Zone Running Game

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
I think we need to just completely switch to this style of running game.

More colleges are doing it and it's a system that produces and is a lot easier to find guys who can play in that system.

Plus Murray's at his best running zone plays.

CyberB0b

Village Idiot
Reaction score
We run about 2 zone running plays a game, and they work pretty well. The problem is that it relies heavily on things like undercenter passing and play action, something Garrett doesn't seem to like very much.

Marktui

Reaction score
I thought that was why Callahan was brought in to implement? They were working on zone blocking all through out training camp. It is a good style for DeMarco, some of his biggest runs have been with him cutting back against the grain of the defense.

MapleLeaf

Maple Leaf
Reaction score
Marktui;4938347 said:
I thought that was why Callahan was brought in to implement? They were working on zone blocking all through out training camp. It is a good style for DeMarco, some of his biggest runs have been with him cutting back against the grain of the defense.

...Callahan realized it was a bigger job than expected.

Also Murray is not 100% and his runs sometimes lacked lustre. It's got too be hard to plant on a fractured foot and cut back.

cowboyschmps3

Reaction score
That scheme works and our running backs need it, Murray would tear it up, even 7th round picks one cut and go

InmanRoshi

Zone Scribe
Reaction score
I'm sure it will become the bread and butter of the running offense, because colleges are producing less and less refined man run blocking offensive linemen from power running offenses with so much spread and pistol offenses. The trouble is you don't just wave a magic wand and become a zone run blocking team. It takes a lot of cohesion and reps to implement, something that becomes problematic when you head into a season with 3 new starters on the OL, new starters at all 5 positions and your interior OL is completely decimated in training camp.

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Marktui;4938347 said:

They ran a lot of the Stretch Play which is also known as the Outside Zone play.

Callahan is considered an expert in the Zone Blocking Scheme; however, he had an OLine with different starters at all 5 positions from the previous year. I think he had to keep the scheme simple this year.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
davidyee;4938357 said:
...Callahan realized it was a bigger job than expected.

Also Murray is not 100% and his runs sometimes lacked lustre. It's got too be hard to plant on a fractured foot and cut back.

The zone running scheme would've been better for the team we have and it's not hard at all to learn.

Our tailback is an expert at running behind it too.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
InmanRoshi;4938467 said:
I'm sure it will become the bread and butter of the running offense, because colleges are producing less and less refined man run blocking offensive linemen from power running offenses with so much spread and pistol offenses. The trouble is you don't just wave a magic wand and become a zone run blocking team. It takes a lot of cohesion and reps to implement, something that becomes problematic when you head into a season with 3 new starters on the OL, new starters at all 5 positions and your interior OL is completely decimated in training camp.

It isnt that difficult.

Our scheme now is much more difficult. Especially when you have a coach that like to use formations that congest the defense and doesn't allow for a lot of space.