Zierlein: Paxton Lynch displays qualities of a top QB prospect

RS12

Reaction score
Quarterback-specific grading

Body type: Lynch is very tall with an average build, but there's room for more mass on his frame. He should have more than enough size to take the rigors of NFL hits from inside and outside the pocket.

Decision-making: There was one throw in the first half that was ill-advised, but other than that, Lynch made relatively good decisions with the ball for the first 52 minutes of the game. Granted, he had plenty of throws that were designed or off of a single read, but he did show an ability to dart his eyes from target to target quickly when needed.

In the middle of the fourth quarter, off of an inside play-fake from the shotgun, Lynch popped up and tried to rifle a throw into the seam that was intercepted. His throw wasn't even close to being on target, so I don't know if that was on Lynch or his receiver, but I do know that the interception led to a touchdown drive that closed the Memphis lead to seven.

Athleticism: He is an absolutely outstanding athlete. Lynch plays with very good balance and body control, and has rare quick-twitch for a quarterback with his pocket-passing potential. When running, he shows a good understanding for making the most out of his carries before deciding to end it without taking a big shot. His combination of size and athleticism separates him from most every draft-eligible quarterback.

Mechanics: Lynch has a little bit of a windup, but it's not enough to allow defenders to close the throwing windows on him. From the pocket, he did a nice job of setting his feet and throwing with a balanced base. Lynch does a good job of keeping the ball tight to his body and near his chest when he's in the pocket. He made a good effort to square up to throw when he was on the move, but there is still room for improvement in that area.

Accuracy: I could try and nitpick about ball placement on a crossing route or how he sailed a boundary side throw that he made the wideout sky for, but the reality is that Lynch was more than accurate enough in the game. I'll need to see the tape to get a better idea of whether or not he was throwing receivers open on a couple of his snaps, but his accuracy was a plus in this one.

Poise: Pocket poise is clearly a strength for Lynch. He won't sit in the pocket unnecessarily, but when he left the pocket on Saturday, making a play with his arm was his primary concern before he would finish with a run. One of the more underrated elements of Lynch's game -- and I saw it tonight -- was his ability to set play fakes and disguise screens.

Arm strength: In my write-up of Lynch earlier this week, I commented that his arm strength looked inconsistent and that I wanted to see him put more velocity on his throws to the perimeter. I saw that from him against Houston. When he really commits to a throw and gets his lower body into the throw, he can rip it. I'm not going to tell you he has a cannon for a right arm, but it is more than good enough.

Extending plays: It was interesting listening to the NFL scouts in the press box because it was clear they hadn't seen much of Lynch up to this point. There were plenty of "oohs" and "ahs" about Lynch's quickness and overall running ability outside of the pocket. What was really impressive, however, is that Lynch was easily extending plays with his feet, but doing a nice job of balancing his scramble runs with his scramble passes.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...lynch-displays-qualities-of-a-top-qb-prospect

Bigdog

Reaction score
What is everybody thoughts on Wentz from N Dakota State. I heard he runs a NFL style offense and can change plays as he sees fit to what the defense is giving him. Depending on his injury, we could grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. Thoughts?

jwithrowcpd

Reaction score
I'm all for BPA in this draft. With that said,I've liked Wentz for awhile. If he is available in the 3rd, I'd be fine with taking him. We will probably have a high draft pick this year and I doubt that he will be a top 40 prospect on our board so I don't see us taking him in the 2nd unless we have no other options.

RomoFor6

Reaction score
What is everybody thoughts on Wentz from N Dakota State. I heard he runs a NFL style offense and can change plays as he sees fit to what the defense is giving him. Depending on his injury, we could grab him in the 2nd or 3rd. Thoughts?

I like Wentz aswell haven't seen him play but seem highlight. Seems to have a good arm and is very smart pre snap, two most important things for a QB. But level of competition is a big concern. It'd be a good pick to learn from Romo.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Cleveland will just ruin this guy.

I'm hoping Manziel continues to play well like he did last weekend so that it baits the Browns into not taking a QB in round 1. Only thing is the Niners, Texans, and Lions are all going to be picking ahead of us so it likely won't matter. The Saints, Eagles, and Rams might be picking ahead of us as well.

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Big fan of Wentz in the 2nd

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I'm hoping Manziel continues to play well like he did last weekend so that it baits the Browns into not taking a QB in round 1. Only thing is the Niners, Texans, and Lions are all going to be picking ahead of us so it likely won't matter. The Saints, Eagles, and Rams might be picking ahead of us as well.

Strong tier 2 year. Should be a rich class for 2nd round QB's. Those teams can pass in the first and get a Dalton or Carr type in the 2nd.

My hopefull thinking is the strength of the 2nd tier drops Goff to the lower part of the top 10. I can even see him out of the top 10 with Hackenberger passing him based on physical ability

jwithrowcpd

Reaction score
Strong tier 2 year. Should be a rich class for 2nd round QB's. Those teams can pass in the first and get a Dalton or Carr type in the 2nd.

My hopefull thinking is the strength of the 2nd tier drops Goff to the lower part of the top 10. I can even see him out of the top 10 with Hackenberger passing him based on physical ability

I'm not even convinced Hackenberg is going to declare this year yet since his draft stock has taken such a hit from this summer.

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsport...n-hackenberg-not-thinking-about-nfl-just-yet/

jwithrowcpd

Reaction score
Supporting cast and coaching are some of the issues with his struggles, but he also has to take some blame. Some of the balls he throws are downright terrible. There have been games this year where I wanted the backup to come in just to see if he could do anything because Hack sucked that bad. I think Hack would be best served to play another year at PSU or transfer to another school, like Russell Wilson did, for his final year of eligibility to improve his skill set and draft stock. I don't think he is ready to be an NFL QB right now and is probably 2-3 years away from being one. He is a 2nd rounder at best unless a team falls in love with his tangible skill set and throws all caution to the wind.

Leadbelly

Reaction score
Finally sat down to watch Lynch. Live arm. Kinda throws like a pitcher. Expected a lanky crazy legs guy but he's pretty well proportioned. Quick on his feet. Seems to think quick too. Definitely see a top 5 guy. I'm on board if we're in the vicinity.

Going out on a limb, I think Gunner Kiel is going to rise into Round 1 status if he keeps going like he is. He's been torching everyone since coming back from a late hit head injury. Maybe second QB after Lynch. Best touch and ball placement of any eligible QB prospects. Only guy I saw throw into very tight windows. Only guy I saw that actually goes through progressions. Reminds me of Carson Palmer. Junior eligible.

Wasn't impressed by Goff. Cal offense is all 8 yards and in. Basically just TE routes. WRs are usually coming back to the QB. Not good ball placement even on those. Rarely asked to hit guys moving away from him. Predetermined read by Off. Coord. Risky pick.

IAmLegend

Reaction score
Finally sat down to watch Lynch. Live arm. Kinda throws like a pitcher. Expected a lanky crazy legs guy but he's pretty well proportioned. Quick on his feet. Seems to think quick too. Definitely see a top 5 guy. I'm on board if we're in the vicinity.

Going out on a limb, I think Gunner Kiel is going to rise into Round 1 status if he keeps going like he is. He's been torching everyone since coming back from a late hit head injury. Maybe second QB after Lynch. Best touch and ball placement of any eligible QB prospects. Only guy I saw throw into very tight windows. Only guy I saw that actually goes through progressions. Reminds me of Carson Palmer. Junior eligible.

Wasn't impressed by Goff. Cal offense is all 8 yards and in. Basically just TE routes. WRs are usually coming back to the QB. Not good ball placement even on those. Rarely asked to hit guys moving away from him. Predetermined read by Off. Coord. Risky pick.

Gunner Kiel looks like hes about 40. Someone needs to check that man's birth certificate.

b70s9t.jpg

darthseinfeld

Groupthink Guru
Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan

Right nowI think Keil is a late first early 2nd type guy

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Recorded the Memphis/Houston game....and got to thinking who Lynch reminds me of...

Paxton+Lynch+Miami+Beach+Bowl+QccfrmGnDXbl.jpg
2002Summer_Bledsoe_sm.jpg
856804d8c634ed8330f6a44c3ff27eca.jpg

RS12

Reaction score
Recorded the Memphis/Houston game....and got to thinking who Lynch reminds me of...

Paxton+Lynch+Miami+Beach+Bowl+QccfrmGnDXbl.jpg
2002Summer_Bledsoe_sm.jpg
856804d8c634ed8330f6a44c3ff27eca.jpg

Not seeing what you are seeing. He is a better athlete than Bledsoe, and has a better arm than Hostetler. Go back and watch that 50 yd TD pass versus Tulsa, touch and accuracy. Guy has big time ability.