Zeke could absolutely play against the Giants if he wants to

erod

Reaction score

Mike Florio is an attorney. Legal explanations are the only thing I trust him on regarding sports.

According to Florio, what is probably going to happen is Zeke is going to first appeal, then he'll get reduced to fewer games. If he still isn't happy, he can take the case to an arbitration hearing, which will result in a delay much like Brady's case (even though the NFL called for that hearing).

This could effectively go on for months, meaning Zeke could play the first several games of the season while it's being heard.

The negative, of course, is that this will be hanging over the team and season all year.

(Will Jerry foot the bill for this? Betcha he does.)

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score
The problem with this would be, what if the arbitration finishes at the end of the year, Zeke gets suspended, then has to sit out playoff games?

ajk23az

Through Pain Comes Clarity
Reaction score

Mike Florio is an attorney. Legal explanations are the only thing I trust him on regarding sports.

According to Florio, what is probably going to happen is Zeke is going to first appeal, then he'll get reduced to fewer games. If he still isn't happy, he can take the case to an arbitration hearing, which will result in a delay much like Brady's case (even though the NFL called for that hearing).

This could effectively go on for months, meaning Zeke could play the first several games of the season while it's being heard.

The negative, of course, is that this will be hanging over the team and season all year.

I also have to add that Brady winning that injunction was actually very surprising (according to a Forbes article I read earlier today). It said that it was highly unlikely he would win, yet alone win it in a NY court room. The first file basis that federal court runs on favors the NFL because they can have that lawsuit in hand as soon as the appeal is finished and hand it to the court, not allowing Elliott any time to file in a more favorable court, say in MN (Judge Doty) or TX.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
Can't be suspended for playoffs but some of those final games will be extremely important and rely heavily on our running game.

GORICO

Reaction score

erod--- wow did not think of that...yeah i think the strategy will be hope appeal reduces suspension and weather through it?

GORICO

Reaction score
Can't be suspended for playoffs but some of those final games will be extremely important and rely heavily on our running game.
the ranch--- yeah seems the strategy will be to hope appeal reduces suspension and weather through it

Zordon

Reaction score
I think these suspensions only apply to regular season games unless they are specifically "season" suspensions.
Like I said in the previous thread, if this carries over into next year look for a front-loaded NFCE schedule next year. I wouldn't be surprised if we have 2-3 NFCE games in the first month of the season as payback. We are dealing with a hostile NYC-based NFL headquarters. They are sick of "The America's Team" nickname, they are sick of Jerry Jones, and there is probably a political element we have to factor into all of this.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
At this juncture, I think it's safe to say we haven't hit the tip of the iceberg with this and that EE is more likely to play than not play at this point.

If EE is unwavering in appealing this then he either didn't do it or knows for sure that there's no real proof of him doing it. Because if you protest too much and it backfires, then you're committing career suicide.

While it sounds crazy, the NFL may be looking at it like they gave a suspension a shot and hopes that it stuck. This way if EE wins on appeal and even if he ends up not serving any suspension, the league can say 'well, we tried to suspend him for 6 games and that was overturned by the court.' Furthermore, they could be protecting themselves just in case something new comes out that paints EE in a negative light.

The worse that would happen is that they could get be portrayed badly by a subsection of fans. Even if EE produces concrete evidence, there will be enough people that will still claim that EE abused her and enough fans of the other 31 teams in the league (and some Cowboys fans) that won't care and think the same thing.

Again, it sounds a bit crazy. But, we are talking about Goodell and many of the owners here who don't have a moral bone in their body.

YR

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
hopefully he appeals, cut from 6 to 4 games, call it a day, put it behind you and move on...it's not like we have some unknowns as backups, McFadden and Morris can handle things for 4 games

Reactions: CWR

erod

Reaction score
hopefully he appeals, cut from 6 to 4 games, call it a day, put it behind you and move on...it's not like we have some unknowns as backups, McFadden and Morris can handle things for 4 games
Because of the language in his contract, any suspension UN-GUARANTEES his contract, which is $8 million. He is going to fight this to the end.

That means if he got seriously hurt or got another suspension, the Cowboys could walk away from his contract the following year with no penalty.

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Because of the language in his contract, that would cost him the entirety of his guaranteed money, which I think is $8 million. He is going to fight this to the end.

Based on the Brady Federal court of appeals ruling last year that Goodell had the authority under the collective bargaining agreement to suspend players under the code of conduct policy, I just think it's a futile effort on his part, if his appeal is reduced from 6 to 4 games, that's just four game checks.... just accept it and move on. The league hasn't even looked into the night club incident yet, pouring gas on the fire isn't always a smart thing to do...

Gaede

Reaction score
At this juncture, I think it's safe to say we haven't hit the tip of the iceberg with this and that EE is more likely to play than not play at this point.

If EE is unwavering in appealing this then he either didn't do it or knows for sure that there's no real proof of him doing it. Because if you protest too much and it backfires, then you're committing career suicide.

While it sounds crazy, the NFL may be looking at it like they gave a suspension a shot and hopes that it stuck. This way if EE wins on appeal and even if he ends up not serving any suspension, the league can say 'well, we tried to suspend him for 6 games and that was overturned by the court.' Furthermore, they could be protecting themselves just in case something new comes out that paints EE in a negative light.

The worse that would happen is that they could get be portrayed badly by a subsection of fans. Even if EE produces concrete evidence, there will be enough people that will still claim that EE abused her and enough fans of the other 31 teams in the league (and some Cowboys fans) that won't care and think the same thing.

Again, it sounds a bit crazy. But, we are talking about Goodell and many of the owners here who don't have a moral bone in their body.

YR
I think you hit the nail on the head here YR

erod

Reaction score
Based on the Brady Federal court of appeals ruling last year that Goodell had the authority under the collective bargaining agreement to suspend players under the code of conduct policy, I just think it's a futile effort on his part if his appeal is reduced from 6 to 4 games, that's just four game checks.... just accept it and move on. The league hasn't even looked into the night club incident yet, pouring gas on the fire isn't always a smart thing to do...

But he has a ton of financial considerations at stake. He'll sue, and hope to win public opinion first and foremost.

Right now, he loses $240K in signing bonus, plus $93K per game. Plus, his contract is no longer guaranteed, so that's potentially $8 million if he blew his knee out tomorrow.

Elliott has millions of reasons to pursue this to the Nth degree, and I wouldn't be surprised if Jerry doesn't foot the legal bill.

DCBoysfan

Hardwork and Dedication
Reaction score
As mad as Jerry is,, he is an owner he,can't pay for a players defense. That is what the NFLPA is for.

ConstantReboot

Reaction score
As mad as Jerry is,, he is an owner he,can't pay for a players defense. That is what the NFLPA is for.

Why can't he? Is that some sort of obscure rule that the NFL has in place? I do think that the NFLPA will ultimately take this all the way to the higher courts and fight it and they will foot the entire bill.