Zaven Collins rated higher in the NFL Circles

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Caught this off the Athletic:

Asked which players go higher than most public boards project, one personnel executive said Collins, the Tulsa linebacker. The winner of the Bronko Nagurski and Chuck Bednarik awards, Collins is in play for the Cardinals at No. 16 and Titans at No. 22, another person said. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder, who has sub-4.7 speed, is another prospect receiving the “unicorn” label for his unique athletic traits for his position.

This sounds exactly how media scouts viewed Lve, when the actual scouts liked him much more. Funny thing is, some believe Collins comp is Lve without the injuries.

If we see the Cowboys trade back in the top 15, Collins certainly will be a prime target.

JBS

Reaction score
We are basically guaranteed to go cb in round 2 if we don't go cb in round 1. The only issue I have is, I want Moehrig w our second pick in a trade up. That won't happen if we don't go cb in round 1...still may not happen if we go cb round 1 but at least there is a chance

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
We are basically guaranteed to go cb in round 2 if we don't go cb in round 1. The only issue I have is, I want Moehrig w our second pick in a trade up. That won't happen if we don't go cb in round 1...still may not happen if we go cb round 1 but at least there is a chance
Moehrig could be in play as a 1st round trade down target as well. Especially if we deal with Chicago for 20. If we do that, and Collins goes to Arizona, I could see Moehrig being the pick at 20

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Asked which players go higher than most public boards project, one personnel executive said Collins, the Tulsa linebacker. The winner of the Bronko Nagurski and Chuck Bednarik awards, Collins is in play for the Cardinals at No. 16 and Titans at No. 22, another person said. The 6-foot-5, 260-pounder, who has sub-4.7 speed, is another prospect receiving the “unicorn” label for his unique athletic traits for his position.

This sounds exactly how media scouts viewed Lve, when the actual scouts liked him much more. Funny thing is, some believe Collins comp is Lve without the injuries.

If we see the Cowboys trade back in the top 15, Collins certainly will be a prime target.
To me the two most likely trade scenarios is the Bears moving up for a QB, and teams jumping NY and Philadelphia to ensure they get the WR they want.

JBS

Reaction score
Moehrig could be in play as a 1st round trade down target as well. Especially if we deal with Chicago for 20. If we do that, and Collins goes to Arizona, I could see Moehrig being the pick at 20

Yeah that could work. Especially if they snagged Farley w a move up from 44

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Is Moehrig that much better then Grant or Holland? I mean Jeff Cavanaugh thinks is his 5’8 170lb teammate is the better safety. I would be happy with an athletic ballhawk like Holland or Johnson, Indiana safety in the third. I hear that Moehrig was not a single high safety in college.

I believe that Collins will be a top 20 pick.

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Yeah that could work. Especially if they snagged Farley w a move up from 44
I’m confident there will be a quality corner at 44, but it’s possible to be wipeout at safety. Hoping the big 3, are still there when day 2 starts

Cowboyny

Reaction score
Is Moehrig that much better then Grant or Holland? I mean Jeff Cavanaugh thinks is his 5’8 170lb teammate is the better safety. I would be happy with an athletic ballhawk like Holland or Johnson, Indiana safety in the third. I hear that Moehrig was not a single high safety in college.

I believe that Collins will be a top 20 pick.
Grant is the best fit as single high, Moehrig played split safeties, where Holland has played both slot and free safety. Stay away from Johnson, terrible tackler.

RS12

Reaction score

I agree. Collins or Darisaw at 15 prime targets.

baltcowboy

Reaction score
Grant is the best fit as single high, Moehrig played split safeties, where Holland has played both slot and free safety. Stay away from Johnson, terrible tackler.
Tackling?? That is what Neal and Wilson are here for.:)o_O

DanA

Reaction score
I’m still of the opinion that you use the 1st round to fix the trenches or grab a QB, it really should require something special to move away from that.

Sewell, Slater, Darrisaw, Ojulari, and Barmore would be my 1st round targets. I like Joseph, Stokes, Grant, Holland in the second.

I think RB, LB, WR and safety should be out of consideration in the top 15, and only considered in the first round if they are sliders (Lamb style) and offer significant pass rush, exceptional coverage, or RedZone threat.

JBS

Reaction score
I’m confident there will be a quality corner at 44, but it’s possible to be wipeout at safety. Hoping the big 3, are still there when day 2 starts

Yeah cb depth is good for sure. You have Holland as #3? I don't really want any of those safeties other than Moehrig

visionary

Reaction score
I think best option is to trade down and take Barmore at 17-20, then take Grant and Bolton in rd 2

McNeil and CB in rd 3 and Browning in rd 4 and suddenly you have a chance at a real defense

Last edited:

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score

And I hope someone values him more than us, because I don't want us to take an early-round linebacker.

gimmesix

Reaction score
I think best option is to trade down and take Barmore at 17-20, then take Grant and Bolton in rd 2

I'd rather go corner in the second at least with one of the picks. If we'd go Barmore, Grant and Melinfonwu, I could dig it ... especially if we were able to grab a run-stopping DT like McNeill or Shelvin in the third.

I wouldn't take a linebacker until the third round because I believe we've got our starters for this year in Neal, Smith and LVE. If they don't work out, then hopefully third/fourth-rounders will be able to step up into the roles. I don't see the need to replace someone before we absolutely know we need to replace them.

visionary

Reaction score
I'd rather go corner in the second at least with one of the picks. If we'd go Barmore, Grant and Melinfonwu, I could dig it ... especially if we were able to grab a run-stopping DT like McNeill or Shelvin in the third.

I wouldn't take a linebacker until the third round because I believe we've got our starters for this year in Neal, Smith and LVE. If they don't work out, then hopefully third/fourth-rounders will be able to step up into the roles. I don't see the need to replace someone before we absolutely know we need to replace them.

Agree but we already know that they won’t work. We have to be rid of Jaylon and LVE next year so we need at least 2 LB this year

I’m taking Bolton in 2 and Browning in rd 3

gimmesix

Reaction score

Let me change that to somebody who has played well. Smith, LVE and Neal have all played at a Pro Bowl level. We don't know if scheme, injuries, etc., have made it to where they will never get back to that level, but I'd rather take a chance on that than count on players who haven't shown an inkling of being able to do the same, which is what we have at other defensive positions.

gimmesix

Reaction score
Agree but we already know that they won’t work. We have to be rid of Jaylon and LVE next year so we need at least 2 LB this year

I’m taking Bolton in 2 and Browning in rd 3

I'd rather push it for a year and address those greater positions of need first (depending on how the draft falls). I would not have a problem spending a third on the position, especially if we trade down in the first and pick up an extra second, but I really want to go after those greater areas of need this year so that we have a chance to compete. Give this defense a solid starting corner and two slobber-knockers inside and I think we've got a chance. Add a free safety who can step in if Kazee isn't fully recovered and we're in pretty good shape to challenge IMO. Those are my priorities.

Grooming linebackers to be replacements and a left tackle to replace Smith are further down my list.