Twitter: Zack Martin has never had a holding call in pass protection

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
:star:First ballot Hall of famer:star:aside from that outstanding stat, the guy was all pro as a rookie. He's one hell of a ball player, this goes without saying, but I'll say it anyway, glad he's a Dallas Cowboy.

So why can't Smith start as a rookie, as some are fearing?

MarcusRock

Reaction score
And all of those holding calls were at best questionable.

Oh really? Post video and let's debate it.

"We wuz robbed!" Lol. And yet Martin is unscathed by the refs' plotting against the Cowboys. Hmmm.

terra

Reaction score
Oh really? Post video and let's debate it.

"We wuz robbed!" Lol. And yet Martin is unscathed by the refs' plotting against the Cowboys. Hmmm.
You post the video if you are so sure. But then I have noticed you just like stirring the pot.

terra

Reaction score
So why can't Smith start as a rookie, as some are fearing?
If you have to ask that question you will not understand the answer but I will try anyway.
Martin was incredibly polished by the time he left ND, Smith was NOT when he left Tulsa.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
The best player on the offense and it's not even close.

I agree. Using the opportunity to provoke a little debate.....................

We are talking about THE BEST guard in the league over the 8 years he's played but don't you wish we had the best player at a different position over the same 8 year timeframe. I don't mean redo the draft, I don't mean Martin isn't terrific, just asking "what if" we had the best edge rusher, best WR......that type of thing.

Thoughts?

MountaineerCowboy

Reaction score

We are talking about THE BEST guard in the league over the 8 years he's played but don't you wish we had the best player at a different position over the same 8 year timeframe. I don't mean redo the draft, I don't mean Martin isn't terrific, just asking "what if" we had the best edge rusher, best WR......that type of thing.

Thoughts?
Personally?

I don't believe your G being by far the best player on your offense is ideal.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
That is a crazy stat but part of that has to be respect from the refs and giving him the benefit of a doubt on close calls.

RS12

Reaction score

Thoughts?
Well Aaron Donald was picked 3 players in front of Zack, another lock first ballot HOFer but I cant imagine how mediocre to well below average the O Line play would have been without Zack. I consider O Line second in importance only to QB on any team.

Scottishcowboy

Reaction score
Well Aaron Donald was picked 3 players in front of Zack, another lock first ballot HOFer but I cant imagine how mediocre to well below average the O Line play would have been without Zack. I consider O Line second in importance only to QB on any team.

I'm with your logic, I am. I just don't see a world class guard impacting the W column as much as a dominant player in another position. You've used Donald as your example and I get that but would Dallas have had more success with Donald/ without Martin (especially in the prime Fredrick/ Smith days). What about a Megatron..........Luke Kuechly. I'm leaving QB out if I may.

Let me give you another example............Joe Thomas was a top, top tackle in his career but his impact on Cleveland's success amounted to pretty much nothing........which is sad in itself.

RS12

Reaction score
I'm with your logic, I am. I just don't see a world class guard impacting the W column as much as a dominant player in another position. You've used Donald as your example and I get that but would Dallas have had more success with Donald/ without Martin (especially in the prime Fredrick/ Smith days). What about a Megatron..........Luke Kuechly. I'm leaving QB out if I may.

Let me give you another example............Joe Thomas was a top, top tackle in his career but his impact on Cleveland's success amounted to pretty much nothing........which is sad in itself.
The problem is that with any sports draft (how the majority of players go to teams) you are projecting. You dont know who will become a HOFer and who will bust. The 2014 draft is a prime example. The Rams had two picks in the first round: Number 2 overall OT Greg Robinson and and number 13 Aaron Donald. Robinson never made it to a second contract. Donald is going to Canton. If that draft were held knowing what we know now things would be vastly different but you acquire talent as you acquire it. Now I will agree OG is not a premium position but still I dont think it makes a difference with this team. Ownership is the real issue.

Tussinman

Reaction score
What about a Megatron..........Luke Kuechly. I'm leaving QB out if I may

That's pretty much the case with any non-QB position when where talking about elite players going to so-so run teams (which is where alot of the elite talent ends up, so-so run teams).

Joe Thomas never played in a single playoff game in his entire career. If Megatron, Kuechly, or Donald get drafted to Cleveland instead of him guess what ? Neither of those 3 play in a single playoff game as well

It's also hard to say they'd have a bigger impact because although WR, Linebacker, and DT would improve you'd also not have Joe Thomas drafted (you'd loose a first team all-pro caliber player at arguably the 2nd most important position in the entire sport).

Agreed. Easy to say "ohhh donald would make DT elite so easily more impactful" but on the flip side your o-line now isn't nearly as good (you now have a connor williams/mcgovern level guard starting both sides of the offensive line for the last 8 years as a trade-off........).

Donald would win you some games but at the same time downgrading to an average guard who gives up 6 extra holding calls a year, 4 extra sacks, and 20 extra qb pressures would also lose you some games as well........

Last edited: