Zone Blocking vs Man Blocking

playit12

Reaction score
So as it's the dog days and news is a little slow I thought I'd take a shot at learning a few things from our boards football minds.

I read over at that other Board that shall not be named, that the skins will be using some Zone blocking in addition to man blocking this year. As we'll be facing them (Along with Denver this year) I want to make sure I understand the concept a little better along with the defensive adjustments to counter it.

As a very general overview here is a short definition of both... Feel free to correct.

Man Blocking: Each linemen is given an assignment. That might be to turn the Defensive Tackle away from the play or to penetrate the defensive line and block the MLB. They might also have multiple assignments such as chiping the Defensive End then helping on a double team against the Defensive Tackle. The general idea is to account for each defender before the play that will be in a position to make a tackle.

Zone Blocking: Here linemen are given lanes. Linemen work in concert to control the flow of the defensive line. Denver often uses this technique to create quick lateral movement across the entire defensive line. Because each player is moving at different speeds as they are being blocked, holes will be created, though where is not really known until the play developes. This scheme also relies on cut blocks to stop the chasing defender (The defender on the side away from the movement of the line or play)

The Good and the Bad.

Man Blocking: This is good for larger and slower offensive linemen. Linemen know their assignments in detail before the play and often will simply be attacking the linemen in front of them. It can also allow linemen to freely attack the line backers. It has the added bonus of easily allowing the offense to double team better players. On the negative side, defensive switches and line adjustments can confuse the assignments. Further, Offensive linemen can be taken out of the play by moving thier blocking assignment out of position. Overloading one side or the other can result in a blown play. Teams can pull defenders off the line requiring the slower offensive linemen (LA for instance) to chase smaller quicker defenders.

Zone Blocking: This is good for smaller quicker linemen. Linemen have area assignments and the strategy is dependent on good cooperation. Holes are always created, and the running back is not limited to single running lanes. It's easier to hide bad offensive linemen in this scheme. The Negatives would be difficulties in short yardage situations and the need for excellent line coordination. It's also harder to double team better players. This scheme does however match up well to any kind of defensive formation (3-4 or 4-3) but does not get good penetration.

Zone blocking teams often have bad power success numbers (ability to get short yardage gains) but have good average yards from line numbers.

So here are the questions...

Do you think the skins will have any success with zone blocking?
How do you think we should attack the zone blocking schemes?
Which scheme is better (Zone or Man)?
And where was a I just completely wrong above in my general overview.

Tio

Armchair QB
Reaction score
if they plan on doing both, it won't happen. They would either have to committ to zone or man to be successful.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
playit12 said:
So as it's the dog days and news is a little slow I thought I'd take a shot at learning a few things from our boards football minds.

I read over at that other Board that shall not be named, that the skins will be using some Zone blocking in addition to man blocking this year. As we'll be facing them (Along with Denver this year) I want to make sure I understand the concept a little better along with the defensive adjustments to counter it.

As a very general overview here is a short definition of both... Feel free to correct.

Man Blocking: Each linemen is given an assignment. That might be to turn the Defensive Tackle away from the play or to penetrate the defensive line and block the MLB. They might also have multiple assignments such as chiping the Defensive End then helping on a double team against the Defensive Tackle. The general idea is to account for each defender before the play that will be in a position to make a tackle.

Zone Blocking: Here linemen are given lanes. Linemen work in concert to control the flow of the defensive line. Denver often uses this technique to create quick lateral movement across the entire defensive line. Because each player is moving at different speeds as they are being blocked, holes will be created, though where is not really known until the play developes. This scheme also relies on cut blocks to stop the chasing defender (The defender on the side away from the movement of the line or play)

The Good and the Bad.

Man Blocking: This is good for larger and slower offensive linemen. Linemen know their assignments in detail before the play and often will simply be attacking the linemen in front of them. It can also allow linemen to freely attack the line backers. It has the added bonus of easily allowing the offense to double team better players. On the negative side, defensive switches and line adjustments can confuse the assignments. Further, Offensive linemen can be taken out of the play by moving thier blocking assignment out of position. Overloading one side or the other can result in a blown play. Teams can pull defenders off the line requiring the slower offensive linemen (LA for instance) to chase smaller quicker defenders.

Zone Blocking: This is good for smaller quicker linemen. Linemen have area assignments and the strategy is dependent on good cooperation. Holes are always created, and the running back is not limited to single running lanes. It's easier to hide bad offensive linemen in this scheme. The Negatives would be difficulties in short yardage situations and the need for excellent line coordination. It's also harder to double team better players. This scheme does however match up well to any kind of defensive formation (3-4 or 4-3) but does not get good penetration.

Zone blocking teams often have bad power success numbers (ability to get short yardage gains) but have good average yards from line numbers.

So here are the questions...

How do you think we should attack the zone blocking schemes?
And where was a I just completely wrong above in my general overview.
If the Skins have strength anywhere, I believe it is along the O-line and at RB. Yes, a Zone Blocking scheme can help them and be a strength.

No scheme is better. It's just a matter of how you play it. A weak link can ruin any scheme.

Your description is pretty close to dead on.

Best way to attack the Zone Blocking scheme is to do what the Cowboys have been saying is the reason why they are switching to the 3-4. Attack from different angles each play. If the Zone scheme calls for a sweep right and the attack comes from the right side of the D, then there is a chance the runner or QB can be pulled down from behind by a fast defender.

You put 5 bulldozers in front of a QB or RB and it won't matter what scheme they run. They're going to pound a defense into mush eventually.

Mix up blitzes and attack angles and even the best O-line can be neutralized a bit to disrupt momentum. That's why football is such an awesome game. There is no way to ultimate success with any scheme, any play, or any player. Every single attack can be countered on both sides of the ball. It's beautiful.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Great..here come the cut blocks.

Maybe it's 'unfair' but zone blocking has always been associated with cut blocking, both the legal and illegal types.

The infamous Denver line in particular, and specifically the coach ALEX Gibbs coaches this technique. Where is that Gibbs now, anyway?

PS. This is a good move for Portis as he's already getting sulky. He can go back to what he did in Denver...locate the hole and scoot.

PPS I don't know if our line has, as a unit, that is the lateral move agility to consistently and effectively zone block. But I'd love to see JJ, who has, imho, better instincts than Portis, run behind zone blocking.

lspain1

Reaction score
I think zone blocking permits the runner to select holes as they open, particularly to "cut back" against the grain into an opening. It helps to have an RB with patience and some smarts to make the zone scheme work well. Did the Cowboys use this scheme when Emmitt was doing so well?

playit12

Reaction score
lspain1 said:
I think zone blocking permits the runner to select holes as they open, particularly to "cut back" against the grain into an opening. It helps to have an RB with patience and some smarts to make the zone scheme work well. Did the Cowboys use this scheme when Emmitt was doing so well?

To the best of my knoledge we've never used Zone blocking. We've always had a much bigger stronger line and thus used man blocking to compensate for a lack of speed. Of course when each of your front 5 can eat up a defender by themselves who needs speed.

playit12

Reaction score
Hostile said:
If the Skins have strength anywhere, I believe it is along the O-line and at RB. Yes, a Zone Blocking scheme can help them and be a strength.

I thought that was a strength for them too but I can't decide if I think they are well suited for Zone or for Man. I know Dockery is a little on the slow side and Jansen seems a little immobile. Also Samuels is your prototype big slow tackle. It seems they are more setup for Man unless I'm miscasting some of these guys.

Maybe this is just smoke to make Portis happy.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
playit12 said:
I thought that was a strength for them too but I can't decide if I think they are well suited for Zone or for Man. I know Dockery is a little on the slow side and Jansen seems a little immobile. Also Samuels is your prototype big slow tackle. It seems they are more setup for Man unless I'm miscasting some of these guys.

Maybe this is just smoke to make Portis happy.

Suitable or not, Mr. (Alex) Gibbs coaches his line to go for the back of defender's legs.

Cut blocks are part and parcel of this scheme, it's how the multi holes the back is supposed to sniff out are created. You hit your man below the knees.
Far as I know, the three yard 'tackle to tackle' legality zone still applies.

Of course, so long as the lineman doesn't hit from behind (hard to prove even with cameras) or roll up on the guys legs, it's kosher.

That's how these folks will be fixing to counter our fast kids..the Wares, Cantys, et al.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Where is that Gibbs now, anyway?

I think he's in Atlanta as the OL coach there. At least that's the last place I heard he was.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Primarily a man to man scheme. We tried Zone schemes for a time but it didn't work. We did not have the personel suited to that scheme. Personally, I believe that man on man blocking requires more talent then zone blocking schemes. It's harder to find the talent to use man on man schemes but, I beleive they are more effective if the right personel are in place.

Of course, Denver may say different. They have been succesful for a long time employing zone block techniques. I believe that cut blocking will continue to be limited. Just too many injuries. As time goes on, I think it will seriously limite a zone blocking scheme. It is relied upon so heavily. Eventually, it will go the way of tackling in the NFL and we will see a modern game reliant on the use of flags attached to belts, secured by velcro. Eventually, this will become part of the standard uniform. I imagine you will also see the use of instant replay augmented by flag sensors that will be attached to the actual belts. It will indicate at what point the flag has been yanked free. This sensor will then send this information, through a series of relayes, down to the black box. The black box will then coordinate the visual signal and the electroic signal sent from the flag becon to precisely indicate exactly when and at what point on the field an offensive player was tackled. This will be indicated on telecasts by a red flashing screen. It will revolutionize the game. You will be amazed.

~ABQ hits quick reply key, turns off ThinkPad, shuts off lights and walks away shaking head. All the while mumbling to himself, "Bradshaw was right. They all play in dresses."~

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I think he's in Atlanta as the OL coach there. At least that's the last place I heard he was.
I think you're right...I think I recall Mora admitting cut blocking was coming, but that's the nature of the game today.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
I think you're right...I think I recall Mora admitting cut blocking was coming, but that's the nature of the game today.
He was their OL coach last year, but I think he retired again and is now just working with them on a consulting basis now.

I can verify that, but I do believe that's his status now.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:
He was their OL coach last year, but I think he retired again and is now just working with them on a consulting basis now.

Thanks WG. He and his predecessor Joe Pendry at Denver were two coaches I really hated. I just don't want to find out he is yet another "offensive consultant" in DC. LOL

playit12

Reaction score
Woody'sGirl said:

I believe that is what I heard too... consider that verified! :rolleyes:

playit12

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Primarily a man to man scheme. We tried Zone schemes for a time but it didn't work. We did not have the personel suited to that scheme. Personally, I believe that man on man blocking requires more talent then zone blocking schemes. It's harder to find the talent to use man on man schemes but, I beleive they are more effective if the right personel are in place.

Of course, Denver may say different. They have been succesful for a long time employing zone block techniques. I believe that cut blocking will continue to be limited. Just too many injuries. As time goes on, I think it will seriously limite a zone blocking scheme. It is relied upon so heavily. Eventually, it will go the way of tackling in the NFL and we will see a modern game reliant on the use of flags attached to belts, secured by velcro. Eventually, this will become part of the standard uniform. I imagine you will also see the use of instant replay augmented by flag sensors that will be attached to the actual belts. It will indicate at what point the flag has been yanked free. This sensor will then send this information, through a series of relayes, down to the black box. The black box will then coordinate the visual signal and the electroic signal sent from the flag becon to precisely indicate exactly when and at what point on the field an offensive player was tackled. This will be indicated on telecasts by a red flashing screen. It will revolutionize the game. You will be amazed.

~ABQ hits quick reply key, turns off ThinkPad, shuts off lights and walks away shaking head. All the while mumbling to himself, "Bradshaw was right. They all play in dresses."~

Oh that's funny... and sadly so true.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

This does not surprise me. SF used this technique for years in there WC. Mora will bring it with him.

WoodysGirl

U.N.I.T.Y
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
playit12 said:
I believe that is what I heard too... consider that verified! :rolleyes:
Good to know folks on here got my back... ;)

No prob, LTN. Another one of my useless pieces of info found to be useful after all.:)

playit12

Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Suitable or not, Mr. (Alex) Gibbs coaches his line to go for the back of defender's legs.

Cut blocks are part and parcel of this scheme, it's how the multi holes the back is supposed to sniff out are created. You hit your man below the knees.
Far as I know, the three yard 'tackle to tackle' legality zone still applies.

Of course, so long as the lineman doesn't hit from behind (hard to prove even with cameras) or roll up on the guys legs, it's kosher.

That's how these folks will be fixing to counter our fast kids..the Wares, Cantys, et al.

I think the front 5 try to stay up at the shoulders and not cut block. The second you dive for the legs you stop you ability to get lateral movement. However someone has to be block the DE on the side away from the play. (Or the rush line backer away from the play). This is usually left to a Split End or Tighend. Here is where you get cut blocks as these guys are often far to small to take on the DE face up.

I'm not a fan of them either, but it's inherent on scheme where you expect a lot of movement and have smaller guys blocking much larger guys.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY said:
Of course, Denver may say different. They have been succesful for a long time employing zone block techniques. I believe that cut blocking will continue to be limited. Just too many injuries. As time goes on, I think it will seriously limite a zone blocking scheme. It is relied upon so heavily. Eventually, it will go the way of tackling in the NFL .

LOL on the rest of that post, ABQ.

But if only it WOULD go the way of tackling..

This is one area where the players union has just plain flopped/caved imho.

Upshaw made enough noise about it immediately after Bryan Cox's leg got broken by Dan Neil, and that Tanavasa guy's season got ended by Lepsis..when you can take out two players' seasons in a short time period it gets attention.

But then...yawn, forget about it.

I despise illegal cut blocking with a passion.

But I also realize it ain't gonna be outlawed til Roy Williams starts doin it.

Yakuza Rich

Reaction score

I don't think so. They haven't had success with man to man blocking and their O-Linemen are better fit to play man to man. Outside of Rabach and Thomas, I don't think the others have played zone at all. Dockery doesn't fit the zone blocking scheme and neither does Jansen, whose skills are eroding and just came off an achilles tear.

Samuels had a nice season last year and could fit the scheme, but when he gets banged he becomes almost completely immobile. That and there would be a learning curve.

I think the idea is sort of dumb. This a team that couldn't block to save their lives last season. They are basically incorporating the scheme to make Portis feel more comfortable. My belief is that it should be the other way around.

It depends on the O-linemen you have. From my knowledge, a good majority of O-Linemen prefer the man to man scheme as its something they are taught early and have primarily used.

The one thing that would scare me about this if I was a Commanders fan is that if the zone blocking scheme doesn't work, you could see mutiny on your hands. That's what happened in 2002 when the Dallas O-Linemen basically revolted against Coslet's zone blocking scheme because they hated it so much. Even to the point where Flozell almost pummeled O-Line coach Frank Verducci in the lockerroom after an argument about it.

Rich...........