Zeke's Fumble

blueblood70

Reaction score
Grammar **** at your service. ;)
I didn't attack your grammar simply for misspelling a word. I attacked your grammar because it was incomprehensible. The key to communication is understanding. You responded to my post so CLEARLY you wanted me to understand what you were writing.

Second, no, I don't have to show proof. I merely have to appeal to Emmitt's overall character, talent and clutchiness. Few dispute this. Those who take exception to it must show the proof. So, for example, if I say, Brady is clutch when the game is on the line, I don't have to prove that because many if not most people know Brady based on his clutch performances. It's pretty much common knowledge. The person taking exception to his clutchiness would have to show how and why he isn't clutch.

Way to move from a specific point to a general one. I didn't mention EVERY HALL OF FAME PLAYER. I mentioned ONE: first name, Emmitt, last name, Smith. :)

So we're moving from what I said about fumbling to Emmitt not converting a 3 and 1 and 4 and 1. You're reaching now. :laugh:

:huh:
not getting a yard in two straight runs is an example of not clutch, he didnt always move the chains or have great games..i just remember that game..I believe it was switzer led team..

I'm saying its so far in the rear view mirror, history, the HOF, we wont remember them like we do IN THE MOMENT..this game last night was a game 4 of the RS and if and when we make the playoffs and start a new run, it will be lost forever in its meaning..

the playoffs however is a different story and really the offense hasn't lost a playoff game in recent history, its been bad defense..

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
I suppose but they are very rarely ever going to be able to see real time "in a pile" if there is a fumble or not, hence just calling it a fumble and letting the automatic replay confirm one way or the other.

I don't disagree with you but when the ref says that it was moving/fumble and the video replay did not show it wasn't moving (well in their eyes), then it was going to stand. It was a crap call if you ask me

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
I watched the replay of the fumble by Zeke, as everyone who watched the game did. I disagree with the comments made about clear evidence.

I also think the completely asinine thought process of reversing the call leaves out a significant aspect. The fact in a scrum, the refs don't have a clear cut view, and therefore cannot make an accurate call.

I think they have more camera angles than you.

Also, is anyone looking at when the knees went down?

tyke1doe

Reaction score
not getting a yard in two straight runs is an example of not clutch, he didnt always move the chains or have great games..i just remember that game..I believe it was switzer led team..
I was talking about fumbling at critical moments. I simply don't recall Emmitt doing so.

I'm saying its so far in the rear view mirror, history, the HOF, we wont remember them like we do IN THE MOMENT..this game last night was a game 4 of the RS and if and when we make the playoffs and start a new run, it will be lost forever in its meaning..
Fair enough. But Zeke's holdout is fresh in my memory - and in other people's memories. So it stands out. But you are correct. He has plenty of opportunities to put this incident in his rear view mirror. We beat the Saints in the NFC Championship, and it will amount to a "who cares" movement. :D

the playoffs however is a different story and really the offense hasn't lost a playoff game in recent history, its been bad defense..
I wish we had won. But I'm not panicking. Still too much football to be played.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Zeke didn’t put the ball on the ground either. This is the fans time to crap on Lawrence, Jaylon and Zeke for getting paid. You guys are predictable with this.
Well, this is the "Zeke fumble" thread. Shrug.

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
I am biased. Let's get that out there up front.

I watched the replay of the fumble by Zeke, as everyone who watched the game did. I disagree with the comments made about clear evidence.

Now let's also get this out of the way. I think it is a huge mistake for the broadcast to have an official second guessing the call. There is a reason baseball does not allow replays of balls and strikes to occur on the stadium big screens. My belief is this exacerbates the fans angst over missed calls. Especially when the "expert" in the booth seems to either get it wrong, or disagrees with the eye in the sky that is the ultimate arbiter.

To me (remember the bias) Zeke's elbow was down. The "expert" suggested the ball was moving, yet - again, to me - it did not move until he hit the ground. The "expert" said he did not have control. Yet the ball was still in the crook of his arm until he touched down.

I could be wrong. Most here that know me can point to those times with ease. But in that scrum, I don't believe the refs had enough information to make that call to begin with.

I also think the completely asinine thought process of reversing the call leaves out a significant aspect. The fact in a scrum, the refs don't have a clear cut view, and therefore cannot make an accurate call. The refs could not possibly see that fumble from any angle they had. So the automatic cannot reverse the call has a flaw that the refs cannot say they just didn't see it correctly.

In Zeke's defense, he usually is really good at covering up. But he, like every other ball carrier will occasionally put it on the ground. I think this was a bang bang play and there was no ref that could clearly see the ball come out and whether is was down or it was a strip.

I surely think the "expert" is just winging it, and find this aspect of the game as a way to stir up the viewing audience. In other words I believe this is a stupid idea.

But again, I believe Zeke was down and there was no clear cut view by the officials on the field to make the initial call, and the "expert" was incorrect in his elbow touching before the ball slipped out.

Just my opinion.
I thought his knee hit well before his elbow.........

tyke1doe

Reaction score
No this is another opportunity to crap on someone who got paid. Because Witten fumbled and I see a thread?
I can't judge people's motives. I simply respond to the thread that interest me. Did someone post a Witten fumble thread? I'd be interested in weighing in on that one too. :)

Starforever

Reaction score
CowboysZone DIEHARD Fan
I can't judge people's motives. I simply respond to the thread that interest me. Did someone post a Witten fumble thread? I'd be interested in weighing in on that one too. :)

Well why don't you start it, and give us your thoughts on a Hall of Famer fumbling at a critical time.

Playmaker3128

Reaction score
Not sure if mentioned yet but there was no way the people who viewed that replay were going to let us win. After what happened last year with the saints and this year. They were owed a call and they got one. I can't think of any other game where that isn't overturned.

That being said thats not why we lost. Mistakes is why we lost.

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
Elbow was down, no fumble. But of course, the refs have to screw the Cowboys somehow. The conspiracy continues.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
Well why don't you start it, and give us your thoughts on a Hall of Famer fumbling at a critical time.
I don't want to. I'd rather respond than start threads. I'm very judicious about the threads I start. :)

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
I am biased. Let's get that out there up front.

Now let's also get this out of the way. I think it is a huge mistake for the broadcast to have an official second guessing the call. There is a reason baseball does not allow replays of balls and strikes to occur on the stadium big screens. My belief is this exacerbates the fans angst over missed calls. Especially when the "expert" in the booth seems to either get it wrong, or disagrees with the eye in the sky that is the ultimate arbiter.

To me (remember the bias) Zeke's elbow was down. The "expert" suggested the ball was moving, yet - again, to me - it did not move until he hit the ground. The "expert" said he did not have control. Yet the ball was still in the crook of his arm until he touched down.

I could be wrong. Most here that know me can point to those times with ease. But in that scrum, I don't believe the refs had enough information to make that call to begin with.

I also think the completely asinine thought process of reversing the call leaves out a significant aspect. The fact in a scrum, the refs don't have a clear cut view, and therefore cannot make an accurate call. The refs could not possibly see that fumble from any angle they had. So the automatic cannot reverse the call has a flaw that the refs cannot say they just didn't see it correctly.

In Zeke's defense, he usually is really good at covering up. But he, like every other ball carrier will occasionally put it on the ground. I think this was a bang bang play and there was no ref that could clearly see the ball come out and whether is was down or it was a strip.

I surely think the "expert" is just winging it, and find this aspect of the game as a way to stir up the viewing audience. In other words I believe this is a stupid idea.

But again, I believe Zeke was down and there was no clear cut view by the officials on the field to make the initial call, and the "expert" was incorrect in his elbow touching before the ball slipped out.

Just my opinion.

Seemed like there were a bunch of controversial calls yesterday....Lions/Chiefs...was another game...were a fumble recovery for the Chiefs....was returned 100 yards for a TD. That's a 14pt swing. Sure seems like the refs are playing an even bigger role in the outcome of games...which is bad for the game. :rolleyes:

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think they have more camera angles than you.

Also, is anyone looking at when the knees went down?
Elbow was down before knees.

He had the ball in his grasp when his elbow hit the ground. If the ball moved it was both of his hands and the ball moving together.

I don't think the ball even comes out if not for his arm hitting the ground. The arm hitting seemed to give enough movement for the defender to pull it out.

MarcusRock

Reaction score
Elbow was down before knees.

He had the ball in his grasp when his elbow hit the ground. If the ball moved it was both of his hands and the ball moving together.

I don't think the ball even comes out if not for his arm hitting the ground. The arm hitting seemed to give enough movement for the defender to pull it out.

Don't think it was the hands and ball moving together. Zeke's bottom hand had already started coming off the ball so it was definitely already being nicely pried away before hitting the ground with the way it was being turned, and I think would have come out whether he hit the ground or not. The impact of the ground didn't make the ball come out. Gravity and being pulled in the opposite direction of gravity did.

Elliott-Fumble1-1.gif