Twitter: Zeke, Cooper, Gregory, Martin given vet day today, Tyron making progress

glimmerman

Reaction score
These guys are likely dinged up and need it. Although I was wondering the approach MM would take. Go easy on them or make them practice harder. Maybe the staff wasn’t preparing them. They didn’t look prepared or enthused about playing. Elliot was dinged up but still went out there.

phildadon86

Reaction score
When did "vet days off" become a thing?

Because I don't want to call it loser mentality if there's proof that teams actually do better this way.
The first time I remember it was in 2014. Romo and Tyron would get Wednesdays off. I may be wrong though.

Ranching

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
When did "vet days off" become a thing?

Because I don't want to call it loser mentality if there's proof that teams actually do better this way.
Many times these days are used to give back ups reps with the first group....that and resting players with nagging injuries...pretty common on all teams. Madden players don't get vet days! Lol

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The first time I remember it was in 2014. Romo and Tyron would get Wednesdays off. I may be wrong though.
They have been doing this longer than that, just not making it a public thing.

If a vet player, that has proven himself and his knowledge of the system and the coaches think he can benefit better from some time off, they will let him stay out of contact.

Landry did this as far back as when he found out Lilly would take a shot before practice.

Football coaches define hurt and injured and treat them differently and they keep track of the reps and workload on a player. They know they need optimum performance on gamedays.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
they should have had a vet day for most of the 2nd half on Sunday. when the game is over you should get your most valuable assets off the field as much as possible.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Did Aikman, Smith, Larry Allen, Irvin, Staubach and winners like that have "vet days off"?
We are dealing with a different era of players entirely. Not to get to deep into it but you do realize the world we live in right now right? LOL. I am not saying I agree for the record. Just pointing it out. If you want to watch football and keep comparing players now to players then its going to be a losing battle. Those guys dont exist. I am italian. Finding a woman who can cook is hard enough nowadays haha.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
FRISCO, Texas – The Cowboys have been steadfast in their claim that Tyron Smith's bone spur issue in his ankle is not something they are concerned about as a long-term problem, but the All-Pro left tackle's timetable for return is still up in the air.

Head coach Mike McCarthy said Wednesday morning ahead of the day's practice that Smith would be in the rehab group, meaning he will not practice with the team. McCarthy then made a point to say that Smith had "made progress" with injury.

Regardless of Smith's availability, the Cowboys will need their veteran stars to play at a high level against Atlanta in order to bounce back from Sunday's disappointing loss to the Broncos. But according to McCarthy, some of those veterans also need their body to rest in order to achieve that level for the rest of the season.

Tyron’s Status; ‘Selected Reps’ For Zeke, Vets (dallascowboys.com)

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LOL whatever. Gregory has played in 45 games in 6 years. He gets plenty of time off.
He has seen a very significant amount of snaps this year. Far more than ever. He might be in football shape but football is a brutal sport and when you go from rarely playing to getting the kind of playing time he's had this year, his body could probably use a day off. He has definitely earned it.

MyFairLady

Reaction score
They took a whole freaking game off. They should be good to go if not sit on the side lines and watch a younger stronger player take the snaps for you. Vet days off should be for QBs and players that have actually played in a conference championship game.

Big_D

Reaction score
Lawrence, Gallimore and Hill??? They’ll be back just in time for the Super Bowl I hope!