Zimmer to Bengals to coach their 3-4?

Boysboy

Reaction score
Former Falcons DC Mike Zimmer is considered the favorite to replace Chuck Bresnahan as the Bengals' defensive coordinator.
An announcement isn't expected this weekend, but Zimmer could be introduced by as early as Monday. Zimmer knows both the 3-4 and the 4-3. The Bengals are considering a switch to the former scheme in 2008. Jan. 11 - 8:18 pm et

:bang2: :laugh1:

parchy

Reaction score
Subpar D-coordinator + crappy defense = happy rest of the AFC North.

I wonder if the 'Nati fans know what they're in for. Their tired refrains of "it can't get any worse than this" are about to be proven fatefully incorrect unless they're in for a major change in personnel.

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
:D I thought he'd be running from the 3-4, especially since it seemed like Parcells was gonna end up in Atlanta. Didn't know he was into S&M... :D

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Boysboy;1893417 said:
Former Falcons DC Mike Zimmer is considered the favorite to replace Chuck Bresnahan as the Bengals' defensive coordinator.
An announcement isn't expected this weekend, but Zimmer could be introduced by as early as Monday. Zimmer knows both the 3-4 and the 4-3. The Bengals are considering a switch to the former scheme in 2008. Jan. 11 - 8:18 pm et

:bang2: :laugh1:

I see the Bengals with 3 wins next year, this is going to be brutal watching them try to run Zimmy's 2-gap 3-4.

:laugh2:

STAR GAZER

Benched
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1893514 said:
I see the Bengals with 3 wins next year, this is going to be brutal watching them try to run Zimmy's 2-gap 3-4.

Especially if they are without ocho cinco.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Well the offense should put up good numbers because the defense will be toast. :laugh2:

Gangsta Spanksta

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1893514 said:

We need to make a trade with them to get their number one draft pick :D

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
Gangsta Spanksta;1893677 said:
We need to make a trade with them to get their number one draft pick :D

With our luck, we trade for their #1 and they go undefeated next year.:(

burmafrd

Reaction score
Zimmer coaching a 3-4 AGAIN? MORE likely if he goes there they revert to the 4-3.

Beast_from_East

Reaction score
burmafrd;1893921 said:
Zimmer coaching a 3-4 AGAIN? MORE likely if he goes there they revert to the 4-3.

As far as I know, the Bengals have never run a 3-4 defense. So I dont think it is a question of reverting back to the 4-3 since that is what they have been running.

If Zimmer goes there, it will be to change the D to 3-4 for the first time in their history (or as long as I can remember).

Romo2Dez4six

Touchdown!!!!
Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1893930 said:
As far as I know, the Bengals have never run a 3-4 defense. So I dont think it is a question of reverting back to the 4-3 since that is what they have been running.

If Zimmer goes there, it will be to change the D to 3-4 for the first time in their history (or as long as I can remember).

with marvin lewis being a def coach i dont see that changing

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
Friend of mine is a Cincy fan and he's been saying that Lewis has been talking about going to a 3-4 for awhile.

Zimmer had one good year in Dallas, 2003, where the defense still faltered in the second half (as it did every season under Zimmer). For a guy that complained up and down about having to go to the 3-4, he certainly doesn't have a problem now.

YAKUZA

Boysboy

Reaction score
Beast_from_East;1893930 said:

Last year, their LBs were nothing but a bunch of scrubs and rejects, half of whom they were picking up DURING the season.

As far as we know, LBs are a HUGE key in a 3-4.

cml750

Reaction score
Zimmer - BP is much better than Zimmer + BP. Big Bill made all the offensive and defensive calls the last few years.