Zierlein has DeForest Buckner as 3rd best prospect in the draft

RS12

Reaction score
134038.jpg

DeForest Buckner | Defensive End
Team: Oregon Ducks
Ht / Wt: 6'7' / 290

NFL Media analyst Lance Zierlein ranks Oregon DE DeForest Buckner as the No. 3 overall prospect in the draft.

Zierlein compares Buckner to Calais Campbell, a totem that has gained some traction. "His comp is going to be Calais Campbell or Arik Armstead but I think he's more talented coming out than either one of those guys. He's twice the player Armstead was coming out," an NFC Regional Scout told Zierlein during the season. The 6-foot-7, 290-pound Oregon product is coming off a monstercampaign, putting up 83 tackles, 17 TFL and a Pac-12 leading 10.5 sacks. "Buckner has the body type of a classic 3-4 defensive end who can control the point of attack with length and power, but he has above average pass rush potential for that position which figures to push him into the early stages of round one," Zierlein wrote. "Buckner has similar power to former teammate Arik Armstead, but is a much better pass rusher and has a chance to become a dominant force in the NFL." Feb 10 - 4:50 PM

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
He can play in a 4-3. He's not scheme specific despite some people's efforts to box him.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
He sucks.....:rolleyes:

LOL @ all the hype these crappy players are getting thinking the Cowboys might bite w/ the 4th pick.

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Seems like a lot of people out there like him.
Whether he can play in either scheme...it seems most view him as more of a 3-4 DE.

JIMMYBUFFETT

Skinwalker
Reaction score
He sucks.....:rolleyes:

LOL @ all the hype these crappy players are getting thinking the Cowboys might bite w/ the 4th pick.

I'm not a big Buckner fan but this is just a stupid comment. Really a waste of space.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
A 3-4 defensive end is the third best prospect in the draft? This may wind up being one of the most talent devoid drafts in history if that's true.

Buckner isn't a bad player, he doesn't look like someone who will ever be more than pretty good to me though. He has motor issues and plays way too tall. NFL guards are going to get under him and throw him around.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
A 3-4 defensive end is the third best prospect in the draft? This may wind up being one of the most talent devoid drafts in history if that's true.

Buckner isn't a bad player, he doesn't look like someone who will ever be more than pretty good to me though. He has motor issues and plays way too tall. NFL guards are going to get under him and throw him around.

Yup.....just watched a "highlight" tape of him. Now if you go off this tape...he looks good rushing the passer...but there are truck loads of tape of him just getting abused in the run game.

DBOY3141

Reaction score

Of course it will be....the Cowboys are picking #4.

texbumthelife

Reaction score
Yup.....just watched a "highlight" tape of him. Now if you go off this tape...he looks good rushing the passer...but there are truck loads of tape of him just getting abused in the run game.

He comes off the line so high sometimes I don't know how he doesn't spend more time on his back. If he came off that high against a pulling La'el Collins, he's going 10 feet the wrong direction and Collins will keep moving like a locomotive. I see potential, but the negatives I see are things that are going to be very difficult to coach out of him. He doesn't have natural lean around the corner and he doesn't really have a go-to move yet, like Gregory had.

I have no idea how this kid is getting so much hype. Looks like Jason Hatchy/Chris Canty to me.

Also, I'm glad you're using my boy Harris Highlights when you post vids now. That kid is the best in the biz.