Z.Martin has quietly become one of the all time Cowboy greats

stiletto

Reaction score
LOL quietly.. He's the only dude people talk about on National Broadcasts other than Dak injuring his calf. Maybe it is everyone sucks other than "that guy...."

Motorola

Reaction score
Probably my favorite Cowboy for a couple of years now. Simply because he doesn't annoy us with this "bad m*****f****r* or "golden year" crap, but instead quietly playing at top notch level ever since he got into the league. Wish this whole team would take that as an example. Shut your piehole and work your *** off. Nothing else matters.
OLinemen - as individuals or a group - have pretty much followed that rule of thumb in football.
Even in this day and age, when they can garner attention and a "brand" as players at "higher profile" positions, they tend to do with a cause or charity (Travis Frederick comes to mind).

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Zack is a lock. Tyron is on the edge. Probably makes it, but might not.

Pro Football reference has a HOF Monitor where they've developed a regression model to predict who makes the HOF, and who doesn't. And it seems pretty predictive, in that the higher scores are the ones who got in.

By their metrics, Zack is significantly ahead of Tyron, and with fewer years in the league.

Tyron only has 2 years as 1st team all pro. Martin has 5. More than twice what Tyron has. With 3 fewer years in the league.

The only guards ahead of Zack are recent retires not yet eligible. A few players ahead of Tyron long retired.

If Tyron had stayed healthy, he would have been a lock long ago. But I'm sure that's true of a number of players who will never make it.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_G.htm

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/hof/hofm_T.htm

Smith has popularity on this side - he will remembered as being the protector of the blindside for the best o-line group of the 2010s. As I said, there aren't many all-decade players that don't make the HOF, he's getting in. Tackle is considered a far more premium position now in the passing league.

He'll get in before most of those guys who have been waiting, even if he's not as deserving. The all-decade pretty much locked him in.

Dak_Attack_09

Reaction score
I feel he has been the constant for almost a decade. He’s been dominant. I seriously hope he can get a ring one day because it would complete a hall of fame career imo

Win a SB then he is a HOF for sure.

nalam

The realist
Reaction score
Best in Cowboys history.

LT Tyron Smith
LG Larry Allen
C Travis Frederick
RG Zack Martin
RT Erik Williams

Interesting , Fred beard rated higher than all , even stepnowski , remember the groan when he was selected at the end of 1st round ? LOL , who would have thunk we miss him so much after he decided to hang it up.

Tussinman

Reaction score
I don't think it's that quite.

One of only 2 players from the 2010s all decade team that has a chance of making it again for the 2020s.

He also 100% matched recent HOF inductee guard Steve Hutchinsons career acccolades (all decade team, 7x pro bowl, 5x first team all-pro, 2x second team) but was able to do it in 5 less seasons which is insane (half a decade less time to get those exact accolades)

Tussinman

Reaction score
Zack is a lock. Tyron is on the edge. Probably makes it, but might not.
Tyron is a 100% lock.

I don't know why people keep saying he's a fringe/edge.

Dude is literally all decade team (voted as the #2 left tackle for the entire decade) has 8x pro bowl, 7x NFL top 100, and has 2x for both first and 2nd team all-pro

Yeah that's a 100% lock. You don't have those accolades at any of the 3 premier postions (DE, LT, QB) and not make it within 3 years of being elgible

Smith has popularity on this side - he will remembered as being the protector of the blindside for the best o-line group of the 2010s. As I said, there aren't many all-decade players that don't make the HOF, he's getting in. Tackle is considered a far more premium position now in the passing league.

He'll get in before most of those guys who have been waiting, even if he's not as deserving. The all-decade pretty much locked him in.
Agreed.

Fair or not the hall does NOT keep LT, DE, and QBs out of the hall that have all decade team and 8x pro bowl.

There's a handful of people on this site that keep referring to Tyron as fringe or on the bubble and I can't phantom how they came to that conclusion.

A "fringe" LT is someone like Joe Staley who got the last all-decade team spot and never made first team all-pro. Also only made the NFL top 100 3x where Tyron I believe has 7x

He and Smith are most likely already going to the HOF - there's not a ton of all-decade players that don't find themselves in the HOF eventually.
There both locks.

Like you said very few don't make it. The ones that don't make it are the guys on the back-end of the list like Joe Staley, Chris Harrir Jr, and Alex Mack.

Those are type that don't make it, not the 2nd best left tackle of the whole decade........ (lol)

Quenton Nelson is the gold standard....and it's not even close.
Wrong.

Quenton hasn't been gold standard since 2019. He's played injured in both 2020 and 2021 and his performance has decreased.

For example just in the last 2 years alone Martin and Quenton have played almost the same amount of snaps yet Martin has like 8 less penalities.......

Last edited:

mattjames2010

Reaction score
Tyron is a 100% lock.

I don't know why people keep saying he's a fringe/edge.

Dude is literally all decade team (voted as the #2 left tackle for the entire decade) has 8x pro bowl, 7x NFL top 100, and has 2x for both first and 2nd team all-pro

Yeah that's a 100% lock. You don't have those accolades at any of the 3 premier postions (DE, LT, QB) and not make it within 3 years of being elgible

Agreed.

Fair or not the hall does NOT keep LT, DE, and QBs out of the hall that have all decade team and 8x pro bowl.

There's a handful of people on this site that keep referring to Tyron as fringe or on the bubble and I can't phantom how they came to that conclusion.

A "fringe" LT is someone like Joe Staley who got the last all-decade team spot and never made first team all-pro. Also only made the NFL top 100 3x where Tyron I believe has 7x

There both locks.

Like you said very few don't make it. The ones that don't make it are the guys on the back-end of the list like Joe Staley, Chris Harrir Jr, and Alex Mack.

Those are type that don't make it, not the 2nd best left tackle of the whole decade........ (lol)

Wrong.

Quenton hasn't been gold standard since 2019. He's played injured in both 2020 and 2021 and his performance has decreased.

For example just in the last 2 years alone Martin and Quenton have played almost the same amount of snaps yet Martin has like 8 less penalities.......

The only tackle from the 2010s that is better than Smith was Joe Thomas, and he was basically the Tom Brady of tackles. Generational talent. No way the #2 tackle of the 2010s can be left out of the HOF, especially with how well-known the 2010s Cowboys O-Line was.

terra

Reaction score
What will keep Tyron from quick entry into the HOF (I believe he will get in) is his lack of ALL PRO recognition. He only has 2.

mattjames2010

Reaction score
What will keep Tyron from quick entry into the HOF (I believe he will get in) is his lack of ALL PRO recognition. He only has 2.

He has 4. Joe Thomas is the main reason he doesn't have more first team all-pros, but I certainly thought he was better than Whitworth in 2015 and should have gotten the nod.

Last edited:

Tussinman

Reaction score
At premier positions (especially if your in the top half of the all-decade team) it won't matter.

Jason Peters was only first team all-pro 2x and he will 100% get in within 3 years of being elgible. Orlando pace was only 3x (plus was 4th in voting out of the 4 tackles that made the all-decade team for the 2000s) and he still got in during his 2nd year.

He has 4. Joe Thomas is the main reason he doesn't have more first team all-pros, but I certainly thought he was better than Whitworth in 2015 and should have gotten the nod.
He was referring to first team. It's moot though because at those premier positions (DE, LT, QB) you'll still get in really quick so long as you have all-decade team and alot of pro bowls (Jason Peters is only 2x first team, Orland pace and Julius Peppers are all only 3x).

I mean heck even someone like Cam Jordan could get in really quick if he keeps playing at his current level and he technically only has 1x first team all-pro (if he's a 9 or 10x pro bowler, all decade team, and 130+ sacks then nobody will care about his first team-all pros, especially considering the position he plays)

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
Interesting , Fred beard rated higher than all , even stepnowski , remember the groan when he was selected at the end of 1st round ? LOL , who would have thunk we miss him so much after he decided to hang it up.

Another All Pro on the oline, and the leader while he was there. Fredbeard's illness was a huge blow to the franchise.

buybuydandavis

Reaction score

I'd like to see Pro Football Reference take 2nd Team All Pro into account in the HOF Monitor. Maybe it just fell out of their regression as not predictive of getting into the HOF, but I find it hard to believe it's not more predictive than a Pro Bowl appearance, especially since players started declining the invitation en masse and alternates began routinely making it.