Zimmer to join Shanahan?

Chief

"Friggin Joke Monkey"
Reaction score
For what it's worth, that website -- footballcoachscoop.com -- is reporting that Mike Zimmer will be part of Mike Shanahan's staff at Washington.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
I do not like that ...... Zimmer is a great DC ...... no matter the opinion of this board.

jgboys1

Reaction score
zrinkill;3179170 said:
I do not like that ...... Zimmer is a great DC ...... no matter the opinion of this board.
I agree. I liked Zimmer. I was sorry to see him go.

SaltwaterServr

Blank Paper Offends Me
Reaction score
A website is reporting a coaching move that openly violates league rules?

Must be true then.

Yeagermeister

Reaction score
Unless his contract is up or he's going to be named an assistant HC he's not going anywhere. I don't see Shanahan making him an AHC. He'll reserve that for his son.

The Emperor

Marcus Aurelius Maximus
Reaction score
jgboys1;3179249 said:
I agree. I liked Zimmer. I was sorry to see him go.

Me too. It's not his fault he sucked at coaching a defense he didn't coach at all during his 10 or so years with the Cowboys.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Yeagermeister;3181296 said:
Unless his contract is up or he's going to be named an assistant HC he's not going anywhere. I don't see Shanahan making him an AHC. He'll reserve that for his son.

wouldnt matter if he did...the league got rid of that loophole a couple of years ago

the only way Zimmer could go to DC is if 1) his contract in Cinci is up or 2) he gets fired

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Its pretty much a done deal Zimmer will be in DC

He came on board in Dallas as DC in 2003 correct and left in 2006?

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
Good news IMO. Campo knows Zimmer inside and out. Not to mention it means that the Skins will not be able to disguise a blitz to save their lives and will suck at man to man/press coverage.

I can't wait.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
BAT;3183449 said:
Good news IMO. Campo knows Zimmer inside and out. Not to mention it means that the Skins will not be able to disguise a blitz to save their lives and will suck at man to man/press coverage.

I can't wait.

So coaches don't evolve and change at all?

Looks like zimmer has done some good things in Cinci

BAT

Mr. Fixit
Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3183483 said:

*rubs hands* we'll see won't we? :D

Idgit

Fattening up
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

There's an irrational hatred of Zimmer on this board that you may or may not be aware of depending how long you've been posting here. Think Jason-Garrett-hate on steroids and with about the same substantiation.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Idgit;3183702 said:
There's an irrational hatred of Zimmer on this board that you may or may not be aware of depending how long you've been posting here. Think Jason-Garrett-hate on steroids and with about the same substantiation.

I remember the GROZ

I also remember the D switching from a 4-3 in 2003 (when your D was pretty good and fast) to a 3-4 by 2005. There were some bumps in that transition period

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

They do, but it's pretty rare. Skins fans would never give Wade any credit, although his track record as an HC was pretty good to begin with. The 2 biggest changes in coaching 'evolvement' is probably Belichick and Norv. Although I cannot help question all of Belichick's achievements in NE as he cheated on both sides of the ball. Plus, he got the luckiest break ever in Brady and then two more lucky breaks in Welker and Moss. And since the cheating scandal was exposed, his defenses have become noticeably worse. Remember, the Pats claimed that they never took opposing team's offensive signals which probably coincided with the fact that Charlie Weiss was no longer in NE while Belichick, the defensive 'guru' was still mostly in charge of the defense. When it was found out that they did take offensive signals as well and just by coincidence their defense has never been the same since.

Norv had the fortune of taking over a team that went 14-2 the year before and had a future All Pro QB that had yet to reach his prime. Since then the defense took a noticeable turn for the worse until Ron Rivera was hired (a guy who directed fantastic Chicago defenses that have never been the same since he left) and he has gotten the defense to perform at an average level.

All I can say is that I would be happy to see Zimmer become the Washington D-Coordinator. He runs almost exactly the same scheme as Blache, but is much more stop the run oriented. I believe that being able to sack the QB is extremely important in the NFL. And if Dallas' divisional rivals become less productive at sacking the QB, I think that's just better for the Cowboys. Look at Zimmer's sacks per season, it's not good.

YAKUZA

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score
SkinsHokieFan;3184002 said:
I remember the GROZ

I also remember the D switching from a 4-3 in 2003 (when your D was pretty good and fast) to a 3-4 by 2005. There were some bumps in that transition period

The defense had always been a 4-3 scheme until 2005. That's right, since its inception, the Cowboys played a 4-3 scheme until 2005 as Landry invented the 4-3 scheme.

Dallas' defense in 2004 was horrid and still ran a 4-3 scheme with 4-3 personnel. While Parcells was always a 3-4 scheme guy, we changed to the 3-4 because the 2004 defense was so bad and Jerry was sick and tired of not getting sacks on the QB. When we did that, the sacks improved slightly, but Zimmer's defenses continued to struggle down the stretch, particularly with sacking the QB (and Cincy's defense is struggling to sack the QB down the stretch this year).

We didn't bring Zimmer back because in 2006 he couldn't figure out how to get the defense to cover tailbacks and fullbacks and had his playcalling taken away from him for a game.

In one season under Wade, Dallas went from being a team that struggled for 7 seasons to sack the QB to a team that was 3rd in sacks. Then in 2008 they led the league in sacks.

When Zimmer came to Atlanta he had an interview on local Atlanta sports radio and when asked about his defensive philosophy he said to the effect that 'if you want to improve your defense statistically you stop the pass because if you can allow an offense to throw for 200 yards instead of 300 yards, that will make you look better statistically. But I want my defenses, first and foremost, to stop the run.'

I just think that getting somebody like Zimmer is a good thing for the Cowboys because the Skins will undoubtedly sack the QB less and a guy like Orakpo will be less effective. And I think it would be typical of the Skins to hire Zimmer and get rid of Blache because they don't like Blache's scheme when Zimmer runs pretty much the same scheme.

YAKUZA