Zeke Elliott expendable?

basel90

Reaction score
i really like the way Stephen and JJ are running the salary cap these days . I think they finally realize the importance of a stout defense to win championships, and avoiding monster contracts on one or two super stars. The Patriots blue print basically .
Zeke is a top tier RB , but Stephen is not going to spend silly , Gurley like money, on a RB. It is well documented that the RB position is the easiest to replace and rookie RBs can contribute immediately . Look at the cowboys after Demarco Murray departed.

If i were Stephen i would go after a quality RB in round 3 or 4 . Rodney Anderson from Oklahoma will probably be available. That guy is a beast and would be a steal . Brice Love /Stanford is another .

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
i really like the way Stephen and JJ are running the salary cap these days . I think they finally realize the importance of a stout defense to win championships, and avoiding monster contracts on one or two super stars. The Patriots blue print basically .
Zeke is a top tier RB , but Stephen is not going to spend silly , Gurley like money, on a RB. It is well documented that the RB position is the easiest to replace and rookie RBs can contribute immediately . Look at the cowboys after Demarco Murray departed.

If i were Stephen i would go after a quality RB in round 3 or 4 . Rodney Anderson from Oklahoma will probably be available. That guy is a beast and would be a steal . Brice Love /Stanford is another .

Stephen recently said that they were going to spend silly on the Zeke contract.

Typhus

Captain Catfish
Reaction score

Everything in the NFL is Silly bro... take the Seahawks for instance... they spend a 1st on Rashad Penny last year, but they start a 7th rounder instead in Chris Carson.

ghst187

Reaction score

Zeke is expendable = false and certainly for this team and how it’s built

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Zeke's real value IMO is his consistency. When you look at the macro picture, Zeke is just murderously consistent. Dude has been available for 42 of 48 career games. In '16 he had 1,994 scrimmage yards, in '18 he had 2,003 scrimmage yards, and in '17 he was on pace for 2,001. He's had elite OLs, average OLs, good QB play, bad QB play, consistently bad playcalling for three years, and none of it's really mattered. He still eats.

Anderson is the opposite of that. He had three season-ending injuries in three years, to three different of his body. He has only ever been healthy for about one half-season stretch. He has an upright running style that ensures he will continue to take hits, and the shots he takes are only going to become more violent. In addition, during that one time he produced at Oklahoma, he was in an absolutely ideal scenario for an RB. There is no history of him producing in spite of a bad offense or really creating on his own.

But the main deal breaker is the injuries. If you gave Zeke's workload to Anderson, I'll bet you that he would be on IR by Halloween.

Love, same deal. He struggled to create this year after an ACL injury and a decline by his offensive line. I have little faith that he could take 250+ carries, stay healthy, and turn that load into a ~4.5 YPC output.

Last edited:

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
He explicitly said it’d start with Gurley money and they’d go from there.

I agree with you that it’s not worth it though.
You nailed it, starting with the Gurley money, if that is not "silly" money I do not know what is...

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Imagine Aikman without Emmitt. Zeke will get a 2nd contract. And well draft someone who hopefully is better than Rod Smith.
No doubt I expect them to either draft a RB (my preference) or as Stephen indicated if a RB does not work out for them via the draft, they will possibly look to free agency as some RB's will get cut after the draft.

basel90

Reaction score
Wow! What kind of drunken binge were you on during the six games Zeke missed? Every part of the offense focuses on and goes through Zeke but yeah he's expendable!

Many RBs could fill in nicely . Don't forget the depth at RB for the cowboys was not good , plus the most important aspect , coaching !! if you are dependent on one player to win , then you will not sniff the super bowl with good coaches like belicheck . just ask the rams !!

Hawkeye19

Reaction score
Zeke's real value IMO is his consistency. When you look at the macro picture, Zeke is just murderously consistent. Dude has been available for 42 of 48 career games. In '16 he had 1,994 scrimmage yards, in '18 he had 2,003 scrimmage yards, and in '17 he was on pace for 2,001. He's had elite OLs, average OLs, good QB play, bad QB play, consistently bad playcalling for three years, and none of it's really mattered. He still eats.

Anderson is the opposite of that. He had three season-ending injuries in three years, to three different of his body. He has only ever been healthy for about one half-season stretch. He has an upright running style that ensures he will continue to take hits, and the shots he takes are only going to become more violent. In addition, during that one time he produced at Oklahoma, he was in an absolutely ideal scenario for an RB. There is no history of him producing in spite of a bad offense or really creating on his own.

But the main deal breaker is the injuries. If you gave Zeke's workload to Anderson, I'll bet you that he would be on IR by Halloween.

Love, same deal. He struggled to create this year after an ACL injury and a decline by his offensive line. I have little faith that he could take 250+ carries, stay healthy, and turn that load into a ~4.5 YPC output.

Not only is he elite and consistent... he is young. He will be turning 24 in July. Keeping him on the roster for the next 4-5 years is a no-brainer IMO.

Yes, you can find solid RBs to produce for you. BUT, when you find a generational talent, you build your offense around him.

Zeke is a generational talent at RB. If Stephen lets him walk and he plays out his prime years somewhere else— it will be the biggest mistake SJ has made in his career

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Belichick ability to continue churning the roster especially on offense without forking over big contracts has predicated mainly around possibly the GOAT at QB who elevates lesser talent around him while signing contracts which are team friendly.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Not only is he elite and consistent... he is young. He will be turning 24 in July. Keeping him on the roster for the next 4-5 years is a no-brainer IMO.

Yes, you can find solid RBs to produce for you. BUT, when you find a generational talent, you build your offense around him.

Zeke is a generational talent at RB. If Stephen lets him walk and he plays out his prime years somewhere else— it will be the biggest mistake SJ has made in his career
Yep

If we had a generational talent at QB then Elliott might be more dispensable. But Elliott’s talent level opens it up for Dak. And even with the league leading rusher our passing offense still struggles at times. We’ve already seen what our QB and offense is reduced to without a threat like Elliott.

superonyx

Reaction score
What an embarrassing fail this thread is.

It sounds like the OP spend a little too much time on youtube watching Rodney Anderson and Brice Love hype videos.

I've read some stinkers and this one doesn't disappoint. When an OP keeps coming back to a failed thread in a feeble effort to legitimize it then it just crawls into the sad category.