Zolak?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Heard today he's talking to Parcells - can't be to play football?

Zolak hoping he's up to task of backup QB
HEMPSTEAD: After a disappointing performance by Ray Lucas, Tuna's troops are hoping the ex-Patriot can provide a lift vs. the Eagles.
The Associated Press

The Jets have a quarterback controversy, after all.
Though starter Vinny Testaverde solidified his position with a superb exhibition debut Saturday night at Green Bay, the battle for the backup slot intensified when Ray Lucas had a poor second half against the Packers.
"You're looking for consistency, as best as you can get it," coach Bill Parcells said yesterday.
That search continues Friday when Scott Zolak, considered the front-runner for the No. 2 slot, receives most of the snaps in the Jets' home exhibition opener against the Philadelphia Eagles. Lucas, a former special teams ace converted to full-time quarterback last season, likely won't see any action against Philadelphia.
"I could have put Zolak in the other night, and that might have changed the game, but I kind of made a commitment to take an extended look at Ray and give him a chance," Parcells said. "Now, I'm going to do the same thing with Scott."
Zolak, 32, said he welcomes the opportunity.
"I've been in this position before," said Zolak, who played for Parcells at New England from 1993-96 when he served as a backup to Drew Bledsoe. "You just go with what the guy says and let the chips fall."
In Saturday's 27-16 loss to the Packers, Lucas was 14-of-32 for 143 yards in almost three quarters after following Testaverde, who was 11-of-13 for 147 yards and a TD.
Lucas, who was sacked four times, drove the team to two field goals in nine possessions. He led the Jets with 42 yards on five rushes, usually after being chased from the pocket.
"I didn't do what I needed to do," Lucas said. "You never know when you're going to get another chance. Zolak's going to play all next game, and Vinny's got to play the third and fourth weeks to get ready. I don't think I went out there and showed Parcells that I could drop back there and throw the ball."
That task now falls to Zolak, a nine-year veteran who doesn't have the speed and agility of Lucas, but has a strong arm and knowledge of Parcells' game plan. The former fourth-round pick by the Patriots, signed by the Jets to a one-year, $400,000 deal during the offseason, has been a career backup, with seven starts in 53 games. A season ago, he was 1-2 as a starter in place of the injured Bledsoe.
"Now I'm with a new team," said Zolak, who has thrown for 1,314 yards and eight touchdowns during his career, completing 50.8 percent of his passes. "It's just tough getting in with a new team. It's like you're starting all over again, like you're a rookie, even though it's my ninth year. Everybody has to get comfortable with you, that's the big thing."
During the offseason, Parcells also gave a four-year, $6.1 million contract to former Patriots punter Tom Tupa, who can also play quarterback. Parcells, however, insists Tupa will only be asked to kick, and is not part of the scramble for a backup role.
"I don't know what's going to happen," Parcells said. "As I told you before, I don't know who the No. 2 quarterback is. I don't know if I have one."

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Yeagh - He's what 5 years younger than VT when BP signed him. Speedial - ?????

He has talked to Zolak thats confirmed at two levels - On the air personally and within the league whispers.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Post a link for this article please. I want to see the date on it.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Nors said:
Zolak was 32 when this article was written... Which was 1999 at the latest.

And as for the "league whispers"....

Aw, nevermind.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Post a link for this article please. I want to see the date on it.
Damn talk about deja vu, sounds like summer '99 in NY all over again. :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:

He has talked to Zolak thats confirmed at two levels - On the air personally and within the league whispers.

yeah Nors....a guy who hasnt suited up in this decade is the "answer" to our backup prob

what on the air? what league "whispers"...are these more of the same sources where your Ty Law, Scott Pioli and Greg Ellis gems came from?

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
He's around 37/38

local radio sportstalk morning guy in RI - Made some interested comments about Parcells and a recent phone call. No links.

Recant the Montana Parcells quote.......

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab said:
Zolak was 32 when this article was written... Which was 1999 at the latest.

And as for the "league whispers"....

Aw, nevermind.
Isn't Scott doing TV in Boston...NE Sports report?

BigDFan5

Cowboys Make me Drink
Reaction score
Nors said:
Heard today he's talking to Parcells - can't be to play football?

Zolak hoping he's up to task of backup QB
HEMPSTEAD: After a disappointing performance by Ray Lucas, Tuna's troops are hoping the ex-Patriot can provide a lift vs. the Eagles.
The Associated Press

The Jets have a quarterback controversy, after all.
Though starter Vinny Testaverde solidified his position with a superb exhibition debut Saturday night at Green Bay, the battle for the backup slot intensified when Ray Lucas had a poor second half against the Packers.
"You're looking for consistency, as best as you can get it," coach Bill Parcells said yesterday.
That search continues Friday when Scott Zolak, considered the front-runner for the No. 2 slot, receives most of the snaps in the Jets' home exhibition opener against the Philadelphia Eagles. Lucas, a former special teams ace converted to full-time quarterback last season, likely won't see any action against Philadelphia.
"I could have put Zolak in the other night, and that might have changed the game, but I kind of made a commitment to take an extended look at Ray and give him a chance," Parcells said. "Now, I'm going to do the same thing with Scott."
Zolak, 32, said he welcomes the opportunity.
"I've been in this position before," said Zolak, who played for Parcells at New England from 1993-96 when he served as a backup to Drew Bledsoe. "You just go with what the guy says and let the chips fall."
In Saturday's 27-16 loss to the Packers, Lucas was 14-of-32 for 143 yards in almost three quarters after following Testaverde, who was 11-of-13 for 147 yards and a TD.
Lucas, who was sacked four times, drove the team to two field goals in nine possessions. He led the Jets with 42 yards on five rushes, usually after being chased from the pocket.
"I didn't do what I needed to do," Lucas said. "You never know when you're going to get another chance. Zolak's going to play all next game, and Vinny's got to play the third and fourth weeks to get ready. I don't think I went out there and showed Parcells that I could drop back there and throw the ball."
That task now falls to Zolak, a nine-year veteran who doesn't have the speed and agility of Lucas, but has a strong arm and knowledge of Parcells' game plan. The former fourth-round pick by the Patriots, signed by the Jets to a one-year, $400,000 deal during the offseason, has been a career backup, with seven starts in 53 games. A season ago, he was 1-2 as a starter in place of the injured Bledsoe.
"Now I'm with a new team," said Zolak, who has thrown for 1,314 yards and eight touchdowns during his career, completing 50.8 percent of his passes. "It's just tough getting in with a new team. It's like you're starting all over again, like you're a rookie, even though it's my ninth year. Everybody has to get comfortable with you, that's the big thing."
During the offseason, Parcells also gave a four-year, $6.1 million contract to former Patriots punter Tom Tupa, who can also play quarterback. Parcells, however, insists Tupa will only be asked to kick, and is not part of the scramble for a backup role.
"I don't know what's going to happen," Parcells said. "As I told you before, I don't know who the No. 2 quarterback is. I don't know if I have one."

So you think we should cut romo for Zolack?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Law was on the block at the time

So was Ellis in offseason

Zolak - agree far fetched. But VT at 41 our Backup happened.....

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:
He's around 37/38

local radio sportstalk morning guy in RI - Made some interested comments about Parcells and a recent phone call. No links.

Recant the Montana Parcells quote.......
Oh yeah, he's on the SCORE, isn't he?

I never listen to it anymore...is he any good?

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Isn't Scott doing TV in Boston...NE Sports report?

Yes - I believe.

But he has been doing 790 the score sportstalk AM for a year now too.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Nors said:

FAR FETCHED?

Next thing, you'll be suggesting Grogan.

Plunkett.

Babe Parilli.

A long as it's an ex-Pat. :rolleyes:

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Law was on the block at the time

So was Ellis in offseason

and after over a year of this garbage, you still cant produce one shred of evidence to support any of this

David