Video: Youtube Scouting: Anthony Hitchens

tm1119

Reaction score
It was a bad pick and watching the tape doesnt help unfortunately. He looks like a downhill thumper who probably shouldn't even be on the field in the nickel. He actually probably would have been better off getting drafted by a 3-4 that will keep him mostly in the box. Big downhill LB's who like to hit people are a dime a dozen in the nfl unless they can also cover.

He will definitely have a role on the team and could even start at SAM in 2015, but there was still more than a few LB's with extremely similar skill sets drafted well after him.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It was a bad pick and watching the tape doesnt help unfortunately. He looks like a downhill thumper who probably shouldn't even be on the field in the nickel. He actually probably would have been better off getting drafted by a 3-4 that will keep him mostly in the box. Big downhill LB's who like to hit people are a dime a dozen in the nfl unless they can also cover.

How they justified choosing him over Carl Bradford, Telvin Smith, Kevin Pierre-Louis and Kharri Fort, I have no idea. Even one dimensional MLBers like Lamin Barrow, Yawin Smallwood and Andrew Jackson have more appeal.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
Sometimes I think they would prefer Jerry just go off of Mayock or Kiper's list.

I don't mean to defend the GM in this scenario, but he gets lambasted for doing his own thing, and on this one he did exactly that and will get lambasted. Ultimately he is responsible for the pick no matter what, but I think there is enough evidence over the past few years that he doesn't just do as he sees fit all the time, that there is true collaboration.

tm1119

Reaction score
How they justified choosing him over Carl Bradford, Telvin Smith, Kevin Pierre-Louis and Kharri Fort, I have no idea. Even one dimensional MLBers like Lamin Barrow, Yawin Smallwood and Andrew Jackson have more appeal.

Zumwalt, Tripp, Skov, Flowers.....

dboyz

Reaction score
Physically I can see what they like about him. He has natural power and moves pretty well. He looks to be fairly natural in dropping back into coverage. Had a nice pick in the Nebraska game. Overall, far from a finished product, but has some potential. I agree with others that were surprised to see him picked in the 4th round.

Star Guard_31

Reaction score
Thanks for the hard work. Wow, that LSU game is TERRIBLE. He gets blocked and eliminated from nearly every play. Can't shed a block to save his life.

The LSU blockers imposed their will on him. If not being able to disengage from blockers wasn't bad enough, he also looked really slow. Definitely doesn't seem like a sideline to sideline player.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
I'm thinking that I did disservice by putting the LSU game first. It is by far his worst performance.

SilverStarCowboy

The Actualist
Reaction score
My only problem is the time Dallas had to select a Player (24hours), it seems they are unprepared at the most inopportune times.

If lack of communication is the norm that it seems to be with Jerral Wayne, the hole will just keep getting deeper.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
The LSU blockers imposed their will on him. If not being able to disengage from blockers wasn't bad enough, he also looked really slow. Definitely doesn't seem like a sideline to sideline player.

It was hard to see his burst, because he peeks in the backfield a lot. Definitely didn't seem like a downhill type of player. Looks like a less athletic Bruce Carter to me.

tm1119

Reaction score

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

The one video at draftbreakdown they have for Hitchens is for the same game and highlights him specifically.

My only problem with saying that he looked bad against LSU is that they happen to be the closest thing to an nfl offense with nfl blockers he's gonna see. Maybe it was just a coincidence and he had a bad game, but that was a pretty big test to fail in my opinion.

It is also a pro style offense run by Cam Cameron. A lot of what he was exposed to in that game is what he will see every Sunday, but even faster.

Spectre

Reaction score
When JJ talked to him he said that the ST's coach "laid down on the train tracks" to get him-- which I guess is JJ language for, the ST's coach wanted him really badly and convinced the rest of the staff to draft him.

So, at best then, the front office is looking for a ST stud and back up LBer. We are all looking at drafting a potential starter in the 4th round, so the pick looks disappointing from that perspective.

At the end of the day-- we just have to come to grips with the fact that the Dallas front office was fine with using a 4th round pick on a guy they considered a ST ace. I think you draft for talent-- not role-- and there were a TON of more talented players in the 4th round than Hitchens-- so to me, this pick is a huge FAIL from a value standpoint.

That said-- if the STs coach wanted a guy that badly, I guess there has to be the opportunity in the war room to campaign and make sure you get him… But, man-- this front office has zero credibility with me. Remember the "STs draft in 2009"?!

End of mystery. No further debate (or expectation) required for this developmental role-player pick.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
At this point, I kind of feel bad for the dude. Hate to see a guy that plays football the way he does be the lightening rod for criticism. I hope when he gets on the field that he makes all of us naysayers eat some serious crow.

FuzzyLumpkins

The Boognish
Reaction score
End of mystery. No further debate (or expectation) required for this developmental role-player pick.
How he fits: The Cowboys' website showed the phone call the team made to Hitchens when he was drafted, including linebackers coach Matt Eberflus explaining to Hitchens his history with Iowa defensive coordinator Phil Parker. Eberflus played at Toledo from 1988 to 1991 and then began his coaching career there for nine years, while Parker served as Toledo's secondary coach from 1988 to 1998.

"My good buddy is Phil Parker," Eberflus told Hitchens. "We worked together for 10 years at the University of Toledo. So he stood on the table for you. I’m glad to have you because you like to run and you like to hit. We’re excited about getting you."

So the Cowboys have a very good idea of what they're getting. And Hitchens will have a start toward feeling at home. He's the first Iowa player drafted by the Cowboys since 1984.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2014/05/2014_nfl_draft_capsule_clearvi.html

Wood

Reaction score
this pick is my litmus test for McClay and his drafting ability. He was heralded before the draft for being new sheriff in town. The X factor for Dallas in closing the talent gap. The special teams coach played probably too important of a role in this selection also but the middle rounds (specifically for defense) is where McClay would have a leading opinion. I will hold judgement until training camp.