Zeke was smart to hold out when he did

Ken

Reaction score
He did have that injury. Maybe he lost focus?
I mean he definitely was injured. He was playing fine before it....certainly not highest paid rb in the league fine but i would take it compared to previous years.

Sydla

Reaction score
The worst part is that Jerry and his dopey kid seemed to have this figured out back in 2015. They refused to go big money on a deal for Murray. They cited studies and analysis that showed the drop off in production after certain usage, that their analysis shows teams don't get the return on their investment in TBs, that TBs tend to fall off faster than any other position, etc.

And then literally 12 months later, these boobs apparently lost all that analysis and used the 4th pick on a TB and then a few years later handed him the biggest contract for a TB in NFL history.

It's moves like this as to why people shouldn't assume Jerry knows what the hell he's doing.

G2

Taco Engineer
Reaction score
The first mistake was drafting a RB with the 4th overall, everything that happens after that is moot. Non of what has happened since his extension is his fault. It's the clown in the FO.
Worse than that, they run two RBs who have tears right into the ground. With no reserve players. Well done!

basel90

Reaction score
He got his money before he fell off. Now set for life if he's not dumb with his money. Had he waited one more season he wouldn't have gotten paid nearly what he got. On the flip side, his contract hurts Dallas.
knowing how gullible jerry is , he would have signed him anyway . Jerry guarateed zeke even after last year's bad outing. crazy stuff. and now they complain about the cap.

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
It's moves like this as to why people shouldn't assume Jerry knows what the hell he's doing.

He knows what he's doing, he just does the wrong things for the wrong reasons.

Jerry falls in love with players, jersey sales, etc. Tries to keep it going as long as he can.

I'm still surprised Jaylon got cut. I'd really loved to have been a fly on the wall for those convos.

shabazz

Reaction score
Gurley, Zeke and McCaffrey…all big contracts that reset the RB market, all mistakes.

paying the big bucks to McCaffrey I get. The dude was literally 60% of the offense and the injuries are the only issue with him…..wish I could say the same about Zeke

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No he is washed. That is two years in a row of sub par play. Last year it was marginal running couple with fumbles ...

This year he couldn't run at all.
Wrong. He ran well to start the season.

StuckMojo

Reaction score
paying the big bucks to McCaffrey I get. The dude was literally 60% of the offense and the injuries are the only issue with him…..wish I could say the same about Zeke
The dude has barely seen the field since his big payday

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
He got his money before he fell off. Now set for life if he's not dumb with his money. Had he waited one more season he wouldn't have gotten paid nearly what he got. On the flip side, his contract hurts Dallas.

Zeke and his agent outsmarted Jerry and Stephen. They counted on the Jones boys to cave, and they were right .

kumizi

Reaction score
The Zeke situation is a prime example of why the Cowboys havent won in nearly 30 years.

Take a RB #4 overall: stupid
Pay that RB the biggest contract in NFL history: stupid
Play that RB over a better player because of his contract: mind boggingly stupid. Jerry Jones special

Jfconrow

Reaction score
He had to that was his only shot. He’s a really good RB, just was injured this year.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Elliott is no fool and he had the last season of Demarco Murray's as a clue to his future.

I also remember a play when he went airborne and came down on the turf awkwardly on his knee that season. He had a surprised look on his face and went to the sideline. He'd been pretty indestructible in his career and was a contact player and I think it entered his mind he was human after all.

Add to this his agent had the history of the Cowboys with their stars and they always blink. The Cowboys are like ab abused wife that just keeps taking her husband back and never learns. They are terrible negotiators and when Booger blew up and Elliott went back to Mexico, you knew it was over, the Cowboys would lose another negotiation and overpay another player.

Every management gets a rep for how they deal with agents and players and the Cowboys are a joke and are dumb enough to let it be known which agents they don't like dealing with....the best ones. If I am a player on this team, I know just what agents make the Joneses blink every time.

Agents for the better FA's don't even bother with the Cowboys because they know they are in too deep paying their own guys that they like so much.

khiladi

Reaction score
If Dak deserved to get paid on past performance, than Zeke deserved way more than Dak for carrying the latter. And Zeke was being paid because he was considered the engine behind the Dallas offense, which is why they would sit him in games to end the end season to rest while Dak played.

Further, Dak was well aware that NFL revenue was going up especially via gambling revenue. He basically stated at the time that him getting money, doesn’t preclude Zeke or Amari from getting paid. So Dak didn’t need to take a ‘hometown’ discount per his words.

He’s right. Salary cap is just done number the owners come up with, that they can maneuver if they want. I don’t hate any of them for ‘setting the market’. The owners can follow suit and set the market by upping the salary cap.

The reality is, why call Dak greedy, while ignoring the owners who don’t even reveal the books. Jerry bought a 400 million dollar yacht and he hasn’t done Jack squat to make the Cowboys relevant on the field for the last 26 plus years.

I don’t hate Dak for the contract. We all negotiate for better salaries. I just thinks he “sucks” as a QB.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...give-dallas-hometown-discount-on-new-contract

Last edited:

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
If I were a GM, I would never have a RB or WR on a second contract, there are just too many of them and not enough OL, who have longer careers.

I've heard Booger talk about the New England model but I wonder if he even understands it? Belichick has a formula for how much he will pay every position, including QB.

If they want to emulate what he's done, why not look at how and who he pays?