Zeke vs Barkley: Which is best RB in NFL?

quickccc

Reaction score
Zeke Elliott vs Saquon Barkley NYG- who is the best RB in NFL ?

I admit that I go back and forth with this question and I can see why there’s always a comparison between the two.
Both RBs have great run instincts, extremely athletic (hurdling tacklers) have been extremely productive and possess dangerous breakaway ability.
Both players have receiving ability that’s been under-utilized with their respective teams, imo. But if used properly can be very dangerous.

- Zeke is a one cut runner who seems more powerful between the tackles, and gets more yardage after contact. I’ve heard testimonies from opposing players say that Zeke tends to wear you
down with his power and relentless, ..drive while you still have to always be on alert of his ability to break a play open - whether its' a run play or that patented screen pass
Plus Zeke is a better blitz blocker than Barkley.

- Barkley is probably the most explosive breakaway back in the entire NFL – I think he is more elusive than Zeke, harder to bring down in the open field, (tacklers just slide off his legs like butter)
And he has an edge in that special extra gear to hit the home TD run sprint – even more than zeke.

So what are your thoughts when comparing the two RBs ?

EST_1986

Reaction score
Zeke now. Barkley has another few more years like last then its obviously him and he will be paid as such.

ghst187

Reaction score
Everyone rates Bark as better and maybe he will be but I’m not sure, like you said, he can just wear teams down like The Ewok. Curious as to how many negative runs they each have bc Bark does a lot more Barry like stuff whereas Zeke seems to generally always pushing forward. Seems somewhat like the old Emmitt vs Barry debates. Barry had more highlight reels but Emmitt had his share too plus consistently closed out games. Both great, Zeke fits our style better.

pugilist

Stick N Move
Reaction score
slight edge to Barkley since he has around the same production as Zeke and is hamstrung with a trash QB

Loso86

Reaction score
Well if stats play a part. I really have a hard time putting any back over Zeke. Not because I'm a homer but because its truth. Barkley is more explosive yes but in all categories I fill Zeke is best. That's not including stats. Minus the bogus suspension 21 would have 3 consecutive seasons as the rushing champ.

kskboys

Reaction score
Zeke Elliott vs Saquon Barkley NYG- who is the best RB in NFL ?

I admit that I go back and forth with this question and I can see why there’s always a comparison between the two.
Both RBs have great run instincts, extremely athletic (hurdling tacklers) have been extremely productive and possess dangerous breakaway ability.
Both players have receiving ability that’s been under-utilized with their respective teams, imo. But if used properly can be very dangerous.

- Zeke is a one cut runner who seems more powerful between the tackles, and gets more yardage after contact. I’ve heard testimonies from opposing players say that Zeke tends to wear you
down with his power and relentless, ..drive while you still have to always be on alert of his ability to break a play open - whether its' a run play or that patented screen pass
Plus Zeke is a better blitz blocker than Barkley.

- Barkley is probably the most explosive breakaway back in the entire NFL – I think he is more elusive than Zeke, harder to bring down in the open field, (tacklers just slide off his legs like butter)
And he has an edge in that special extra gear to hit the home TD run sprint – even more than zeke.

So what are your thoughts when comparing the two RBs ?
They are actually so polar opposite it's almost impossible to truly compare and declare one as clearly better.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
It's interesting that there are some that are on either extremes. Elliott has done more for longer, so he gets the edge. But we're talking a much smaller margin than some think around here. Barkley very well may surpass Elliott's numbers/stats, but he's played one season and we need to pump the breaks on him taking the crown. For now.
I would be happy with either. But if you're emotional about Elliott's contract, wait until Barkley gets extended. IF he plays at a high level.
Elliott is just a touch better IMO, but again, it's so close it's really not worth arguing.

Super_Kazuya

Reaction score
Neither of them, according to the players (NFL Top 100) or the sports media (AP All-Pro for the last two years)...

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I will take Barkley in today's game because he scores TD's and can do that from anywhere on the field and is an absolute freak of nature with his balance. He may have the strongest legs of any RB to ever play the game. I cannot name one that could have made that leap to score that TD against the Cowboys last season.

Back in the day, I would take Elliott because he's a between the tackles power back and TOP meant something back then. Back then, you could look at TOP and passing yards and pretty much tell the winner without knowing the score, that has reversed.

I would also take a healthy Gurley over Elliott but Elliott's durability is a big plus when you consider how many games RB's miss.

jazzcat22

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Would you rather have runs of....

5, 10, 25, 4, 7, 5, 6, 40, 4, 5, 1 (they just needed a yard to get a 1st down on that play), 17, 5, 12
or
3, -3, 2, 5, -4, 4, 3, 5, -1, 65, -3, 4, -1 (they tried to get a 1st down and couldn't), 2 (that was from another RB when they needed a 1st down), 3, -2

shabazz

Reaction score
Both Elite backs, however, lets see them both under duress, when it counts the most to see whos got the heart of a champion

Emmitt showed what he was made of in that Playoff deciding game against the Giants way back when, where he continued to play smash mouth football and break big gains with a dislocated shoulder. Barry Sanders would have NEVER done that although he was considered the elite one of the two.

Time will tell

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
I look at them exactly in the same way I did in the Emmitt-Barry Sanders debate. Sanders would wow you more than Emmitt. He was a “prettier” runner. He would break more long, ankle-breaking runs. Emmitt was much more consistent and more dependable. He got the yards when you absolutely needed it. He put the team on his back at times. He ended games. If you’re down 4 with 50 seconds to go on the 4 yard line in the Super Bowl, who do you want to give the ball to? The answer is clearly Emmitt. Emmitt was the better, more complete back. Zeke is Emmitt and Barkley is Sanders. Thus endeth the lesson.

CWR

Reaction score
Hands-down it’s Barkley. Anyone else who says otherwise is either a homer or just trying to stir **** up

There's definitely an argument for Barkley, but lets see him do it one more year first. I also like the fact you dont hear a bunch of tmz trash about Barkley.