*** Your thoughts on the CowboysZone Upgrade so far? ***

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It just seems odd and awkward to navigate. Why was a change needed.
From the first post in this thread ..

Why did you upgrade now?
We were having issues with a couple of things and the older software and servers were limiting our ability to add new features that we have planned.

Outside of a few minor differences, most of the site should be very similar to the old site both in appearance and functionality.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
While i am glad to still have Cowboys Zone forum in any sense., i don't like that:
- I can no longer post fun pics,
Read this first ..
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you...e-upgrade-so-far.505834/page-13#post-12492492

Then this one ..
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you...e-upgrade-so-far.505834/page-16#post-12497697

- no true search tool within the site, not resort to outside Google for such forum search.
The old site did not have search either because their implementation of it is REALLY bad and can bring the site to a standstill for several seconds to minutes for everyone. As I mentioned in previous posts, I am going to look into the new search system and if that is not any better I will consider writing one myself.

- Several key emotiocons are gone.
Can you give examples? All of the old emojis should be on the new site, though some of the basic ones (smile, angry, etc.) have been replaced with better looking ones.

- Still cannot re-edit my previous posts outside 20 minutes
This was always the case and we have no plans to change this. It was 10-15 minutes on the old site and may be moved back to that. Once one or more members have read your post, editing it has no impact on those members.

Seems like the site workings have been downsized. Maybe to make it less expensive ?
No idea what you are referring to, but we actually upgraded to a higher tier of enterprise servers which cost more than the old servers. If we wanted to save money it would have been smarter to stay on the old servers.

Runwildboys

Confused about stuff
Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
Read this first ..
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you...e-upgrade-so-far.505834/page-13#post-12492492

Then this one ..
https://cowboyszone.com/threads/you...e-upgrade-so-far.505834/page-16#post-12497697

The old site did not have search either because their implementation of it is REALLY bad and can bring the site to a standstill for several seconds to minutes for everyone. As I mentioned in previous posts, I am going to look into the new search system and if that is not any better I will consider writing one myself.

Can you give examples? All of the old emojis should be on the new site, though some of the basic ones (smile, angry, etc.) have been replaced with better looking ones.

This was always the case and we have no plans to change this. It was 10-15 minutes on the old site and may be moved back to that. Once one or more members have read your post, editing it has no impact on those members.

No idea what you are referring to, but we actually upgraded to a higher tier of enterprsie servers which cost more than the old servers. If we wanted to save money it would have been smarter to stay on the old servers.
The editing thing is something I'd like to adjust as well. Sometimes you make a mistake and don't realize it until someone quotes you, then you keep getting replies even after explaining that you erred.

I know, it's hard to believe I've made a mistake, but hey, sometimes it's hard to type and save the world at the same time! :cool:

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The editing thing is something I'd like to adjust as well. Sometimes you make a mistake and don't realize it until someone quotes you, then you keep getting replies even after explaining that you erred.

I know, it's hard to believe I've made a mistake, but hey, sometimes it's hard to type and save the world at the same time! :cool:
The editing was increased to 20 minutes which is longer than it was before.

There is a moderation reason why forums do not allow long editing periods, so at best it will remain at 20 minutes and at worst it will be reduced back to 10 minutes.

I highly recommend everyone re-read their post after posting it and they can easily fix any problems with it.

Otherwise, you can ask a moderator to edit it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.