Zeke should have scored on the screen!

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
on the 1st and 20 screen to zeke which was brilliantly executed Zeke should have scored. He had four blockers for two defenders...For some reason zeke took it to the sideline. I hope they come back to this and he takes one to the house.

http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/Zeke-screen-1_zpsswrbzajs.jpg
http://i8.***BLOCKED***/albums/a46/Theebs/Zeke-screen-2_zps1t0lca57.jpg

DogFace

Carharris2
Reaction score
That was nicely blocked.

Doubt we see it again for while. Unfortunately.

That was the one with all the misdirection. Right?

Where's the one niner at the bottom right of the screen running? I think he's leaving

gimmesix

Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life
Reaction score
Notice the second 49ers defender from the top. He had inside leverage on the blocker. If Elliott had cut to the inside of the block, the blocker would have had to hold the defender. Elliott is reading that block.

If the blocker had been able to get to the inside of the defender, then Elliott would have needed to make the inside move instead of the outside move.

It also would have helped if the other blocker (third from the top) had not chosen to lead Elliott around the corner and instead doubled that defender. They could have washed him out and opened up that lane completely.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
Notice the second 49ers defender from the top. He had inside leverage on the blocker. If Elliott had cut to the inside of the block, the blocker would have had to hold the defender. Elliott is reading that block.

If the blocker had been able to get to the inside of the defender, then Elliott would have needed to make the inside move instead of the outside move.

It also would have helped if the other blocker (third from the top) had not chosen to lead Elliott around the corner and instead doubled that defender. They could have washed him out and opened up that lane completely.

Yes but he took it to the sideline, he had two lanes. Even if the defender gets off that block zeke can go between the two blockers there with the extra free blocker. He took it to the sideline. There was daylight in two other spots.

I hope it sets up just like this in the future. Zeke will score.

JohnsKey19

Reaction score
Hmmmm...it's not a terrible read. He probably thought the LB would be able to spill off that block and slow him down enough until the pursuit caught up. If the WR was able to pin that last DB more towards the inside, Zeke is off to the races down the sideline.

But looking at those pictures, it looks like a great playcall and well executed.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
I am not sure what he saw there
He saw the wave of 4 defenders to his left, and 2 defenders with 3-4 blockers to his right. The deepest defender in that wave to the left was taking an angle down the field, so I don't think Zeke really had a shot at a touchdown if he cut in rather than out.

NZ5nZJq.jpg

Dhragon

Deadly Claws of Death
Reaction score
on the 1st and 20 screen to zeke which was brilliantly executed Zeke should have scored. He had four blockers for two defenders...For some reason zeke took it to the sideline. I hope they come back to this and he takes one to the house.

Really?

I see at least 2 or 3 49ers that would have beaten him to that lane and had the opportunity to tackle him around the 35 yard line or so. Him going to the sideline took those 2 or 3 defenders out of the equation.

ThrowuptheXDez88

Reaction score
Yep LB would've likely redirected Zeke, which would've let the rest of their defense recover and tackle Zeke for about 13-14 yards, I thought he did a fine job following Frederick there.

Hoov

Reaction score

I saw that during the game and thought the same thing right away - and I thought they will definitely play this one back in meetings this week for him. It was a home run if he cut inside - think he just didn't see it.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
He saw the wave of 4 defenders to his left, and 2 defenders with 3-4 blockers to his right. The deepest defender in that wave to the left was taking an angle down the field, so I don't think Zeke really had a shot at a touchdown if he cut in rather than out.

NZ5nZJq.jpg

if he hits one of the two holes its a foot race between him and the defender you put the arrow on. Isnt this what zeke's bread and butter is? Speed and vision. He had two gaping beams of daylight.

Like I said I hope they come back to this, it will be fun to see him in the open field and making the defenders run him down and tackle him.

Zekeats

theranchsucks
Reaction score
I think he got the most he could. I do think he needs to be a little more patient still when there is NOT a whole when running. When the hole is there the burst has been outstanding though and will only get better. We have something special here. Sorry top 10 rb haters and Ramsey lovers.

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
if he hits one of the two holes its a foot race between him and the defender you put the arrow on.
The defender is 10-15 yards upfield and is running in the same direction. The defender would have had the perfect angle on him -- not sure it's physically possible to gain that kind of speed. So, in the end, he'd had to have slowed to juke him, and one of the other 3 defenders in that wave would have caught up at that point.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
The defender is 10-15 yards upfield and is running in the same direction. The defender would have had the perfect angle on him -- not sure it's physically possible to gain that kind of speed. So, in the end, he'd had to have slowed to juke him, and one of the other 3 defenders in that wave would have caught up at that point.

I hope we find out in the future because unfortunately this one we just don't know what would have happen.

Reality

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If you look at the blocker running horizontally in front of him, that's the blocker Elliott was following. If that blocker had blocked the guy he was just passing to the outside, I am sure Elliott would have gone inside. The blocker went outside though, most likely because in most cases, that's where he's supposed to go, and I can understand why Elliott went wide as a result.

On screen plays, it's not like running the ball through the line. They tell you to follow your blockers through the defense, rather than hit the hole. Sure, a more experienced running back might have cut back to the inside even without the lead blocker sealing off the outside, but Elliott is young and is more likely to follow the coaches' instructions rather than improvising.