You're the new GM. now what?

dallas72

Reaction score
Incorrect. You just don't see things holistically. You are trading unknown and known values for unknown and known values.

How much will it cost to pay Cooper and Prescott next year? Long term? Will their play match their new contracts? Do you know either of these things?
1. u cant trade Dak or Amari both are free agents
2. Trying to find a QB in the draft which is a 70% fail rate is dumb
3. So u wanna draft a QB hope hes a 30% guy take 2-3 years to develop and then the oline all need contracts lol your a troll this isnt Madden

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
So you're the new GM and you have total control over the roster of this team. Who do you keep... who do you trade for draft picks and what other moves do you make and why?

Very very simple actually.

-I go for the best right off the bat with coaching. If Brady retires, I try everything to get Belli. If not, I try for Payton. Then I go for all the best big college guys. Get the best coach in here and let him hire his own staff. EVERY single coach.

-Then I at least try to trade Zeke. See if anyone would give us a first for him. I get rid of that contract #1. Try to sign Cooper and Dak at somewhat reasonable contracts. If one or the other is being ridiculous I franchise.

-See if I can sign Byron Jones, but I don't break the bank on him.

-I try to resign Quinn also. 8-10m will work

-I make the defense my #1priority. Need some run stuffing DT's and safeties big time. Use FA, the draft, whatever.

-If Zeke is gone I sign a quality veteran and use a 3rd or 4th round pick on another back.

-I also make getting a quality backup QB a priority.

-Wouldn't mind putting Jaylon Smith at outside linebacker and signing a hard nosed guy to play the middle on running downs. Keep Smith and LVE as outside guys.

I want my team to be defense first. DC is a huge hire.

For the offense I am looking to improve the TE situation. Usually a couple of quality guys available in FA. Witten is done.

I also bring back a great blocking FB that can catch the ball.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
1. I Hire Urban Meyer and fire the entire current staff.
2. I hire John Fox as defensive coordinator.
3. I franchise Dak.
4. I sign Cooper to a 4 year 80 million dollar deal.
5. I re-sign Quinn, Sua Filo, Looney, Heath,Cobb.
6. I pick up Jawrin and Antwaun woods options(cheap RFAs)
7. I find a big strong DT in FA(Brandon Williams)
8. I draft:
1. DT (with size kinlaw or Davis )
2. CB
3. S. ( a Ss who excellent in run support)
4.TE
5. LB
5. WR
7. OL

9. I tell Joe Jackson to bulk up because I’m moving him to 3technique.
10. I trade for Hayden Hurst(ravens have 3 good TE)
11. I tell Witten and Lee thank you.

Sign Heath? Wow...….why? You completely lost me there.

CowboyRoy

Reaction score
As I said before the trade deadline, I would have traded Cooper and Prescott and used those picks to find myself a Quarterback. Use whatever I have leftover on the defensive line. Get rid of Crawford and put some money towards a disruptive DT.

Gotta love the "find myself a QB" line.

Like that is easy or something. Even the haters like you admit that Dak is at least average. So that means there are 13 or so QB's better. How you going to get one of those?

Galian Beast

Reaction score
3. So u wanna draft a QB hope hes a 30% guy take 2-3 years to develop and then the oline all need contracts lol your a troll this isnt Madden

1. Learn to read, I said this before the trade deadline.
2. We still haven't found a QB.
3. Most of the offensive line is signed through 2023-24...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
Gotta love the "find myself a QB" line.

Like that is easy or something. Even the haters like you admit that Dak is at least average. So that means there are 13 or so QB's better. How you going to get one of those?

That's not how that works.

Zordon

Reaction score
That's not how that works.
You're not intrigued at seeing Dak with a new coaching staff? Or is the money so much that you don't care? I agree with you about Cooper. I'd throw Jaylon in there as trade bait too.

CCBoy

Reaction score
So you're the new GM and you have total control over the roster of this team. Who do you keep... who do you trade for draft picks and what other moves do you make and why?
First thing, see if the check bounces...

Galian Beast

Reaction score
You're not intrigued at seeing Dak with a new coaching staff? Or is the money so much that you don't care? I agree with you about Cooper. I'd throw Jaylon in there as trade bait too.

Dak Prescott will never be an elite QB. I wouldn't pay him as such. So the answer was obvious to trade him to the Steelers before it was too late to get anything for him. To even get compensatory picks for them now, the team will really need to stay cheap in free agency, which is a shame.

You could have sold high on both of them before the trade deadline. No one is giving much for Smith right now.

So many on this site don't see opportunity costs and the same is true for the front office. It's why they re-signed Demarcus Lawrence. I can't recall the last time we got a 1st round draft pick for a player.

Can anyone remember the last time we got a 2nd round draft pick for a player? A 3rd?

Creeper

Reaction score
The caveat is that Jerry is away from the team management otherwise my first action would be to padlock all the doors to my office and the coaching staff offices to keep Jerry out. Then as the new GM, I would first hire a new coaching staff. I'd look for a coach with a good understanding of the NFL game, NFL talent levels and the Cowboys roster.

Unlike a few other people, I would not dump the entire team without a plan. If every player on the roster that someone suggested should be cut or traded was actually cut or traded, I think the only player left would be the long snapper! That is simply unrealistic. There is a lot of talent on this team and I would want my coaches to bring out the best in that talent. In fact, that would be on the short list of qualifications for my new coach. At the same time, any coaching candidate who came in to interview and was okay with current defense schemes I would be show him the door.

And this is why I would not make any rash decisions on players. A better defensive scheme would help these players perform better. They don't need to be cut, they need to be put in a better position to succeed. Same with the offense.

Of course there are decisions to be made about free agents. I would make Dak an offer of no more than $35 million a year, negotiating the amount to be guaranteed. If he doesn;t take it, I'd tag him. Remembering the
Quincy Carter years, its not easy finding a QB. I would offer Cooper maybe $14 million, or in that ball park. See what he wants. I'd sign Anthony Brown, Antuan Woods, and Covington, because we need players. I'd see what Byron Jones wants and if the price is right re-sign him as well but I would not break the bank for him. Its all about the salary cap now. What do we have left? What free agents are available? With 18 free agents in 2020, the cap space we have will go quickly. I am not a person that would renegotiate bad contracts to push cap impact out into the future. I want to avoid cap jail. But I would change the philosophy of not signing top tier fee agents if the right players are available. With that in mind, I would be looking for an impact safety and/or DT. I am fine with trading future picks but never in the 1st two rounds unless its a steal and I know I can sign the players I pick up.

I'd also look at DEs. Quinn is a one trick pony. I want an DE who can play the run too. btw, my new coach would not be shy about throwing in some all out blitzes in certain situations, like 3rd and 10 from the 2 yard line and that's because my new coach would not play soft coverages but would get his DBs up close and have them stick like glue to the receivers, after giving them a good bump off their routes. In other words, I want my coaches aggressive on defense.

Realistically, I know that I cannot get all the players I want my first year so I would create a 3 year plan making sure I can retain the players I want and have the opportunities to add talent to the core group.

Finally, injuries happen to every team. Nothing can be done about that. But a GM should immerse himself in the injuries of his own players. Players with chronic injuries are a weakness for the team. They have to be replaced sooner rather than later. If a player is not going to recover 100% then is not the same player I think he is. Plan for his replacement, even if its Tyron Smith.

This is the short version.

cowboyec

Reaction score
let the season play-out.
encourage coaches to institute "fines" for poor play,missed assignments,etc.

at seasons end I dont resign Garrett.

after trying to land Belichick Im excited to announce Urban Meyer as the next Head-Coach of The Dallas Cowboys...who will immediately begin putting HIS staff together.

I and the player personnel dept begin the process of scouting for the draft and f/a acqusition....including fiding a fat-belly run stuffer who eats people.....and some DBs...and a real full-back if Meyer wants one.

among our own is extending Dak and Amari and trying like hell to keep Byron Jones.

jsb357

Reaction score
jerry would fire me within a day when i close the door from the owners box to the locker room

Pessimist_cowboy

Reaction score
I want nothing to do with A Woods. Seasons on the line and he finds time to go get his weed and is stupid enough to get caught. No thanks.
If he’s not suspended he’s a 1 year rental as a RFA. It will cost almost nothing. I don’t want him back as the starter. He would be fine as the backup 1DT.

Ron12

Reaction score
This is not how you start as GM the first & only step is replacing the HC &the entire staff including strength staff & medical . Who I hire to be HC is the most important move thing you then worry about the other steps after you sit down with the man who is your HC .:thumbup:

Reverend Conehead

Reaction score

First thing I do is get rid of the green-tinted home pants and replace them with grey ones that look like the 70s era ones. Then for the blue jerseys, I bring back the grey numbers like they had in the 90s.

jay94

Reaction score
To start of I trade Zeke even giving a pick away, for another team to take the contract if that is possible, if not were screwed. Dak and Amari are both musts.

quickccc

Reaction score
1) First off. I meet with my management team discuss departure exit of the HC, future HC ideas and plans, players/assist coaching evaluations – so as to have our final impressions set to
relay over to new HC.

2) Get an idea and credentials of what kind of HC team is looking for – how he will factor in Dak’s future, coaching atmosphere, scheme/strategic on both sides of the ball and specialize areas, etc.

3) Meet/Hire the coveted HC, discuss player/ coaches evaluations, get his assessment plans on coaches he’d prefer to keep or replace anew, discuss certain players preferred to keep,
replace or bring in anew; per FA, cap cut, draft or possible trade. (BTW, I’m only trading for Jamal Adams if they can meet acceptable terms of a 2nd round this yr and 3rd rd next yr picks)
..and brief HC on cap plan structure.

4) Any player acquisition or departure would have to heavily involve new HC’s schematic preferences.

5) if I management feel that strong enough about a proven commodity young asst. coach, I will try to a strong influence (not insistence) on new HC to keep. (ala Columbo)