Your ideal gameplan???

jesusdlg

Reaction score
Hi folks!

I personally think we should have as much as possible our offense on the field and dominate the time of possesion.

Their defense needs to be tested that way, I bet they will get tired and will not do anything to us as the time goes by.

So running game and short passes, to get them guessing all the time. That's what I think we should do.

Jesus
:cool:

CallMeCrazy

Reaction score
Shotgun, shotgun, shotgun. That's the formation the Pats used all the time. It gives Romo plenty of time to pick out the defense.

RoadRunner

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2462414 said:
So we know Pitt has a great defense blah blah.

Question is, how would you attack it?

They are great at stopping the run AND the pass. Do you run the ball at the risk of facing 3rd and longs in order to create balance to open things up later in the passing game?

Or do you pass early and risk going 3 and out and facing sacks and interceptions, since their defense is so hard to run on?

Personally, if Barber is anything less than 80% , I want us to use the short passing game, out of two TE set to keep them guessing. The emergence of Bennett is huge as it makes our two TE sets that much more deadly and keeps the defense guessing.

I think the key to this game will be the establishment of Jason Witten early. I think Witten is our best bet against the Steelers defense, and this should open up the running game and the other receivers in the 2nd half.

The most crucial element for us on offense is to simply not turn the ball over. I would stay away from Palumalu (or however the hell you spell it) as much as possible, and we have enough weapons to be able to do this.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
The first thing I would concentrate on is defense. I would make sure I take away any threat of long runs since the weather will probably be bad.

Secondly, I would get after Ben R. like no other, and hit any receiver who catches the ball, try to knock them out.

On offense, anytime I see either TO, or RW in single coverage which at least 1 of them should be at any one time, I would throw it up and let them do their thing.

Run outside, roll the pocket at times, it should be interesting if their is snow on the ground or it's really wet, if Romo can juke and jive back there to avoid pressure.

I would try my best to throw some quick hitters like slants, WR screens, fades, anything that is quick.

And pray. :D

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
ideal game plan:

the one that has us score more pts than them and win the game

reddyuta

Reaction score
blitz ben often and on offense use bennett and Roy E more-witten might be limited here because of polamalu.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
1. Run the ball even it is not effective - 20 carries for 50 yards is better than abandoning the run altogether.

2. Move Witten around. We will likely go into this game with only 3 WR (I expect Stanback to be inactive). Witten in the slot, out of the backfield. Possibly a little of this with Bennett if he can handle it. With Barber limited this is our short passing game.

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Good thread.

No such thing as a magic gameplan to help deal with the problems an excellent defense presents.

This is no different than any other game and will come down to two key elements.
1) How well Garrett understands the talent and schemes of the Pitt defense. How well will Witten do attempting to uncover against Polamalu? How well will Gurode do blocking Hampton?
Polamalu is a great player, but he is only 5-10. Might he have some trouble covering 6-5 Witten or 6-6 Bennett? What type routes can excentuate that height advantage?

2) Individual player execution.

As far as what I would do and what I expect the Pit defense to try to do against us.

I've said plenty of times that I prefer two TEs and two WRs. It simply puts the best players on the field and causes the most matchup problems.

I don't expect a lot of blitzing from Pit. Believe it's well documented that that is not the best way to defense Romo and this offense. I'm anticipating a lot of 3 to 4 man rushes with many bodies in coverage.
I think Pit will look to take away the big play. Look to trick Romo into throwing into coverage or at least force him to go short and come up and punish the receivers. Make us go 9 plays to score.

We will have to counter that with execution. Romo must be given excellent time against the 3 to 4 man rush and the receivers have to hold onto the ball. We will have to take advanatge of this strategy and ware them out with long drives.

Specifically I'd like to see Witten often in motion to determine if he's Palomalu's man and throw and run away from him. Attempt to minimize his impact.
Run a lot of pitches to Barber or Choice to minimize Hampton's impact.

J-DOG

Reaction score
NextGenBoys;2462414 said:
So we know Pitt has a great defense blah blah.

Question is, how would you attack it?

They are great at stopping the run AND the pass. Do you run the ball at the risk of facing 3rd and longs in order to create balance to open things up later in the passing game?

Or do you pass early and risk going 3 and out and facing sacks and interceptions, since their defense is so hard to run on?

Personally, if Barber is anything less than 80% , I want us to use the short passing game, out of two TE set to keep them guessing. The emergence of Bennett is huge as it makes our two TE sets that much more deadly and keeps the defense guessing.
I say we flip the switch on how we use Barber for this game.
With Barber iffy and his toe as an issue...We should pass when he is in the game. Let Barber pick up Harrison and Palamalau on the blitzes.
When Choice is in the game we run the majority of the time.
Using them this way does 2 things...it allows Barber our best blocking rb to pick up Pittsburgh's elaborate blitzes. Also it saves Barber wear and tear on running the football with the bad toe. Choice can cocentrate on just running the ball and give him a small package of pass plays where he knows exactly where he is suppose to be to pick up blitzes.