RS12

Reaction score
131107.jpg

Zach Mettenberger | Quarterback
Team: LSU Tigers
Ht / Wt: 6'5' / 222

LATEST NEWS
RECENT NEWS

Draft insider Tony Pauline is reporting that the Vikings are "heavily leaning towards" taking LSU QB Zach Mettenberger in the second round because they want an LB such as Buffalo's Khalil Mack in the first.
The Vikes desperately need a franchise signal-caller, but they also have a huge need for an edge rusher capable of disrupting opposing passing games. Coach Mike Zimmer's nights are presumably interrupted with nightmares of being helplessly carved up by Aaron Rodgers and Matthew Stafford. Mack would afford the team a massive upgrade on the outside if Minnesota allots Mettenberger a grade not far below the top four QBs. Mettenberger could be a good fit in Norv Turner's vertical passing game, as Rotoworld's Josh Norris discussed in a recent "Draft Needs" video. Apr 1 - 7:57 PM
Source: Tony Pauline on Twitter

RS12

Reaction score
If this has any truth to it, a position player is off the board and a QB drops.

Gaede

Reaction score
I really don't expect Zimmer to go after one of the top QBs. Especially not Manziel. He's a no-nonsense guy and I bet the circus like atmosphere at JFB's pro day completely turned him off.

Fredd

Reaction score
I would think that the Vikings could potentially have a few guys from whom to choose in the 2nd round, but if Cleveland goes WR in round #1 (which they are leaning at the moment), then they take a QB early in the 2nd

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I would think that the Vikings could potentially have a few guys from whom to choose in the 2nd round, but if Cleveland goes WR in round #1 (which they are leaning at the moment), then they take a QB early in the 2nd

Cleveland can go WR and QB in the first round as they have two 1st round picks.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I really don't expect Zimmer to go after one of the top QBs. Especially not Manziel. He's a no-nonsense guy and I bet the circus like atmosphere at JFB's pro day completely turned him off.

Zimmer really needs to make the right pick at QB. A new Head Coach can do many great things, but if he doesn't get a decent QB, he's probably going to get fired in a short period of time.

Fredd

Reaction score
Cleveland can go WR and QB in the first round as they have two 1st round picks.

true, my bad...I think I already have cleveland trading their 2nd first rounder and their 2nd rounder to us for the #16 :D

DFWJC

Reaction score
From ESPN
Zimmer called it a sideshow and went to great detail about their visit with Manziel.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...texas-qb-johnny-manziel?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Also....
Consider what Zimmer told reporters last week at the NFL owners meetings when talking about picking a quarterback: "For me, it's the character of the guy. Will this guy lead our football team? I want to make sure that the guy we bring in has the athletic ability but I also want him to have my persona. Because him and I are going to be tied together, whoever we draft. I don't want him to be a completely different personality from me if I can help it. I want this guy to be a leader and a guy who wants to take a bunch a guys and make a great franchise. "

Some are saying this is smokescreen and doesn't rule out Manziel. But with Zimmer being pretty no-nonsense, I tend to agree with you.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think Mettenbeger has real upside.. Not kidding here (also not predicting it) but I've thought could be end up being one of, if not the, best in this class.
Big, tall, and a much stronger arm than any of the top three.

To me, the light came on for him before he got hurt this year. With a little NFL coaching, his upside is very real.

He's worth a 2nd or 3rd rounder for a QB needy team, imo.

Doc50

Original Fan
Reaction score
From ESPN
Zimmer called it a sideshow and went to great detail about their visit with Manziel.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft2014/st...texas-qb-johnny-manziel?ex_cid=espnapi_public

Also....
Consider what Zimmer told reporters last week at the NFL owners meetings when talking about picking a quarterback: "For me, it's the character of the guy. Will this guy lead our football team? I want to make sure that the guy we bring in has the athletic ability but I also want him to have my persona. Because him and I are going to be tied together, whoever we draft. I don't want him to be a completely different personality from me if I can help it. I want this guy to be a leader and a guy who wants to take a bunch a guys and make a great franchise. "

Some are saying this is smokescreen and doesn't rule out Manziel. But with Zimmer being pretty no-nonsense, I tend to agree with you.

Probably rules out Mettenberger as well.
For that and other reasons, he's ranked #135 on my board.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Probably rules out Mettenberger as well.
For that and other reasons, he's ranked #135 on my board.

Yeah, the 2nd round seems rich. He does have some warts.
I think for team that will have a vertical passing attack--like the Vikings most likely will--I can why there is interest.

Hardline

Reaction score
Yeah. The Vikings are making their draft strategy public.

KDM256

Reaction score
Mettenberger's potential >>>>>>> Aaron Murray's potential

If Vikings did grab him, they would be getting a helluva player and a upgrade to what they have now on the roster. I don't even like LSU but I know this kid was legit under Cam Cameron

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Mettenberger's potential >>>>>>> Aaron Murray's potential

If Vikings did grab him, they would be getting a helluva player and a upgrade to what they have now on the roster. I don't even like LSU but I know this kid was legit under Cam Cameron

No way man. Mettenberger is unlikely to hit, and if he does I see him capping out at about the Joe Flacco level. Murray will not be a disaster, worst case he's an elite back-up best case is Tony Romo level. Murray > Mettenberger on both fronts.

Cowboy Brian

@BrianLINY
Reaction score
Yeah. The Vikings are making their draft strategy public.

It's like running a post to the end-zone with a hot pass to Marty B. four times in a row and having an incomplete every time. It's so nuts no one would believe you'd actually do it, so maybe it's so mental that it is their actual strategy.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Murray's got a higher ceiling, and a higher floor.

I kind of like Murray too.

But have you ever looked at him compared to Colt McCoy?

Both were big winners in college, record-wise.

Stats:
McCoy
6'2", 217 lbs
70 % comp rate
155 Career QB rating
13253 yards passing
1571 yard rushing,
20 rushing TDs
112/45 TD/INT
45 team wins

Murray
6'1', 208 lbs