Zeke-Issue Post-Training Camp Press Conference Question

jday

Reaction score
It’s funny. Back when Elliott was caught at a dispensary in the hours leading up to the preseason game against the Seattle Seahawks, I thought to myself, “That’s a good thing. It is good that Zeke got an early taste of what it is to be a Cowboy on and off the field; nothing came of it and he now knows that eyes are watching him everywhere he goes. In the long run, this dose of reality should serve him well.”

Flash forward to today and I really hate to take that thought back, but I have to…he has clearly learned nothing. Not from the abuse allegations, not from the dispensary incident and not from the Slipping-off-the-woman’s-top situation. Zeke has learned nothing.

Based on that, you might come to the conclusion that Zeke is hard-headed…a bit slow, you might even say. But I do seriously wonder if watching this year’s Opening Press Conference for Training Camp might finally get the message across. Ordinarily there is much fanfare and excitement surrounding the event. Heck, the opening training camp press conference in previous installations came across like a party or an event. This was perhaps the most underwhelming opening training camp press conference I have seen in years!

And then, to top it all off, the Cowboys top brass spent about 30 minutes of the 45 minute affair fielding questions about Zeke’s off-the-field persona. That’s right, the event that was scheduled to field football-related question for the first time in 7 months since football ended, and our front office and head coach got bombarded by questions fueled by Zeke’s off-the-field antics.

To be honest, I’m a little perturbed (not surprised, mind you) by the media themselves. Their job is to report news pertaining to the opening of training camp and here they are keeping the spot light steadily trained on topics that truly have nothing to do with football. That in itself was ridiculously disappointing…but, to be fair, I can’t really blame them, all things considered. Drama, after and above all, sales.

But back to Zeke, where the focus of this belongs…

Do you think he even took time out of his day to watch that press conference? Because I feel like if he did he might finally understand the scope of his actions; how they negatively impact the team, as a whole. Not just his teammates, but everyone that has anything to do with the franchise is impacted by his choices. Does he finally get it?

Thoughts?

Philmonroe

Reaction score
I don't care. It just seems like July non sense to me. If he did something he should be punished but at this point most of this talk is just grandstanding to me.

jday

Reaction score
I don't care. It just seems like July non sense to me. If he did something he should be punished but at this point most of this talk is just grandstanding to me.
Honestly, I'm sick of the conversation, as well. And would have left it alone had it not completely ruined by opening training camp press conference watching experience. I was really honestly looking forward to football related discussion and it turned out to be anything but that.

Philmonroe

Reaction score
Honestly, I'm sick of the conversation, as well. And would have left it alone had it not completely ruined by opening training camp press conference watching experience. I was really honestly looking forward to football related discussion and it turned out to be anything but that.
Once them questions come up I just turn the channel or radio. Online where we can interact I'm more likely to engage to see if we can find common ground but places like tv/mr audio where a person is just saying their say and I can't react to it I turn the channel. If you think about also on mainstream stuff are we even going to get someone to say something that isn't the usual esp nowadays? Whats the point of listening in that case unless you just like hearing people agree with you.

jday

Reaction score
Once them questions come up I just turn the channel or radio. Online where we can interact I'm more likely to engage to see if we can find common ground but places like tv/mr audio where a person is just saying their say and I can't react to it I turn the channel. If you think about also on mainstream stuff are we even going to get someone to say something that isn't the usual esp nowadays? Whats the point of listening in that case unless you just like hearing people agree with you.
I prolly stuck around longer because I kept thinking eventually Garrett was going to shut the off-the-field questions down, but he never did...and the media just kept on asking questions about discipline and accountability as if that's what football fans (real football fans anyway) are really super concerned about. Don't get me wrong....a few questions would have been understandable, but for it to go from being about the opening of training camp to almost exclusively being about Zeke was just ridiculous for me.

jday

Reaction score
We're going to find out---it looks like this season---whether or not Zeke is going to get it. I hate that it's in issue, honestly.
He was my pet cat from a year ago so you can imagine how upset this whole situation has got me. For the most part, I've stayed away from the drama, but this situation ruining what is usually an entertaining event every year, was the straw that broke the camels back.

CowboyGil

Reaction score
Who knows at this point what would get him to take all this seriously. If he winds up being able to play the first game because his suspension is being appealed, I would hand down a team punishment for making everyone in the organization have to field non football related questions about him. It's just tiring to use the million dollar talent and 5 cent head analogy. AGAIN.

aria

Reaction score
No, he doesn't and won't get it anytime soon. Eventually, as he grows older, he may finally get it but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next 3-4 years that nothing major happens. Dude is dumb as a box of rocks off the football field as well as immature and arrogant.

It may not be 2-3 months from now or even until after this season but he will do something else incredibly dumb, mark it.

jday

Reaction score
No, he doesn't and won't get it anytime soon. Eventually, as he grows older, he may finally get it but I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for the next 3-4 years that nothing major happens. Dude is dumb as a box of rocks off the football field as well as immature and arrogant.

It may not be 2-3 months from now or even until after this season but he will do something else incredibly dumb, mark it.
And the crazy thing is, he just very well may be the one holding his hand over the winning-the-championship button. If he makes a mistake that leads to a suspension, that could very easily end the Cowboys chances for the entire season. Whereas, if he just keeps focused and can stay out of trouble for the next 5 months, the Cowboys have a realistic shot at contending. Surely he understands by now what is at stake...

PA Cowboy Fan

Reaction score
I prolly stuck around longer because I kept thinking eventually Garrett was going to shut the off-the-field questions down, but he never did...and the media just kept on asking questions about discipline and accountability as if that's what football fans (real football fans anyway) are really super concerned about. Don't get me wrong....a few questions would have been understandable, but for it to go from being about the opening of training camp to almost exclusively being about Zeke was just ridiculous for me.
The media has turned into tabloid journalism anymore.

aria

Reaction score
And the crazy thing is, he just very well may be the one holding his hand over the winning-the-championship button. If he makes a mistake that leads to a suspension, that could very easily end the Cowboys chances for the entire season. Whereas, if he just keeps focused and can stay out of trouble for the next 5 months, the Cowboys have a realistic shot at contending. Surely he understands by now what is at stake...
Your absolutely right about everything but the last sentence, I really don't think he gets it. This bar incident was, what 2 weeks ago? He hasn't shown one bit of improvement. I'm not saying it's every day and that he's a walking suspension wating to happen but ai really think he's dumb, arrogant and immature at this point in his life and sometime over the next 6-12 minths he will do something else that gets him in hot water. I just hope it's nothing "major". One season at a time without any other incidents is all I'm asking for. Hopefully football will help with that, he didn't draw too much negative attention during the season last year.

jday

Reaction score
Your absolutely right about everything but the last sentence, I really don't think he gets it. This bar incident was, what 2 weeks ago? He hasn't shown one bit of improvement. I'm not saying it's every day and that he's a walking suspension wating to happen but ai really think he's dumb, arrogant and immature at this point in his life and sometime over the next 6-12 minths he will do something else that gets him in hot water. I just hope it's nothing "major". One season at a time without any other incidents is all I'm asking for. Hopefully football will help with that, he didn't draw too much negative attention during the season last year.
I truly hope your wrong, but I would not be surprised in the least if you are not...

jday

Reaction score
The media has turned into tabloid journalism anymore.
The first 3-4 questions being about Zeke and the off-the-field drama would have been understandable. It literally turned into a press conference about Zeke and the other A-holes that our bringing the Cowboys team-wide discipline and accountability into question. By the fifth or sixth question that was essentially a rehashing of what already had been discussed, I really honestly expected someone from the Cowboys collective on the stage to say something in regards to,"okay, that's enough. That is enough about Zeke and off the field issues. This press conference is about the start of football. Is there any football related questions?"