Video: Youtube Scouting: Anthony Hitchens

LucaBrasi

Sleeps with the fishes
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to draft players who's upside is ST and backup role. Especially given the fact that the record and roster are mediocre to begin with. But, what do I know?

Another front office decision where I hope like hell I'm wrong, but too often end up right.

There are just too many instances of these type of decisions.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Yes, cut blocks are an problem for him. They should be able to coach him up on that issue.

He plays a disciplined style of football that most fans are not going to appreciate. If he is required to be on the inside shoulder of a block by an OL, then that's where he will be with the expectation that somebody else is maintaining their responsibility for outside contain. This will cause it to appear that he got boxed out on some plays but his technique appears to be very deliberate.

Fans like players that make splashy plays even if they play undisciplined football. It's like Farve vs Aikman. Many NFL fans loved the big plays that Farve made despite how many games he lost due to throwing INTs. Aikman didn't get the same accolades for playing disciplined, throw the ball away instead of throwing an INT type of football.

Guys like Ernie Sims have never been able to play disciplined football.

I don't doubt that entire D is disciplined but he's not around the ball enough to me. He's protected and even so I don't think he's in enough plays. But I don't know his assignments. Again I see the potential to fly to the ball and he flashes enough for me to think he'll improve.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I don't think it's a good idea to draft players who's upside is ST and backup role. Especially given the fact that the record and roster are mediocre to begin with. But, what do I know?

Another front office decision where I hope like hell I'm wrong, but too often end up right.

There are just too many instances of these type of decisions.

Not sure why people are so insistent he was drafted to just be a STs player and backup only. Of course that's true but if you take a LB on this team they are going to have to learn enough to beat someone out. It won't be Lee or Durant IMO. Carter as well most likely. So any LB drafted is going to be depth and in this case he's Lee's backup which means he'll likely play some snaps this year. Any player like him is going to have to play STs and do it well. If not then they are going to be pressed to keep him. His draft position protects him some though. I don't see him having problems playing STs though so mox nix. And Marinelli said he was versatile enough to backup or play other positions. He'll likely see some snaps due to injury even if not Lee. He could also see a few snaps on rushing the passer and maybe in the nickel in coverage.

What do people expect from a 4th round pick especially on this team at LB?

Zimmy Lives

Reaction score
Wow, that NE video (of Hutchins) is very bland.

He looks like the proverbial blind squirrel looking for a nut; every now and then he gets lucky. I realize he is a 4th round pick but I have a hard time finding anything positive about him. :(

NJ22

Reaction score
Man. I just don't get this pick.

It was a glimpse of the 09 mentality. " Well no one is taking Lees job so let's not even bother taking a guy like Smith from FSU who would be actual competetion, let's take a guy that knows he will be a backup... ". Again like the draft as a whole but this was a stinker. That is an 8-8 mentality. There should be NO spots where guys feel safe about their job on a team that's won nothing.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
The Hitchens pick has turned into the "Escobar" pick. The Cowboys will never live this 4th Round pick down until he goes out there and proves people wrong. Which is crazy but that's the name of the game I guess.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
It was a glimpse of the 09 mentality. " Well no one is taking Lees job so let's not even bother taking a guy like Smith from FSU who would be actual competetion, let's take a guy that knows he will be a backup... ". Again like the draft as a whole but this was a stinker. That is an 8-8 mentality. There should be NO spots where guys feel safe about their job on a team that's won nothing.

I disagree. Sean Lee has been hurt every year. Its not about "competition". They went and got a guy who could potentially start for them if Sean Lee goes down which is becoming the norm. Its not about IF Sean Lee gets hurt. Its when. 8-8 mentality is not hitting on your draft picks and them never progressing.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
So, at best then, the front office is looking for a ST stud and back up LBer. We are all looking at drafting a potential starter in the 4th round, so the pick looks disappointing from that perspective.

At the end of the day-- we just have to come to grips with the fact that the Dallas front office was fine with using a 4th round pick on a guy they considered a ST ace. I think you draft for talent-- not role-- and there were a TON of more talented players in the 4th round than Hitchens-- so to me, this pick is a huge FAIL from a value standpoint.

That said-- if the STs coach wanted a guy that badly, I guess there has to be the opportunity in the war room to campaign and make sure you get him… But, man-- this front office has zero credibility with me. Remember the "STs draft in 2009"?!

People have to stop singing this song.

Whenever you draft a linebacker outside the first two rounds, there is an expectation that he has to play ST. LBs are core ST players.

We didn't pick him because of ST. We picked him because we thought he could develop into a solid LB - while he develops he can contribute on ST and backup.

The last thing you want to do is draft an LB who doesn't really play ST at all. You do that and you end up having him inactive every game (see how Bobby Carpenter started his career with us).

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
People have to stop singing this song.

Whenever you draft a linebacker outside the first two rounds, there is an expectation that he has to play ST. LBs are core ST players.

We didn't pick him because of ST. We picked him because we thought he could develop into a solid LB - while he develops he can contribute on ST and backup.

The last thing you want to do is draft an LB who doesn't really play ST at all. You do that and you end up having him inactive every game (see how Bobby Carpenter started his career with us).

Also, I would be concerned about any LB that was not a good ST player. The same reason that Carpenter was not a good ST player is the same reason that he was a failed LB, he didn't enjoy contact.

NJ22

Reaction score
I disagree. Sean Lee has been hurt every year. Its not about "competition". They went and got a guy who could potentially start for them if Sean Lee goes down which is becoming the norm. Its not about IF Sean Lee gets hurt. Its when. 8-8 mentality is not hitting on your draft picks and them never progressing.

When Lee gets hurt this guy will not be close to the same talent level. That's why we can not recover when starters get injured. Drafting a lesser talent at any spot is just stupid no matter how you cut it.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
When Lee gets hurt this guy will not be close to the same talent level. That's why we can not recover when starters get injured. Drafting a lesser talent at any spot is just stupid no matter how you cut it.

Well of course it won't be the same talent level. You now want Pro Bowl talent as BACKUPS? The bar keeps getting raised lol.

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't have as much of a problem with the idea of drafting a guy to backup multiple positions and to play STs as a rookie. That's actually really important for a mid-rounder. And I don't mind the acknowledging it. I just think the guy looked unremarkable in college. I don't see any special recognition or athleticism or aggression. He's just a dude.

Last year at this time, we were watching highlights of Holloman and thinking the guy has a legitimate shot to develop into a starter. I feel the same way about Street, and about several of the 7th rounders this year, actually. But with Hitchens, I just find myself wondering what I'm missing.

Again, I like the guy's story, and I like what I hear about his ethic. That's all great. I hope he pans out. I just don't get what they saw in him to make him the 3rd selection in the draft given everybody else who was on the board at that point. We've got a lot of questions at LB already. I'd feel better if we'd added a rookie I could be a bit more excited about long-term.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
The Hitchens pick has turned into the "Escobar" pick. The Cowboys will never live this 4th Round pick down until he goes out there and proves people wrong. Which is crazy but that's the name of the game I guess.

On one hand, it is a 4th round choice. It just seems worse because we did not have a 3rd round pick and then followed up that with a fairly massive reach.

TheMarathonContinues

Reaction score
On one hand, it is a 4th round choice. It just seems worse because we did not have a 3rd round pick and then followed up that with a fairly massive reach.

Right. And I get that. I just find it unbelievable that we're scrutinizing a 4th round pick. In this year's draft....probably 30% of those guys taken will make it in this league. Probably 4 or 5 of the guys MIGHT be Pro Bowlers. I'm not saying throw away picks or anything like that but I do think maybe just maybe the Cowboys actually had a plan when they took Hitchens. The productivity was there.