto here, as the Underworld series was also one of my favorites

but I have phrase it like this – I loooooved the first three Underworld films (and I made an error it was Underworld 2: Evolution (with Markus) that was my favorite of the series. Not Rise of the Lycans.

Too bad East, that we zoners are not able to re-edit our posts after 20 min, right ? ..lol :p
But as I expect with the case with many a film series, the impressive wow factor, imaginative writings and freshly innovative ideas begin to fade and flop.
As that’s what seem to eventually happen with Underworld as well.

“Blood Wars “ and “Awakening “ films just seem like the studios were trying to extend the series for the heck of keeping it ongoing and make it just solely a special effects movie for the sake of making one, but idealistic I have no idea what they were trying to make of the characters and story plot. Especially with the new “ hybrid’ situation. That’s when I knew it was over.

But the first 3 Underworlds just had me so captivated, and the way they started out with the origin easily influenced me to expect it was the Lycans (clan of werewolves)
that appeared to be the villains and the vampire clan as the prey and victims,… when it was brilliantly revealed in twisting turn that it was in fact, the Lycans that were the surviving victims of prey trying to fight and survive the hunt down and genocide from the Death Dealers hunters from the villainous vampire clan.

Kate Beckinsale was indeed very hot in black leather and skillfully whooping plenty azzz. But it was her going from fighting against the Lycans to saving her eventual love
from both werewolves and vampire circle that included not one but two master lord head vampires one which was “ Markus “ .. easily my very favorite of all the villains in this series.

Funny how Underworld surprised the box office with a $95 milliion box office gross with a starting budget of 22 million, ..and with legs and worth of mouth just took off around the world with it’s growing popularity from that point.
:flagwave:
Agree completely. I didn't care for the casting of Michael. (He just seemed slow witted, and I think that's just the way the actor comes off...kinda like Stallone or Travolta. They could explain M Theory, mathematics included, and they'd still seem dopey to me.) Other than that, the first 3 are movies I'll watch anytime they're on.

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Others have already mentioned other movies I also like, so here are some of my personal favorites that havent been listed.

Demon knight(1995)
Trick or treat (2007)
Session 9(2001)
Sleepy hollow(1999)
I was happy to see grabbers ,prince of darkness, and silver bullet mentioned.

Last edited:

Fredbeard

Reaction score
Wait a minute. Underworld? Aliens is close enough to a horror movie to say, that's my favorite, but Underworld is just an excuse to watch Kate Beckinsale run around in painted on leather, hoping for a major wardrobe malfunction.
I remember one of my high school friends
Wanted to see van helsing because Kate beckinsale was starring in it. That was his only reason for wanting to see it:muttley:

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Wanted to see van helsing because Kate beckinsale was starring in it. That was his only reason for wanting to see it:muttley:
That's the only reason I'll watch it whenever it's on........Hell, I watched all of Serendipity!

quickccc

Reaction score
Could have been great if they hadn't CGI'd the movie to death as I liked the premise. Same with Resident Evil but I liked it anyway.

Though not near on the level as Underworld, I did like the first two Resident Evil flicks including " Extinction ". ..after that I don’t even I could remember how it finished out, and a couple of the last ones I began to not care how it finished out, I just wanted a great video horror game to come to a farewell end.

But with the first two Resident Evil flicks, … just Loved the laser-defense room scenes !! and Mila Jovovich’s fighting action scenes were so exciting to watch - and I guess they had to scale back the gore-fest as usual the case with flesh-ripping zombie flicks, but the first two was made so creepy, captivating and fast-flowing enough that I could learn to sacrifice and sub the gore-fest out.

This is what I always think about when I see the “ Jaws “ movies again (love watching first two Jaws movies when it’s time to appear on Netflix streaming schedule again)
..what if that were ME, out there on this small aaz fish boat, being surrounded by a hungry 25 foot, 2 ton great white shark

Whose just waiting for the nice, quiet, right moment to “ chump and chow down “. What would me (or you) do if we were in the same situation ?

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was the only reason for anyone to see that.

quickccc

Reaction score

aah, ..Van Helsing (Beckinsale, Hugh Jackman) was one of my favorite " Guilty Pleasures " flicks. Vastly CGI cartoonish and over the top, but it was so much fun and I admit I adored all of
Dracula's brides. they were gorgeously hot, and they had just the perfect big teeth fangs for eating Barbeque !! ..lol :D

I really wanted a sequel to Van Helsing so badly, and Jackman was supposedly signed up for a sequel.... but the green light never materialized (sigh)

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Though not near on the level as Underworld, I did like the first two Resident Evil flicks including " Extinction ". ..after that I don’t even I could remember how it finished out, and a couple of the last ones I began to not care how it finished out, I just wanted a great video horror game to come to a farewell end.

But with the first two Resident Evil flicks, … just Loved the laser-defense room scenes !! and Mila Jovovich’s fighting action scenes were so exciting to watch - and I guess they had to scale back the gore-fest as usual the case with flesh-ripping zombie flicks, but the first two was made so creepy, captivating and fast-flowing enough that I could learn to sacrifice and sub the gore-fest out.

This is what I always think about when I see the “ Jaws “ movies again (love watching first two Jaws movies when it’s time to appear on Netflix streaming schedule again)
..what if that were ME, out there on this small aaz fish boat, being surrounded by a hungry 25 foot, 2 ton great white shark

Whose just waiting for the nice, quiet, right moment to “ chump and chow down “. What would me (or you) do if we were in the same situation ?
I would frantically be trying to get someone to go out and get you and would save a seat at the bar for you........for a while. The only way I am going to be out there is on a destroyer manned by fat tasty sailors.

I watch Jaws every 4th of July and have seen it at least 25 times and still lift my feet up off the floor.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I imagine most replying in this thread watch more horror movies than I do, but the one that stuck in my mind both then and now was the Exorcist. Still the top horror movie for me of the ones I've seen.

One of the things I love about "The Exorcist" is the early 70's vibe to the whole thing. Just about everything with it screams "early 70's."

Yeah it dates the film but for me it's very enjoyable... Even though I was only about 10 when the movie came out.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Alien really wasn't a novel, it was a paperback taken from the screenplay O'Bannon and his partner wrote for Scott. The part with the resolution about the missing Dallas was left on the editing room floor and I am surprised Scott allowed that to happen. It answered the question and why it didn't kill him the first chance it got like it did the others. That also helped develop Ripley's psyche and further establish the horror in her mind. When you watch Aliens again, watch Ripley's reaction when she sees the first one cocooned, she'd seen that before but at that time the Director's Cut wasn't available so if you hadn't read the book, you missed the connection.

While she'd been through hell with the first alien, she knew there was something worse because she'd been the one to find Dallas and that had to haunt her as much as anything else. That's why she had to go back.

Keep in mind the entire premise of "Alien" can be found in the 1958 movie, "It The Terror From Beyond Space" which is a pretty decent B-grade horror flick.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
but Underworld is just an excuse to watch Kate Beckinsale run around in painted on leather, hoping for a major wardrobe malfunction.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

I will say the actor that played Victor did a marvelous job– the over-acting made the character.