Creeper

Reaction score
LT-Tyron Smith
LG- Larry Allen
C- Mark Stepnoski
RG-Zack Martin
RT- Erik Williams

I win

I agree, you win. This is the right answer. Although, I would have to give consideration to Rayfield Wright at RT - Even though Erik Williams is my hero.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Haha. Several times! I almost put Erik Williams but what changed my mind was his only being effective about 4 years. After the wreck, he was a shell of what he had been. Collins is still getting better IMO.

I have to say I usually look forward to reading your posts, and I agree with you often. However....Collins over Erik Williams?

Williams made 1st team All Pro twice after his car wreck. Even a "shell" of himself was a pretty good lineman.

Also, the OP asked for an all-time starting line-up. There was no time requirement involved. Jackie Slater played 19 years as RT for the Rams, and he was a stellar player the entire time. But would I take Slater over Williams if I had to line up against the 75 Steelers or 85 Bears front four? Not a chance.

Gale Sayers played only three seasons with two healthy knees, and yet anyone and everyone who saw him play would tell you he was unquestionably one of the best RBs in NFL history. Greatness, not longevity, earned him his yellow jacket (the youngest player ever inducted into Canton).

And Rafferty over Frederick and Step?

For me, the hardest call is RT. Rayfield Wright, the true "Big Cat," was a great tackle, and he had the utmost respect from Deacon Jones, who's probably the greatest DE ever not named Reggie White. Jones said Wright was the best pass blocking tackle he ever faced. With Tyron Smith locking down LT, if I had to put a line-up together to win a SB, I'd still take a healthy Williams over Wright. In fact, if I had to name an all-time NFL team based on talent, I'd have Anthony Munoz and Williams as my starting tackles.

My Cowboys' all-time O-line:

LT - Tyron Smith (back-up Mark Tuinei)
LG - Larry Allen (back-up Nate Newton)
C - Frederick (back-up Step)
RG - Martin (back-up John Niland)
RT - Williams (back-up, Wright)

Another thread discussed franchises' all-time teams. I am convinced the Cowboys would produce the greatest offensive line of all-time -- better than the Rams, Raiders, Dolphins, Commanders, Packers, Steelers or Pats. Dallas would also roll out one of the greatest front fours of any franchise, and certainly in the top five.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have to say I usually look forward to reading your posts, and I agree with you often. However....Collins over Erik Williams?

Williams made 1st team All Pro twice after his car wreck. Even a "shell" of himself was a pretty good lineman.

Also, the OP asked for an all-time starting line-up. There was no time requirement involved. Jackie Slater played 19 years as RT for the Rams, and he was a stellar player the entire time. But would I take Slater over Williams if I had to line up against the 75 Steelers or 85 Bears front four? Not a chance.

Gale Sayers played only three seasons with two healthy knees, and yet anyone and everyone who saw him play would tell you he was unquestionably one of the best RBs in NFL history. Greatness, not longevity, earned him his yellow jacket (the youngest player ever inducted into Canton).

And Rafferty over Frederick and Step?

For me, the hardest call is RT. Rayfield Wright, the true "Big Cat," was a great tackle, and he had the utmost respect from Deacon Jones, who's probably the greatest DE ever not named Reggie White. Jones said Wright was the best pass blocking tackle he ever faced. With Tyron Smith locking down LT, if I had to put a line-up together to win a SB, I'd still take a healthy Williams over Wright. In fact, if I had to name an all-time NFL team based on talent, I'd have Anthony Munoz and Williams as my starting tackles.

My Cowboys' all-time O-line:

LT - Tyron Smith (back-up Mark Tuinei)
LG - Larry Allen (back-up Nate Newton)
C - Frederick (back-up Step)
RG - Martin (back-up John Niland)
RT - Williams (back-up, Wright)

Another thread discussed franchises' all-time teams. I am convinced the Cowboys would produce the greatest offensive line of all-time -- better than the Rams, Raiders, Dolphins, Commanders, Packers, Steelers or Pats. Dallas would also roll out one of the greatest front fours of any franchise, and certainly in the top five.
Good post and I think that’s a fair criticism of me for not picking Erik Williams over La’el Collins on my second team list. I can see that. What I can’t agree with you on is putting Erik Williams, a great player no doubt, ahead of Rayfield Wright, Hall of Famer. The Big Cat was one of the best players we’ve ever had period. Erik W was great for about 4 years.

Again, you’re right on target about Williams over Collins. But Williams over the BigCat? Can’t agree with that brother.

75boyz

Reaction score
For this exercise, let's assume these guys are all in their primes...

For me I can't help but learn upon my experience..

LT - Tyrone Smith
LG - LA
C - Fredbeard
RG - The President
RT - Big Cat!!

I hope most of us can't see how this wouldn't work...

Can't wait to see the old-timer's tell me I'm stupid! Lol!

Big E, Tyron, Zach, Larry Allen and Rayfield Wright

Now as to what positions, not sure.

fivetwos

Reaction score
some truly GREAT ones not yet used...
☆OT Pat Donovan
☆OG Herb Scott
☆C John Fitzgerald
☆OG Nate Newton
☆OT Tony Liscio
Pat Donovan is a seriously underrated player in the history of this franchise.

Tyron will eventually pass him by, he just hasn't quite yet in my book.

LT: Donovan
LG: Allen
C: Rafferty (close w Fred)
RG: Martin
RT: Wright (very close w Williams)

cowboyec

Reaction score

totally agree.
•4x pro bowler
•Super Bowl Champ
•played in 6 NFC Championship Games
•9 yrs...never missed a game

erod

Reaction score
Tyron Smith
Larry Allen
Tom Rafferty
Nate Newton
Rayfield Wright

This is not being kind to Ralph Neely, Pat Donovan, Erik Williams, Blaine Nye, or Mark Tuinei.

Watch La'el Collins. I've been critical of his slow start, but he's starting to really get it. He was better than Martin and Tyron last year.

erod

Reaction score

LT - Tyrone Smith
LG - LA
C - Fredbeard
RG - The President
RT - Big Cat!!

Great list, but Leon Lett didn't play right tackle.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Flozell deserves a nod here, but he will never be on a top 5 all time team.

He was solid. Same with guys like Nate, and Tuinei, and Jim Cooper, and Blaine Nye, and others I'm forgetting that I may need help with.

Other than the period of time when Jerry said he didnt have to invest in the OL because Hudson Houck was the highest paid OL coach in the league, the organization has been solid there.

MichaelValentino

Reaction score
Good post and I think that’s a fair criticism of me for not picking Erik Williams over La’el Collins on my second team list. I can see that. What I can’t agree with you on is putting Erik Williams, a great player no doubt, ahead of Rayfield Wright, Hall of Famer. The Big Cat was one of the best players we’ve ever had period. Erik W was great for about 4 years.

Again, you’re right on target about Williams over Collins. But Williams over the BigCat? Can’t agree with that brother.

Isn't it great that we can disagree over two players the caliber of Rayfield Wright and Erik Williams, and that the Cowboys have had such talent along the offensive line?

Wright was great, as I've agreed. But Williams would also be in Canton if not for his wreck. A retaining wall, not opposing linemen, is why he doesn't have a bust.

In SB X, I would have preferred Erik Williams, pre-crash, over Wright vs. L.C. Greenwood (who had a monster game). Williams dominated everyone in front of him, including HOFers like Reggie White, Michael Strahan and (in limited snaps) Bruce Smith. I'm not sure Wright could have been as dominant run-blocking vs guys like White as the Big E was, but he was undoubtedly one of the best pass blocking tackles of his era and was plenty good in the run game as well.

Qcard

Reaction score

LT - Tyrone Smith
LG - LA
C - Fredbeard
RG - The President
RT - Big Cat!!

LT - Tyron Smith

LG - Larry Allen

C - Zach Martin

RG - Nate Newton

RT - Erik Williams

:lmao2:this is NOT FAIR!!!

joseephuss

Reaction score

That book must be a tough read. Donovan was a fine player. Played 9 seasons with Dallas and made 4 pro-bowls. Smith has also played 9 seasons with the Cowboys and made 7 pro-bowls and been all-pro 2 times. Smith passed Donovan a while ago.

fivetwos

Reaction score
That book must be a tough read. Donovan was a fine player. Played 9 seasons with Dallas and made 4 pro-bowls. Smith has also played 9 seasons with the Cowboys and made 7 pro-bowls and been all-pro 2 times. Smith passed Donovan a while ago.
Pro Bowls and All Pro is measured against who else may be in the league at the time.

Patrick Ewing stunk because he didnt win title because Jordan was in his way.

Theres nothing wrong with Tyron Smith, but I've seem them both play. Tyron gets his due, Donovan does not.

eromeopolk

Reaction score

LT - Tyrone Smith
LG - LA
C - Fredbeard
RG - The President
RT - Big Cat!!

Best All Time OL:
LT - Pat Donovan - Rings and Things, convert DL to OL
LG - Herb Scott - Best Pulling Guard in Football
C - Mark Stepnoski - Mr. Technique
RG - Larry Allen - Best All Time
RT - Rayfield Wright - Yes, The Big Cat

Best Era Cowboys OL:
4 Irishmen and a Scott
LT - Pat Donovan
LG - Herb Scott
C - John Fitzgerald
RG - Tom Rafferty
RT - Jim Cooper

cowboyec

Reaction score
he'll never be on any all-time list...but i was a fan of OG Crawford Ker.
:thumbup:

quickccc

Reaction score
1st Team
OT - Rayfield Wright
OT - Erik Williams
OG - Larry Allen
OG - Zack Martin
C - Travis Fredrick

2nd Team
OT - Tyrone Smith
OT - Pat Donovan
OG - Nate Newton
OG - Herb Scott
C - Mark Stepnoski

Most Underrated
C - Tom Rafferty
OG - Ron Stone
OG - Kevin Gogan
OT - Marc Columbo
OT - Mark Tuniea

Most Overrated
C - Andre Gurode
OG - Leonard Davis
OG - Crawford Ker
OT - Flozell Adams
OT - Doug Free

Again my apologies to the Non-Hall of Famers from the 60's era, as i choose to go with the guys i have seen
physically seen play extensively in my lifetime.
:rolleyes:

Next List comin' ? ... " next man up " ? :thumbup:

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score

LT - Tyrone Smith
LG - LA
C - Fredbeard
RG - The President
RT - Big Cat!!

1993 Erik Williams
1995 Larry Allen
2016 Travis Frederick
2016 Zach Martin
2014 Tyron Smith