Zeroes on check raise red flag at Fort Worth bank

PosterChild

Reaction score
By DEANNA BOYD
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Ray Fuller

FORT WORTH -- An aspiring record-label owner is singing the blues after being arrested last week when bank employees said he tried to pass a $360 billion check.

When they saw all those zeroes (10 to be exact), employees at Chase Bank, 8601 S. Hulen St., called the account holder. She said that Charles Ray Fuller, 21, of Crowley, is her daughter's boyfriend and that he did not have permission to take the check or try to cash it.

Fuller now faces charges of fraud, unlawfully carrying a weapon and possession of marijuana. Officers reported finding less than two ounces of marijuana and a .25-caliber handgun and magazine in his pockets.
While in a patrol car, police said, Fuller blurted out that he is starting his own record label and his girlfriend's mother gave him the money to help him out.

Apparently breaking into the music business is not cheap. But bail was less expensive: Fuller was released from Mansfield Jail on Thursday after posting $3,750.

http://www.star-telegram.com/804/story/613403.html

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
I know of someone recently who wrote a $20 check that was changed to $20,000.

Unlike this story, however, the bank inexplicably cashed it. They know who did it, but have only recovered about half of the money so far. Be careful who you give your checks to.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Mavs Man;2065261 said:
I know of someone recently who wrote a $20 check that was changed to $20,000.

Unlike this story, however, the bank inexplicably cashed it. They know who did it, but have only recovered about half of the money so far. Be careful who you give your checks to.

Well, this guy in the story isn't all that sophisticated(duh) but more savvy crooks can enjoy more success with troubling ease. I had an employee who embezzled thousands from me through various schemes online via routing and acct number before it was discovered. It's astonishingly easy to do, and local law enforcement doesn't take esp seriously unless it reaches a certain threshold. They say it happens all the time and actually suggested that I allow it to continue until I could call in the FBI. It was learning exp.

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
PosterChild;2065290 said:
Well, this guy in the story isn't all that sophisticated(duh) but more savvy crooks can enjoy more success with troubling ease. I had an employee who embezzled thousands from me through various schemes online via routing and acct number before it was discovered. It's astonishingly easy to do, and local law enforcement doesn't take esp seriously unless it reaches a certain threshold. They say it happens all the time and actually suggested that I allow it to continue until I could call in the FBI. It was learning exp.

:eek: Yowza! Not sure if I could be that patient.

PosterChild

Reaction score
Mavs Man;2065492 said:
:eek: Yowza! Not sure if I could be that patient.

Oh, I wasn't! I had no desire to continue to get hosed so i could send him up the river for 10+. Fired him and turned it over to cops who just sat on it. I learned a lot about law enforcement and their insane caseload...

Mavs Man

All outta bubble gum
Reaction score
PosterChild;2065506 said:
Oh, I wasn't! I had no desire to continue to get hosed so i could send him up the river for 10+. Fired him and turned it over to cops who just sat on it. I learned a lot about law enforcement and their insane caseload...

True. Shows like CSI make the process seem like they go gungho on every case they receive. Just not enough funding/manpower/time.