You're the Head Coach ...

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Alright C_l_4e, assuming you're talking about the Cowboys, are you stating that you would acquire a backup QB or are you stating you'd replace Bledsoe? By the way, what Position did Dat play?
Starting QB - I want a dynasty not a stop gap situation - And kicker

silver

Reaction score
Hiero said:
#1 Brady Quinn or another top notch college QB to be drews replacement whenever.
#2 Marcus McNeill as RT to dominate
#3 All star ILB
#4 Mike Vanderjagt

i like this plan. vanderjagt is the key. no way we can draft quinn at the end of the first round (ahem, assuming of course we win the superbowl). what can we trade to get high enough to draft him? maybe we can sign jimmy just to run the draft for us.

AmishCowboy

if you ain't first, you're last
Reaction score
I think O-line for the cowboys, D-line for the Skins, secondary for the Giants and WR or OLB for the Eagles.

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
silver said:
i like this plan. vanderjagt is the key. no way we can draft quinn at the end of the first round (ahem, assuming of course we win the superbowl). what can we trade to get high enough to draft him? maybe we can sign jimmy just to run the draft for us.
We need another OLB as well, someone to seal off those edges and apply serious pressure on QB's.

silver

Reaction score
Phoenix-Talon said:
Actually, I feel the same about D-Mac.

how's mcmahon doing? i always liked him. i liked him even better than quincy in the 2001 draft. i don't know with the situation in philly that even dan marino in his prime would help. TO really destroyed your team.

silver

Reaction score
Cowboy_love_4ever said:
We need another OLB as well, someone to seal off those edges and apply serious pressure on QB's.

well hopefully next year burnett develops into that. i would hate to have another second rounder go to waste in the parcells era.

fortdick

Reaction score
I don't think this draft is the one to take a QB higher than the third round. I would give Bledsoe one more year with a healthly/improved OLine before looking for a replacement. Other than Leinert, what is there out there that compares to Brady Quinn?

I wasn't convinced we needed an ILB until the last three games. Now it appears to be our top concern on defense. Free Safety has moved to third in my opinion. OLB is second.

Biggest need is to strengthen the OLine. Do that through the draft, or through FA, it doesn't matter. I think both Johnson and Pettiti can play with time, but Tucker has got to go! We need to look to replace LA and back up Flo.

Here are the top three needs as I see it:

1. ILB
2. OLB
3. OT

Next three:

4. FB
5. WR
6. PK

silver

Reaction score
maybe we should just trade out of the second round:

2003 - Al Johnson - starting but inconsistent (most fans looking for his replacement)
2004 - Julius Jones - ditto
2004 - Jacob Rogers - injuries and bad play doomed him. still on IR. gone the minute he passes a physical
2005- kevin burnett - slowed by injuries and hasn't seen too much playing time despite injuries to 2 starters. In coaches dog house from day one

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
fortdick said:
I don't think this draft is the one to take a QB higher than the third round. I would give Bledsoe one more year with a healthly/improved OLine before looking for a replacement. Other than Leinert, what is there out there that compares to Brady Quinn?

I wasn't convinced we needed an ILB until the last three games. Now it appears to be our top concern on defense. Free Safety has moved to third in my opinion. OLB is second.

Biggest need is to strengthen the OLine. Do that through the draft, or through FA, it doesn't matter. I think both Johnson and Pettiti can play with time, but Tucker has got to go! We need to look to replace LA and back up Flo.

Here are the top three needs as I see it:

1. ILB
2. OLB
3. OT

Next three:

4. FB
5. WR
6. PK
I say
1.OT
2.ILB
3.WR
4.C
5.OLB
7.FS

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
Draft:
Philadelphia Eagles – Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
With Terrell Owens not likely to be in Philly in ‘06, the Eagles could use another wideout, but they also run a lot of two-tight end sets, so Lewis would be a solid pick

Dallas Cowboys – Michael Huff, S/CB Texas or Eric Winston, OT Miami (FL)
Huff would fit the Cowboys’ defense nicely as a free safety and his cover skills make him a great compliment to Roy Williams at strong safety.

New York Giants – Nick Mangold, C Ohio State
Mangold would not only be an upgrade at center, but he could also provide depth at all three interior line positions.

Parcells.....OL, LB, FS

Gibbs....OL, DB, S

Giants....DL, DB, QB

Reed......WR, WR, WR

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
silver said:
how's mcmahon doing? i always liked him. i liked him even better than quincy in the 2001 draft.

Good question Silver. I like McMahon too! But he's not the answer as a backup QB in Philly. McNabb has been out with injuries in 2003, 2004 and now in 2005. He's good while he's Healthy, But he needs to expand his field awareness efforts and reduce trhe number of interceptions he throw. But you know what, it's Not even about his turnover ratio -- it's about his turnover ratio in pivotal games that's in question. Many are saying that a lot of that can be attributed toward his injuries. Ok I'll give him the benefit of doubt and see what He does next year. But in the mean time, I'd Like to have a quality backup QB acquired.

Phoenix-Talon

Eagles Fan Liaison
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Draft:
Philadelphia Eagles – Marcedes Lewis, TE UCLA
With Terrell Owens not likely to be in Philly in ‘06, the Eagles could use another wideout, but they also run a lot of two-tight end sets, so Lewis would be a solid pick

Reed......WR, WR, WR

I'm hearing you! But you know what ...I'm starting to question Andy Reid's aggressiveness, his decision making during pivotal games, and his ability to coach high profile players (perhaps if the T.O. situation had Been handled differently ...)

followthestar

Reaction score
i won't speak to the needs of other teams, but as for the Cowboys:

1. Adams should be back at LT, but its the Center position that worries me most. Having said that, i would simply draft the highest rated OL regardless of position, then shuffle accordingly.

2. I believe our secondary is solid - its the lack of pressure up front that is killing us. OLB is my second draft pick - a guy who can rush the passer and has good coverage skills.

3. Everything depends on the OL, both generating holes to run thru and protecting the QB. Bledsoe has shown that with decent time, he can get the job done, and Jones and Barber are both starting-grade RBs. My third pick is another OL. Tucker is done, and Gurode and Peterman as well. We can't afford another FA OL, so I would draft another OL with the third pick.

EDIT: I believe Romo can handle the backup QB position, if he is ever given the chance. I don't see the need for another QB to be brought in. Henson should continue to develop - i wouldn't give up on him until after next year.

lspain1

Reaction score
followthestar said:
i won't speak to the needs of other teams, but as for the Cowboys:

1. Adams should be back at LT, but its the Center position that worries me most. Having said that, i would simply draft the highest rated OL regardless of position, then shuffle accordingly.

2. I believe our secondary is solid - its the lack of pressure up front that is killing us. OLB is my second draft pick - a guy who can rush the passer and has good coverage skills.

3. Everything depends on the OL, both generating holes to run thru and protecting the QB. Bledsoe has shown that with decent time, he can get the job done, and Jones and Barber are both starting-grade RBs. My third pick is another OL. Tucker is done, and Gurode and Peterman as well. We can't afford another FA OL, so I would draft another OL with the third pick.

EDIT: I believe Romo can handle the backup QB position, if he is ever given the chance. I don't see the need for another QB to be brought in. Henson should continue to develop - i wouldn't give up on him until after next year.

Not saying I disagree with your thoughts followthestar, but taking your approach will doom us next year. I would like to take an approach that lets us make a run next year. Maybe I'm being blindly optimistic but I'd try the following:

1. Take a look at the FA market to see if there is any value on the O-Line. No splashy big contracts but see if there is some proven talent to get at a reasonable price. If we need cap room to swing this then let Glover go to pay for this move. Columbo's real potential and attitude on coming back from his injury will influence how seriously I look.

2. Draft the best LB available in Round 1. This guy must contribute immediately.

3. Draft the best OL in Round 2 becasue there are usually good ones left. Item 1's result says whether or not he must contribute immediately.

4. Remainder of the draft in no particular order....I'm still not happy with the FS position. I want a sure fire ST player who will compete for this job. This player must be athletic and smart (Beriault may be a player but his injury and lack of speed make him iffy). I would like some new WR talent to begin development.

Concord

Mr. Buckeye
Reaction score
parchy said:
If we don't go after a quarterback in the draft, I'm moving to Guam.

You can't get off that easy...They do have Satellites in Guam...And of course the Internet! :D

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
#1 sign Phil Simms as QB
#2 sign LT to play LB
#3 sign Otis Anderson to play RB
#4 sign Jim Burt to anchor the line

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
1. Offensive Tackle - I'd look more at the draft to protect for the future, but this has to be improved (I still think it can be improved as I beleive Tucker could play RT in a serviceable fashion and Pettiti will get better, but they need to try and have two very good OT's and prevent from getting into another situation they are in).

2. Guard - This one I had difficulty with since they do have needs at LB and Free Safety. The one big problem is that they haven't had good run blocking for years. But the bigger issue is that both of the starting guards are 33 years old. I'd love to see them get LeCharles Bentley in FA and then pick up a guard in the 2nd or 3rd round. Bentley could play center or guard and that would greatly help with depth.

3. Free Safety - Came down to LB or FS for the last pick. I think next year they should get better at LB with Thornton coming back, Ware getting better, Burnett getting better, and Fujita getting better. Plus Al Singleton would be coming back. Depth would still be a bit of an issue, but if they could stay healthy and these guys get better like they should.......I think the LB unit would be fine.

But with injuries to Henry and Aaron Glenn and the shakiness of Pile and Davis' coverage, they are moving Roy Williams more into the free safety spot as of late as they simply do not trust the coverage of Pile and Davis (more Davis than Pile).

Eventually, teams will start to find ways to target Pile and Davis and even if they don't....the pass rush and CB play has dramatically improved and neither guy has an INT.

These are all dream world scenarios. In real world scenarios, I'd look at a decent run blocking center in free agency. Right tackle in round one. Guard in 2nd or 3rd round. FS in either FA or round 5.

Rich.......