Zager Guitars: Have you played one?

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
So I picked up the guitar this past year and am slowly but surely learning some things. The guitar I have is a freebee Silvertone, my SNL gave me that her son stuck in the closet. It's probably a $50 or $100 acoustic (hey, it works).

I have been browsing around kinda shopping for my first guitar purchase and will eventually spend about 250 to 500 on it.

I ran across the Zager ads on the web and was curious about them.

Anyone here own a Zager and/or played one and do they live up the hype of improved playability?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
http://www.harmonycentral.com/reviews/search/zager

Great reviews. I have an Alvarez acoustical electric I'm wanting to sell. It's a bit of a step down from the Zager but not a huge amount. I also have a Tradition gold Les Paul clone (Korea I believe) and an original Waterbury in the original case. It's hard to beat a Martin for value and ease of play and sound although there are good guitars out there for less. The older Martins are collectible and old wood plays well. You just have to be very careful with them. I'd get a Luthier to recommend an acoustic or acoustic-electric and have them tune it for your hands, abilities, types of music and style. Gibson makes a good acoustic but I don't like the broad neck. I sold a Lucille not too long ago and it was sweet with a great low action and sound. Not quite acoustic though.

Signals

Suspicious looking stranger
Reaction score
Another question I have is about the tuning keys. Obviously guitars are made where the tuning keys extend from the top and bottom as well as from the rear of the head stock. Which do you prefer and, is one easier to use/tune with than the other.

The tuning keys extending from the rear seam to be easier than the top and bottom, but these appear to be more rare on guitars. My Silvertone are top/bottom keys and they are a little crowded and harder to work without bumping the others while tuning.

On a different note, shopping for a new guitar is a bit of a challenge for me because I play left handed and lefties are harder to find in stock at your typical music store so I don't have the option of trying out tons of models.

I wish I could spend a day at: http://southpawguitars.com/ in Houston.

Thanks for the feedback Jobberone.

Bill Wooten

Reaction score
This is a thread I need. I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Grew up with not enough money to pursue it. I'm hitting middle age and empty nesting it right now. I've always been a fan of the Les Paul guitars. I've read about the Epiphone Les Pauls and they sound like cheaper versions than the Gibsons, but still good enough quality for beginners.

Would love to hear some recommendations for some gear for someone wanting to get into playing. I have money to spend on it, but don't want to be ridiculous.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Another question I have is about the tuning keys. Obviously guitars are made where the tuning keys extend from the top and bottom as well as from the rear of the head stock. Which do you prefer and, is one easier to use/tune with than the other.

The tuning keys extending from the rear seam to be easier than the top and bottom, but these appear to be more rare on guitars. My Silvertone are top/bottom keys and they are a little crowded and harder to work without bumping the others while tuning.

On a different note, shopping for a new guitar is a bit of a challenge for me because I play left handed and lefties are harder to find in stock at your typical music store so I don't have the option of trying out tons of models.

I wish I could spend a day at: http://southpawguitars.com/ in Houston.

Thanks for the feedback Jobberone.

I'm no longer a player and never was any good but you can still appreciate good guitars. There are a number of sites/forums that can help you much better. For me it's not just the sound but the way it plays for you. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a guitar until you can start playing reasonably well then you will know more about what works for you. Best.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I'm just a newb (I'm learning some stuff from Rocksmith/2014 PS3, Marty Schwartz videos on the net) , but be sure and use the locking technique when stringing the guitar. It will help keep it in tune.

5Stars

Here comes the Sun...
Reaction score
I'm no longer a player and never was any good but you can still appreciate good guitars. There are a number of sites/forums that can help you much better. For me it's not just the sound but the way it plays for you. I wouldn't spend a lot of money on a guitar until you can start playing reasonably well then you will know more about what works for you. Best.

Just shut up....! You can do anything you set your mind to....hater!

Wheeltax

Reaction score
This is a thread I need. I've always wanted to learn to play the guitar. Grew up with not enough money to pursue it. I'm hitting middle age and empty nesting it right now. I've always been a fan of the Les Paul guitars. I've read about the Epiphone Les Pauls and they sound like cheaper versions than the Gibsons, but still good enough quality for beginners.

Would love to hear some recommendations for some gear for someone wanting to get into playing. I have money to spend on it, but don't want to be ridiculous.

I'm a Gibson guy and will tell you all day long that there is absolutely nothing wrong with one of the mid- to upper-range Epiphones. They get a bad rap because people who don't know any better think that reasonably priced means it must be bad. If you can pick up an Epi Les Paul Custom for around $400-500 it's more guitar than you'll probably ever need. If you feel like the tone isn't quite where you want it, swap those pickups. Actually just a few weeks ago I sold a mint alpine white/gold hardware Epi LP Custom with Seymour Duncans (Alnico II Pro neck, Pearly Gates bridge) on ebay for like $330. Not what I wanted to get but I didn't play it anymore because I've found that I prefer slimmer 60s style necks and I have a Gibson SG that I adore, so I had to get it out of the way. Shame, because it sounded incredible.

You also can't go wrong with the Mexican Fender Strats for around $499 new. Those are really probably the best bang-for-buck in that range.

I would avoid the lower-end Epiphones and pretty much anything under $300. IMO it'll set you back on learning, I know it did for me. When I started I spent so much time fighting way-too-high action and constant tuning issues that I ended up putting down the instrument altogether for a few years before trying again with something higher quality.

I have a Gibson SG, Gibson Flying V (government series!), vintage Japanese Fender Strat, and still have an Epiphone Explorer that I can't bear to part with.