Zone blocking vs Man blocking

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
newlander;4244514 said:
against mediocre Dlines like Seattle, St. Louis and Buffalo....however when we start playing good divisional dlines again in Philly(yeah, they ate our lunch a couple weeks ago) and the Giants...and even the skins...what will happen then? We shall see. I'm hopful but some skepticism still exists.:cool:

Seattle has a pretty good run D and they couldn't stop it.

Either way it's progress because it's the best scheme for our players. It's just disapointing it took Garrett so long to make it a staple.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;4245325 said:
Seattle has a pretty good run D and they couldn't stop it.

Either way it's progress because it's the best scheme for our players. It's just disapointing it took Garrett so long to make it a staple.

You need the guys to run it, I don't think Gurode, Davis and Colombo where going to be able to successfully run a zone blocking scheme. This Oline has been together as a unit a short time and with no off season.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4245398 said:
You need the guys to run it, I don't think Gurode, Davis and Colombo where going to be able to successfully run a zone blocking scheme. This Oline has been together as a unit a short time and with no off season.

I wasn't really talking about those guys. If we had those guys I wouldn't run a zone blocking scheme.

With the players we have it seemed like a no brainer to me.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;4245407 said:
I wasn't really talking about those guys. If we had those guys I wouldn't run a zone blocking scheme.

With the players we have it seemed like a no brainer to me.

And it is not easy, like most things it takes time. Outside of Kosier and Free these other guys have not worked with each other for any lenght of time so everything they are being asked to do is happening on the fly. It may have been much easier had we had a training camp but these are the cards we are dealt

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;4245413 said:
And it is not easy, like most things it takes time. Outside of Kosier and Free these other guys have not worked with each other for any lenght of time so everything they are being asked to do is happening on the fly. It may have been much easier had we had a training camp but these are the cards we are dealt

Eh I don't think it would take that much time for them to switch.

There really isn't a lot of different ways to run the scheme. I'd bet most of these players were in a zone scheme at one point too.

The guy who you would think would struggle the most is Holland and he played in Shannahans scheme in Denver.

It's obvious all of Murray's years in a zone scheme are benefiting him as well.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;4245428 said:
Eh I don't think it would take that much time for them to switch.

There really isn't a lot of different ways to run the scheme. I'd bet most of these players were in a zone scheme at one point too.

The guy who you would think would struggle the most is Holland and he played in Shannahans scheme in Denver.

It's obvious all of Murray's years in a zone scheme are benefiting him as well.

I think it takes more time than you think when build a cohesive unit. I do agree that Murray is a big help in how he is able to find the hole and make the quick cut back. I think that what makes it work great is having 5 guys working in unison

dwmyers

Reaction score
The phrase "zone blocking" is a bit of a misnomer, since area/zone/do-dad blocking was in use in the 1960s. These days it tends to refer to the zone running schemes of people like Alex Gibbs, a kind of smart "student body left" and "student body right" blocking scheme.

Brymatt94 has a nice explanation of how "modern" zone blocking works.

And yes, Garrett is using a lot more zone runs.