Zimmer good or bad coach

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
I think most of us are forgetting Zimmer was a rookie in the 34 this year just like most of the players on D. I think with him just like with the players he will be better calling the D next year and we will see it run to it's fullest. I don't see many teams playing as many rookies and lacking a true FS finishing in the top 10 in D their first year in that scheme. I don't think he did the best job but it could have been a lot worse, and I think it will be much better next year. I also doubt very seriously he will get a HC job with any team this year, nor do I think BP will release him.

That's my take I know it won't sit well with many on this board but oh well... I like Zimmer and think he's doing a good job. I don't see how any time a teams D finishes in the top 10 you can say the DC isn't doing a good job.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
jksmith269 said:
I think most of us are forgetting Zimmer was a rookie in the 34 this year just like most of the players on D. I think with him just like with the players he will be better calling the D next year and we will see it run to it's fullest. I don't see many teams playing as many rookies and lacking a true FS finishing in the top 10 in D their first year in that scheme. I don't think he did the best job but it could have been a lot worse, and I think it will be much better next year. I also doubt very seriously he will get a HC job with any team this year, nor do I think BP will release him.

That's my take I know it won't sit well with many on this board but oh well... I like Zimmer and think he's doing a good job. I don't see how any time a teams D finishes in the top 10 you can say the DC isn't doing a good job.

Not only he was new 3-4, apparently he was asked to coach Outside LBs, accourding to either Todd Archer of DMN or Matt Mosley, I forget how mentioned that. And that was totally new to Zimmer too.

If anyone needs to be blamed about that, it needs to be BP to put that on Zimmer, when he never did that before. Same thing with Tony Sporano, putting in charge of OL, which I don't believe he did it before in NFL at least. I could be wrong on that.

Anyway, I think Zimmer is good enough, better than most people on this board would like to admit. He is top 5 in NFL, I wouldn't say that. But he definetly among the better DC in NFL. I expect better things this up coming season than what we saw last season, because of experience for rookies and him in 3-4.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Good assistant but an OK dc. We need someone who already knows the 3-4 not one who is trying to learn it.

Vertigo_17

Reaction score
probably a middle of the road DC, maybe more on the "better" side of the road. I think he's pretty conservative and really don't think he'd be a good HC. Remember Camps was a pretty decent DC and we know how he turned out at HC.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
Vertigo_17 said:
probably a middle of the road DC, maybe more on the "better" side of the road. I think he's pretty conservative and really don't think he'd be a good HC. Remember Camps was a pretty decent DC and we know how he turned out at HC.

Camps was Decent DC,when his Defense was going according to plan. Anytime things went wrong, it always took him a long time to make adjustments. Campo was way overrated DC, people just forget, because he was such a bad HC. :D

By Nature, every DC is conservative. Thats why BP is conversative in OFfense mostly, unless he really has to open it up.

Hiero

Reaction score
he is decent i guess. doesnt fit our 3-4 anyways though.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
I think what we miss about Zimmer is that his D would look much better if the O did a good job - we lead the NFC in time of possession -- and that was all about the D getting 3 and outs. Some folks point to the late game collapses - but a better offensive team would never put its D in that situation.

And it isn't Zimmer's coaching ability that holds him back - it is his personality - he doesn't really possess the fire or presence that folks associate with a head coach. If Zimmer had the personality of someone like Herm Edwards, he would have been a head coach long ago.

BrassCowboy

Reaction score
Zimmer is ok, but if you want a defense to be aggressive, then he is below average. That was before the 3-4 and his lack of knowledge in it. His defenses are way too conservative, and lacks any inginuity.

IMHO if he does not go to be a HC somewhere, he should be fired. Sorry, but it is a business.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Well, the guy took basically crap and molded it into a #1 defense a while ago. Some will say it wasn't a "true" #1 defense. But is was good.

Say we give that same guy (Zimmer) 2 rock solid CB's, an awsome nickel CB, a great SS and fair FS. Add a solid run stuffer(Ferg), Glover, Ellis, and three monster rookie DE's and a host of good LB's and let him run his aggressive 4-3.

Where would we be now? Would we need to even ask this question?

sigh

AbeBeta

Reaction score
RW Hitman said:
Zimmer is ok, but if you want a defense to be aggressive, then he is below average. That was before the 3-4 and his lack of knowledge in it. His defenses are way too conservative, and lacks any inginuity.

IMHO if he does not go to be a HC somewhere, he should be fired. Sorry, but it is a business.

You have to play conservative when you can't count on the O to score points. An aggressive D is great when you have an offense that can hit back if your aggression gets you burned. A conservative defense is what you need when you have to play a slow-down, ball control game.

Kilyin

Reaction score
TheHustler said:
Despite what people think, bad coaches don't get interviews to be HCs.

Someone needs to tell Norv Turner that.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
Same thing with Tony Sporano, putting in charge of OL, which I don't believe he did it before in NFL at least. I could be wrong on that.

Sparano coached Oline for the Jags a few years back

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagermeister said:
Good assistant but an OK dc. We need someone who already knows the 3-4 not one who is trying to learn it.

I think by now, Zimmer knows the 3-4

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RW Hitman said:

look at the talent Zimmer has had on D before this year...

pretty shoddy

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
summerisfunner said:
Sparano coached Oline for the Jags a few years back

I thought he coached only TEs for them? Actually I think I am right about Jaguars but it appears he did coach OL for Browns for year. I guess then I was wrong about him never coaching OL.

jksmith269

Proud Navy Veteran 1990-1995
Reaction score
RW Hitman said:
Do you think that's his call or BP's?

Clove

Shrinkage
Reaction score
I think the Jury is still out on whether Zimm will be good at coaching this 3-4. I do have to give him credit on how he learned a totally new defense, and came out the block with a top 10 defense.

However, I'm a little concerned with Zimmer getting all the draft picks over the last several years, and still gets little pressure on the QB.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
RCowboyFan said:
I thought he coached only TEs for them? Actually I think I am right about Jaguars but it appears he did coach OL for Browns for year. I guess then I was wrong about him never coaching OL.

oops, you're right, it was the Browns who he coached Oline for, thanks for clarifying

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zimmer will be successful where ever he ends up......he works hard....and pretty smart guy per BP......I hope he stays!