Zeke timing is impeccable

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The 5th year option is not 100 percent GTD.

There are ways for Dallas to void it. Also, no more bonus/gtd money after 2020.

Why do people think Zeke should risk his career/future $$$ playing on a contract that is 50 percent below the market for elite RBs??

Elite RBs make $$$.

Pay him and get back to football.

If Zeke plays in 2019 and gets injured to the point that the Cowboys cut him, then the 5th year is guaranteed against an injury in that situation.

Most NFL players that are starters during their rookie contracts play for less than market value.

Dak and Zeke were both drafted in 2016.
- Zeke has made 20M.
- Dak has made 2M.

Who has been playing for below market value?

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
I'm not on board with "Gurley money" for a RB, and I don't want to hear about Zeke's contract all season. If I could work a trade for him, I'd do it. That said, I think we'd get low-balled at this point so the drama will likely continue.

Even if he comes back without a deal the drama won't stop. Unfortunately, this team has typically underachieved when there's nonsense going on in the background.

Tussinman

Reaction score
The 5th year option is not 100 percent GTD.

There are ways for Dallas to void it.
In terms of practicality it's guaranteed.

Zeke is on the roster the 1st day of the calendar year for next year season it's fully guaranteed. Zeke gets injured this year its fully guaranteed.

The only scenario it's not 100% guaranteed is if they cut him at the end of the year and he's 100% healthy.........

Tussinman

Reaction score
If Zeke plays in 2019 and gets injured to the point that the Cowboys cut him, then the 5th year is guaranteed against an injury in that situation.
The only scenario that it doesn't become fully guaranteed is the cowboys literally cutting a perfectly healthy Zeke in January........ (so essentially yeah the 5th year is 100% guaranteed).

He gets a career ending injury this year he will of made 34 million dollars to only play 2 full NFL seasons....... (I would love Zeke and his agent to repeat that sentence to the cowboys front office and then try to say with a straight face afterwords "my client is getting screwed")

Altestic

Reaction score
I would not be surprised to see Zeke’s holdout extend well into the regular season. Hopefully Jerry will keep his strong stance.

This is a great opportunity for Dak to play well and further demonstrate that he’s earned a big contract.
If Zeke does hold out in the regular season, I sure hope to god we don't pay Dak until he's proven he can win games consistently just like 2016 or the last half of last year, without Zeke.

Altestic

Reaction score
The only scenario that it doesn't become fully guaranteed is the cowboys literally cutting a perfectly healthy Zeke in January........ (so essentially yeah the 5th year is 100% guaranteed).

He gets a career ending injury this year he will of made 34 million dollars to only play 2 full NFL seasons....... (I would love Zeke and his agent to repeat that sentence to the cowboys front office and then try to say with a straight face afterwords "my client is getting screwed")
I'm getting screwed because I'm 25 (older than Zeke) and only making $128k annually after taxes and benefits. Where's MY millions?

The greedy players are the problem, not the risk-taking businessman owners (all 32 of them).

JPostSam

Reaction score
We all have an opinion about the player and the person that gets discussed often. But whats clear to me is how good the timing for his holdout is. Zeke is getting out ahead of two major processes before they developed fully:

1. Dak Prescott can't carry this team.....Yet! This current team is Zeke dependent until Dak changes the dynamics on the field. Stephen is on record as seeing RBs as interchangeable pieces with a short shelf life. The Jones don't want this to be Zeke dependent team but it is. Drafting a RB that high was an ideological mismatch the Cowboys were forced to make to extend Tony Romo career. That mismatch now wants to be highest paid at his position. Zeke knows the window might be closing on team being so dependent on him as signs point to Dak taking step forward. Zeke leverage (dependency on the field) is at its peak.

2. Four core FA contracts expire within a year (Dak, Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones). Zeke new deal isn't due until 2 years so his fear is that other 4 will leverage Jones to over-pay and leave limited funds for him. Once again he is getting out ahead of this.

the salary cap will be higher in two years. he didn't have to hold out now to get paid.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
In terms of practicality it's guaranteed.

Zeke is on the roster the 1st day of the calendar year for next year season it's fully guaranteed. Zeke gets injured this year its fully guaranteed.

The only scenario it's not 100% guaranteed is if they cut him at the end of the year and he's 100% healthy.........

If Zeke is injured before May 2020, Dallas can void the deal.

Zeke would be very stupid to play in 2019 without a new deal.

DuncanIso

Reaction score
I'm getting screwed because I'm 25 (older than Zeke) and only making $128k annually after taxes and benefits. Where's MY millions?

The greedy players are the problem, not the risk-taking businessman owners (all 32 of them).

Try winning 2 NFL rushing titles in 3 years.

Might be some $$$ for ya.

8)

Tussinman

Reaction score
If Zeke is injured before May 2020, Dallas can void the deal.
5th year injury portion starts May 3rd of the 4th year. If Zeke could not pass a physical by the start of the next league year he gets the full amount in an injury settlement, even if it's an injury he's currently trying to come back from. If he's healthy day 1 of the next league year then it just become fully guaranteed, no injury settlement needed.

No they can't void the injury portion it's already been activated the day they signed the agreement. Recent example of this was Blake Bortles. He had shoulder surgery during his 4th year and couldn't pass a physical. There only option was injury settlement or extend him (they choose to extend him).

Technically if he wanted he could of just sat out and taken the 5th year payout in the form of a settlement since it was guaranteed for injury starting May of the previous calendar year and the jags knew this so they just offered him a new deal

Last edited:

PAPPYDOG

There are no Dak haters just Cowboy lovers!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
the salary cap will be higher in two years. he didn't have to hold out now to get paid.

Ya did you hear the one about seaside property in Idaho?
LOL....

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
You’ve proven time over time that there is nothing positive in your life or about you. So who exactly are you trying to kid with your posts?
Himself.

Looking in the mirror wearing his Wentz jammies yet claims to be a Cowboy fan.

A suppository taken orally may help him..........who knows.

ghst187

Reaction score
We all have an opinion about the player and the person that gets discussed often. But whats clear to me is how good the timing for his holdout is. Zeke is getting out ahead of two major processes before they developed fully:

1. Dak Prescott can't carry this team.....Yet! This current team is Zeke dependent until Dak changes the dynamics on the field. Stephen is on record as seeing RBs as interchangeable pieces with a short shelf life. The Jones don't want this to be Zeke dependent team but it is. Drafting a RB that high was an ideological mismatch the Cowboys were forced to make to extend Tony Romo career. That mismatch now wants to be highest paid at his position. Zeke knows the window might be closing on team being so dependent on him as signs point to Dak taking step forward. Zeke leverage (dependency on the field) is at its peak.

2. Four core FA contracts expire within a year (Dak, Cooper, Jaylon Smith, Byron Jones). Zeke new deal isn't due until 2 years so his fear is that other 4 will leverage Jones to over-pay and leave limited funds for him. Once again he is getting out ahead of this.

Astute observations! Kudos

JPostSam

Reaction score
He’s 50 percent below market for elite RBs.

He is very smart for wanting the new deal now.

what's the market for elite running backs about to start the fourth year of their rookie contract, who already have the 5th year option picked up?

JPostSam

Reaction score
Ya did you hear the one about seaside property in Idaho?
LOL....

it rises about $10 million per team, per year.

do you think that something catastrophic will happen to league revenue in the next year or so to make the salary cap drop in 2021 and beyond?