Youtube about to buy Twitch for 1 billion

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Probably very few in here know what Twitch is, but it is a streaming site for gamers(video). They have tournaments, professional gamers, let's play gamers etc. streaming. You would be surprised how many millions watch this on Twitch.

https://games.yahoo.com/blogs/plugg...-acquire-twitch-for--1-billion-162116663.html

Twitch has been on a rocket ride since last November thanks to its partnerships with the PlayStation 4 and Xbox One. The company says it has over 45 million monthly unique visitors, including 1 million streaming and creating content on the site. Online video and networking firm Qwilt says streams from the site accounted for nearly 44 percent of live-streaming traffic in the U.S. for the week of April 7.

More importantly, the site's visitors don't just stick around for 3-5 minutes. They watch for hours at a time, which makes them extremely valuable to advertisers.

oops mods can you change the twith to Twitch in the title.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Once again I defer to the younger audience for some perspective on this. :cool:

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Google Giant taking over the earth 1 thing at a time!

Don't see a problem with This really. Twitch is awesome.. Youtube is awesome.. whateves.

Phoenix

Reaction score
Never heard of it

Me neither. Moreover, (from the article), never heard of this YouTube user either:

Gaming is a crucial component of online video, though. The most subscribed-to YouTube user, in fact, is Sweden's Felix Arvid Ulf Kjelberg, better known as PewDiePie, with over 26 million people keeping up with his gaming exploits.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
PEWDIEPIE!

Not a fan of his, but hard not to be aware of him.

Twitch is awesome though.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Sometimes I think I live a sheltered life. :)

You're probably just not very into the "Internet culture". I would assume most people over 30 would not be aware of people like that, or people who are only casual computer users.

If you live on the internet, youtube, facebook, etc, these things and "Internet famous" people tend to get around as fast as internet memes.

Pewdiepie is like a gamer version of uh.. Jenna Marbles? Tho good chance the same type of people wouldn't know Jenna Marbles either.. Or Epic Rap Battles.. etc.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
PEWDIEPIE!

Not a fan of his, but hard not to be aware of him.

Twitch is awesome though.

Heard of him and saw a video or two of him...don't see what others see and normally I like oddball stuff on youtube and so on.

I like watching the people who go into chat roulette and prank or go into the video games and do stuff.

Phoenix

Reaction score
You're probably just not very into the "Internet culture". I would assume most people over 30 would not be aware of people like that, or people who are only casual computer users.

If you live on the internet, youtube, facebook, etc, these things and "Internet famous" people tend to get around as fast as internet memes.

Pewdiepie is like a gamer version of uh.. Jenna Marbles? Tho good chance the same type of people wouldn't know Jenna Marbles either.. Or Epic Rap Battles.. etc.

Oh, I've been around since before the internet my friend, and have been on it since the first dark days of Mosaic. Gosh I miss the old BBS days ha ha.

I think my sheltered-ness here has much more to do with my not being a gamer whatsoever. I don't do BookFace at all, never will. The only social media I do at all is twitter and linkedin, really. I do a lot of YouTube for only for music.

And you are correct - who in the world is Jenna Marbles? Or Epic Rap Battles? Never heard of any of these people.

Teren_Kanan

Reaction score
Oh, I've been around since before the internet my friend, and have been on it since the first dark days of Mosaic. Gosh I miss the old BBS days ha ha.

I think my sheltered-ness here has much more to do with my not being a gamer whatsoever. I don't do BookFace at all, never will. The only social media I do at all is twitter and linkedin, really. I do a lot of YouTube for only for music.

And you are correct - who in the world is Jenna Marbles? Or Epic Rap Battles? Never heard of any of these people.

Jenna Marbles is just some "Internet famous" persona, she makes funny (sometimes?) youtube videos.

But Epic Rap Battles.. Look it up, you're missing out, they are hilarious and amazingly done. This coming from someone who pretty much abhors rap. But they are comedy pieces, not actual raps. The gist is, they take two characters from history (either fictional, or non fictional) and make them rap battle. They've even gotten popular enough to start having some well known people in them. Key and Peel, even Snoop Dogg.

Some Examples.

Einstein vs Stephen Hawking
Michael Jackson vs Elvis Presley

The most recent one is Superman vs Goku, but it has an F bomb in it so I won't link it, but it's great =p

There are like 30 others or so, some of them are really funny =p

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
Twitch is pretty cool for watching people play the games live if you like to watch some live game plays of things like CoD. I believe quite a few people do the live feeds of walk throughs on games like Fall Out or stuff like that but I'd imagine those get a lot more boring just because of the nature of the type of game.