Zeke's Fumble

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Straw man argument. His money had zero to do with his play last night. Further, the post you are replying to is another straw man. How many times have you seen a player leap out of the pile with the ball and run like he was the one who recovered it? Yet the runner was down. What happens in a pile is not necessarily the fault of the running back or ball carrier.

Uh, do you know what a strawman argument is? :huh:
There is no opponent with whom I'm arguing. There is no cause-and-effect conclusion drawn by my statement. I didn't say "He made so much money, now he can't hold on to the football." That would be causation.
Rather, I said if he's going to make all that money, our expectations for him is that he should hold on to the football in critical times. It was a statement of EXPECTATION.
Second, I don't care if he was in a pile. HOLD ON TO THE FOOTBALL!!! No excuses.

So when Zeke was scoring touchdowns in the previous games, were you posting he was living up to his money? I doubt it.
Because that's what he's SUPPOSE to do. You don't reward a man for taking care of his family. That's what he's SUPPOSE to do. You don't reward a man for brushing his teeth. That's what he's SUPPOSE to do. You don't reward a man for showing up for work. That's what he's SUPPOSE to do.
But you DO criticize a man for not taking care of his family, not brushing his teeth when a toothbrush and tooth paste are available, when he doesn't show up for work because he's too lazy to get out of bed. Do I need to explain to you why? ;)

By the way, Emmitt, as a Cowboy, had 55 fumbles. So your posts suggests you know every one and not one was in a critical time in the game. Is that right?
Yep, that's right. You wanna prove me wrong? The balls in your hands. Don't fumble. :laugh:

mmohican29

Reaction score

In what way is this a fumble? That was a horrible call and the refs let the home crowd make the call for them

To the OP's point, I believe Collinsworth's bantered input questioning what everyone objectively should have seen as Zeke down was the sway factor for the "not enough evidence to overturn"

Horrible job by him, and just shows to the continued biases put before the actual rules of the game league wide.

It's a semi-steered league at this point. Noone can tell me differently.

blueblood70

Reaction score
:hammer:

Especially when you're going to hold out for big money. Emmitt Smith didn't put the ball on the ground in critical moments.

ES had seasons where he had 8 fumbles twice some 6 fumbles a few 4 etc.. they happen and sorry a fumble that wasn't a fumble isnt fumble in critical situation..

we all saw it and not being biased, he was down and did all he could to hold that ball as we could all see the defender had two hands on it for what seems like the whole play and zeke kept it until he hit the ground and that little extra tug shook it loose..

you know what real fumble looks like ask Jason Witten, no doubt worse..at least Zeke was fighting for the yard on 4th and 1 so if he didnt get it with max effort , he would have tuned over right there anyway..

STOP USING MONEY AND STATUS AS REASON TO SAY IRRATIONAL THINGS LIKE YOU Cant make mistakes ever from here on out..omg dudes you are ridiculous!! .

but we all saw it wasn't a fumble.. he relaxed after his elbow hit.. cut him now smh

erod

Reaction score
The officials seem to let turnovers play out so the replay will automatically kick in and help with the correct call. The problem is the call on the field has to be reversed by irrefutable evidence which is a tough standard in cases like Zeke’s fumble. With the Dak forward pass it was much clearer.

Good point.

They need to be able to let the play continue, but still rule the runner was down so the irrefutable part doesn't kick in.

eromeopolk

Reaction score
I am biased. Let's get that out there up front.

I watched the replay of the fumble by Zeke, as everyone who watched the game did. I disagree with the comments made about clear evidence.

Now let's also get this out of the way. I think it is a huge mistake for the broadcast to have an official second guessing the call. There is a reason baseball does not allow replays of balls and strikes to occur on the stadium big screens. My belief is this exacerbates the fans angst over missed calls. Especially when the "expert" in the booth seems to either get it wrong, or disagrees with the eye in the sky that is the ultimate arbiter.

To me (remember the bias) Zeke's elbow was down. The "expert" suggested the ball was moving, yet - again, to me - it did not move until he hit the ground. The "expert" said he did not have control. Yet the ball was still in the crook of his arm until he touched down.

I could be wrong. Most here that know me can point to those times with ease. But in that scrum, I don't believe the refs had enough information to make that call to begin with.

I also think the completely asinine thought process of reversing the call leaves out a significant aspect. The fact in a scrum, the refs don't have a clear cut view, and therefore cannot make an accurate call. The refs could not possibly see that fumble from any angle they had. So the automatic cannot reverse the call has a flaw that the refs cannot say they just didn't see it correctly.

In Zeke's defense, he usually is really good at covering up. But he, like every other ball carrier will occasionally put it on the ground. I think this was a bang bang play and there was no ref that could clearly see the ball come out and whether is was down or it was a strip.

I surely think the "expert" is just winging it, and find this aspect of the game as a way to stir up the viewing audience. In other words I believe this is a stupid idea.

But again, I believe Zeke was down and there was no clear cut view by the officials on the field to make the initial call, and the "expert" was incorrect in his elbow touching before the ball slipped out.

Just my opinion.
Its the Mardi Gras Mambo, the Mardi Gras Mambo, the Mardi Gras Mambo...Down in New Orleans.

CCBoy

Reaction score
I agree with your first point and disagree with your second.

It was one of those nights. They happen.

But the Linehan comment I take issue with. Part of the movement pre snap requires the QB to be heard for the snap of the ball for the guys on the wings. It seems to me the only way you can assure that is a pre arranged silent count. The movement would effect that snap count.

I could be wrong. Not taking a shot at you.

That crew was looking for calls to make...

blueblood70

Reaction score
I just don't see any fumble.

But I do see his elbow on the ground.
none of us can thats why the criticism he fumbled is ridiculous.. HE DID NOT>.yes Dez it was catch..":))

I felt like NO nearly got all the calls, its almost as the officials saw way to MAKE UP for some horrible calls they have had go against them after seeing the reviews during the week, RG said go help them win game ..we owe them a few..

mahoneybill

Reaction score
Elliott fumbled six times last year and only lost one of them. Law of averages worked against him in this one and hopefully, have him being a little more careful with the ball.

To me he was stripped of the football while down. Its not like the ball popped loose when he made contact....

The saints used the confusion of the pile to run out with the ball making it look like a clean " fumble recovery"

glimmerman

Reaction score
No way it was a fumble. I believe his knee and hip was down also. When it happened I was mad and then when they were reviewing and showed it again I was ok because I made the stupid assumption it would be overturned and was looking to the next play they were going to call thinking it was a first down.

glimmerman

Reaction score
none of us can thats why the criticism he fumbled is ridiculous.. HE DID NOT>.yes Dez it was catch..":))

I felt like NO nearly got all the calls, its almost as the officials saw way to MAKE UP for some horrible calls they have had go against them after seeing the reviews during the week, RG said go help them win game ..we owe them a few..
The fg they got before the half. Wasn’t it the play before that the game clock didn’t start for about 4 seconds after the play started...

aria

Reaction score
I am biased. Let's get that out there up front.

I watched the replay of the fumble by Zeke, as everyone who watched the game did. I disagree with the comments made about clear evidence.

Now let's also get this out of the way. I think it is a huge mistake for the broadcast to have an official second guessing the call. There is a reason baseball does not allow replays of balls and strikes to occur on the stadium big screens. My belief is this exacerbates the fans angst over missed calls. Especially when the "expert" in the booth seems to either get it wrong, or disagrees with the eye in the sky that is the ultimate arbiter.

To me (remember the bias) Zeke's elbow was down. The "expert" suggested the ball was moving, yet - again, to me - it did not move until he hit the ground. The "expert" said he did not have control. Yet the ball was still in the crook of his arm until he touched down.

I could be wrong. Most here that know me can point to those times with ease. But in that scrum, I don't believe the refs had enough information to make that call to begin with.

I also think the completely asinine thought process of reversing the call leaves out a significant aspect. The fact in a scrum, the refs don't have a clear cut view, and therefore cannot make an accurate call. The refs could not possibly see that fumble from any angle they had. So the automatic cannot reverse the call has a flaw that the refs cannot say they just didn't see it correctly.

In Zeke's defense, he usually is really good at covering up. But he, like every other ball carrier will occasionally put it on the ground. I think this was a bang bang play and there was no ref that could clearly see the ball come out and whether is was down or it was a strip.

I surely think the "expert" is just winging it, and find this aspect of the game as a way to stir up the viewing audience. In other words I believe this is a stupid idea.

But again, I believe Zeke was down and there was no clear cut view by the officials on the field to make the initial call, and the "expert" was incorrect in his elbow touching before the ball slipped out.

Just my opinion.
He was second in the league in fumbles last year. Barkley and Gurley had ZERO fumbles! Zeke had six. One of his several weaknesses is protecting the ball, stop making excuses for him.

glimmerman

Reaction score
yes they got free shot at the gl and a fg all in 4 secs..huh? clockgate..
Lol. Look we lost and I get it. But Elliot did not fumble. He was down. They got a free fg attempt. Witten fumbles and I saw it coming from my chair. Was hoping he would hold on to it or just go down. It was a first down on a scoring drive. But end of the night we didn’t do enough. Not very aggressive with the play calling. No deep shots down field. The mistakes cost us but we should have picked them apart.

phildadon86

Reaction score
Emmitt also had a way of turning nothing into something. He had a refuse to accept defeat mentality in big moments and games that made him a generational talent.
Kind of like Zeke in Pittsburgh in his rookie year? Zeke multiple times has gained 3 yards when he is supposed to lose 5. He had a bad game, and the OL did him NO favours.