Zimmer has to be next...

vtlee

Reaction score
I don't care who the free safety is, he's going to look bad without a pass rush. Our 3-4 defense looks different than every other 3-4 in the league. We don't bring pressure from all directions like Steelers, Patriots, etc. We don't force turnovers, we simply sit back and wait on the other team to make mistakes. Romo was the right move and Zimmer must be the next.

Teague31

Defender of the Star
Reaction score
totally agree. 5 years worth of high draft picks and big dollar FA's should equal much more than we are getting. A bend but don't break 3-4? Are you kidding me? Zimmer's entire blitz package consists of moving Ware and Ellis to DE and the occasional Roy up the middle that everyone sees coming from a mile away. Zimmer needs to go and a true 3-4 coach needs to take over.

TheNatureBoy

Benched
Reaction score
We're playing an outdated 1980's 3-4 - we're not playing the innovative 3-4 that Pitt uses or even the Jets for that matter. We're sitting base far too often - read - reacting and we're getting run over. Anyone who has played football can see this , we are not a PRO active Attacking defense. We are not using our talent to it's strengths, which are youth and speed.
Maybe - just maybe it's b/c our DC is not a proponent of the 3-4 and never coached it.

50cent

Reaction score
Where are these new packages that RW spoke about that are supposed to keep offense off balance?

CowboyManDan

Reaction score
I'm all for GROZ

In fact, ideas for new movements... :)
GROB for Bledsoe (practically done)
GROS for Sporano
GROTO for TO

50cent

Reaction score
GROZAHTDP - Get rid of Zimmer and his 3rd down package!!!!!!!!!!

50cent

Reaction score
windward;1118397 said:
I don't think Zimmer returns next year.
Damn next year. We have 10 more games to put up with him this year.

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
vtlee;1118323 said:
I don't care who the free safety is, he's going to look bad without a pass rush. Our 3-4 defense looks different than every other 3-4 in the league. We don't bring pressure from all directions like Steelers, Patriots, etc. We don't force turnovers, we simply sit back and wait on the other team to make mistakes. Romo was the right move and Zimmer must be the next.

Sounds just as mundane as the 4-3 Zimmer ran as well... This is the most unagressive, uninspiring, no pass rushing defense I've ever had the displeasure to watch...

Dallas hasn't been able to sack a freakin' lunch for ten years now... Up until Zimmer started running the D, it was an obvious lack of talent... We have the talent now, we're just running a defense with the parking brakes on... I hate it!:bang2:

billyrags

Reaction score
TheNatureBoy;1118359 said:
We're playing an outdated 1980's 3-4 - we're not playing the innovative 3-4 that Pitt uses or even the Jets for that matter. We're sitting base far too often - read - reacting and we're getting run over. Anyone who has played football can see this , we are not a PRO active Attacking defense. We are not using our talent to it's strengths, which are youth and speed.
Maybe - just maybe it's b/c our DC is not a proponent of the 3-4 and never coached it.

This is the answer right here! Although I'm not a huge fan of Zimmer, I think our style has more to do with what Parcells knows/is comfortable with than Zimmer (and I do like Parcells).

The 3-4 I was hoping for involves confusion, zone blitzing, line stunts/twists, line backers running free, QBs not having time to hit an open receiver 50 yards down field...

I don't know that he has flat out said it, but I think Parcells prefers a "me against you" defense and let the best man win.

Too bad for us all.

khiladi

Reaction score
Our defense has Bill Parcell's written all over it.... As you guys said, read-and -react... Zimmer is not a 3-4 guy... He never was...

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
It's been written many, many times that Parcells is the one who doesn't like to blitz a lot.

I don't care for Zimm either, but you can't blame him for doing what his boss wants done.

If you recall when Parcells first got here we had a fairly decent defense and we blitzed a lot and ran a lot of pressure/press man coverage packages.

Parcells didn't really like the scheme but we had been fairly successful with it, so he allowed it. Then, after wearing down late in his first couple of seasons, Parcells says we are doing it his way and we are what we are today.

BigWillie

Reaction score
How has the talent really changed any from last season, in terms to the defense?

Akin Ayodele, who has played average at best over the course of the early season?

Pat Watkins ... who has been in position to makes plays, but consistently makes mental errors?

Bobby Carpenter who hasn't seen the field yet, besides in ST situations?

The pass rush hasn't improved because we have no pass rushers. Canty, Spears and Ratliff are what they are. Simple run stuffers who generate little to no pressure.

Even Ware isn't a refined rusher. He still yet relies on a speed rush where he can get under and around slower OT's, or a bull rush where he can gain leverage on the OT. If either doesn't happen, he isn't getting to the QB because he has no go-to move to get off blocks to get a sack.

Greg Ellis is consistent ... but even yet, he's average at his pass rushing abilities.

The fact of it is, no one would say this based on the entire year. Losing breeds excuses, and everyone wants to point fingers. Sad thing is, it's getting pointed at the wrong guy year after year.

So what if he doesn't run the exciting blitz from everywhere scheme everyone is dying to see. As long as the defense is effective and consistently does it's job, what the heck is the big deal?

Year after year, Zimmer brings top 10 defenses, but every year we beat this same dead horse about blitz packages, blah blah blah.

When you field the 8th best defense in the league, and even being top 10 in takeaways, I don't see what their is to complain about.

Monday was an aberration. Arm tackling, poor angles and missed opportunities (i.e., Watkins missing the INT, Roy running into the ref, Bradie dropping the INT) hurt us tremdously. The defense was consistently put in poor situations based on miscues by the offense, and even by that idiot back judge.

Hell, Eli was 12-26 for less than 200 yards on Monday. Tiki was Tiki, but the guy is having a career year and doing that versus everyone, not only us.

But even with the poor tackling we showed on Monday versus Tiki, can you guess how many 20+ yard run plays we've allowed this year in 6 games?

Zero.

FIRE ZIMMER!

50cent

Reaction score
Big Willie, can you say comfortably who we have as a playmaker on defense? That one guy that is going to step up every game and you feel solid about him making a game changing play. If so, please name him. And if you can't, please inform me who is responsible to put him in position to make plays week in and week out.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
BigWillie;1118564 said:
But even with the poor tackling we showed on Monday versus Tiki, can you guess how many 20+ yard run plays we've allowed this year in 6 games?

Zero.

FIRE ZIMMER!

I'm happy we aren't giving up 20+ yard runs, but those 7+ yard runs they were getting on us all night long were killing us, not to mention a 17 yarder on 3rd and 16 when we knew they would run to eat up the clock at the end of the half. The fact is, they didn't need the big, 20+ yard gainers.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
BigWillie;1118564 said:
Year after year, Zimmer brings top 10 defenses, but every year we beat this same dead horse about blitz packages, blah blah blah.
We apply no pressure. That creates turnovers which helps the offense. To say your team has a top 10 D is nice and all. But the reality is we are considered soft.

BigWillie

Reaction score
50cent;1118572 said:
Big Willie, can you say comfortably who we have as a playmaker on defense? That one guy that is going to step up every game and you feel solid about him making a game changing play. If so, please name him. And if you can't, please inform me who is responsible to put him in position to make plays week in and week out.

Honestly, we have no one who consistently can make plays.

Ware can be overmatched at times, simply because he relies to much on sheer athleticism and strength to get him by. That doesn't work so much in this league.

Roy Williams is on again - off again. Against the Texans, you saw the big play Roy who was unleashing hit, after hit, after hit. On Monday, you saw the Roy who was getting ate up when he played in the box, taking poor angles to the ball carrier and missing tackles when he was in position.

Newman is effective, but only when he is throw at. More times than not, the ball isn't coming his way.

Our defense is full of capable players, but none of whom are cut out of that Ray Lewis, Brian Urlacher, Julius Peppers, Troy Polamalu mold. Our defense is what it is, a solid defense who week after week puts our offense in position to win games. It isn't the sexy defense like that Dick LeBeau or Bill Belicheck throws out there, but as long as it's effective, is it such a bad thing? Defenses aren't measured in how much pressure they makes, or how many turnovers they cause.

CaptainAmerica, as I said, it's an abberation. One game isn't indicative of an entire season. Tiki is being Tiki this year, the same as Larry Johnson was last year when he faced us. When players are having years like those, they will get theirs regardless of any defense you throw at them.

As for the yards, like I said, poor tackling and bad angles. Things happen, and it was just one of those days. You can't sit down during game week and teach these boys fundamentals of wrapping up, because this isn't high school.

The rush defense has been fine this year, look at these stats ...

4th in rush defense (81.7 yards per game)
3rd in yards per carry (3.2 yards per carry)

Like I said, Tiki was just being Tiki. That along with how poor we were in pursuit and tackling made it look worse than it really was.

BigWillie

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;1118591 said:
We apply no pressure. That creates turnovers which helps the offense. To say your team has a top 10 D is nice and all. But the reality is we are considered soft.

If a soft defense is in the top 10 in the entire NFL in takeaways (you do know a takeaway means INT and fumbles, correct?), while being ranked 8th overall in total defense, I'll take a soft defense.

But heck, as I said, on Monday it was just a game of missed opportunities by us defensively. The Watkins INT that went through his hands, Bradie dropping the gift-wrapped INT, Canty getting held on what was a forced fumbled, even though it was overturned, and even Roy running into that idiot back judge on what could've been a INT or big hit.

Things happen, but we were in position plenty of times to make plays, we just didn't capitalize.