Reaction score
What do you Zoners think of this guy as our NT? :star:

Just try to block LSU sensation Dorsey, you Sapp
By Dennis Dodd
CBS SportsLine.com Senior Writer
Tell Dennis your opinion!

http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/story/10276378/1

CBS SportsLine.com's Preseason All-America Team
There are rarer occurrences than finding a defensive tackle who requires -- and beats -- constant double teams.

Eclipses. Meteor strikes. Lindsay Lohan in a state of lucidity.

That's why Les Miles doesn't mince words when it comes to his SportsLine.com preseason All-American defender.

Even when he's blocked, it's hard to shake Glenn Dorsey. (US Presswire)
"Glenn Dorsey is the best defensive tackle in America," the LSU coach said.

Let's take that to another level. Dorsey might be the best player in America considering he's been there, done that as a 2006 SportsLine.com All-American. And if, as expected, LSU wins its third SEC title in seven years and challenges for the national championship.

There aren't many who have seen, faced or evaluated Dorsey who can argue otherwise. That says a lot just within the Baton Rouge city limits. Dorsey is the fifth defensive line All-American at LSU since 2003.

He is one four first-teamers from the SEC on SportsLine.com's annual preseason team. The Pac-10 and Big East led the list, each landing six players on the 26-member team. USC and Louisville each had the most individuals with three on the first team.

Filling any line with serviceable defensive tackles is among the most difficult tasks in college football. It's hard for recruiters to project not only the body on a high schooler but his level of mean. Dorsey has both.

In what might be the signature game of his career, Dorsey battered Auburn for eight tackles, including two sacks last season. The only thing lacking was a scoop and a score on a fumble in Auburn's 7-3 win. It was a brutal LSU loss but all anyone could talk about after the game was Dorsey's monster effort.

"We did everything possible to block him with one, two offensive linemen, a tight end at times, a running back," Auburn's Tommy Tuberville said. "Kind of reminds me a lot of Warren Sapp."

And that was with an annoying season-long shin injury that convinced Dorsey to stick around for his senior season. If not for that, he would have been a record fifth Tiger drafted in the first round in April. So enjoy yourselves, SEC offensive linemen, essentially playing against an NFL blue chipper. A legitimate frontrunner for the Outland (top interior lineman), Nagurski and Lombardi (top lineman) trophies will be in your grill on every play.

Remember him in your prayers too, when Dorsey isn't making tackles. That's because sometimes those double teams work. Sometimes. You have to understand what 64 tackles (8 1/2 for loss) means for a defensive tackle. Linebackers and defensive backs typically make the vast majority of stops for most defenses. No tackle was among the NCAA's top 100 tacklers last season.

JohnnyHopkins

This is a house of learned doctors
Reaction score
Certainly worth consideration. Ferguson can't play forever. Thanks for the info.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
If we don't get McFadden with the Browns pick this guy is one of about 5 I would be thrilled with, and in truth he might be the one who had the biggest impact.

aikemirv

Reaction score
Well, if JJ and MBIII put up great years, and there is no need for a RB, I would hope Jerry would be able to trade down for multiple 1st. That said, with TG showing his age we really need to invest in a top flight WR. I hope Austin or Hurd turn out to be great #2's but I don't have real hopes for them being a game changer.

By the way, lets say that Spears does not really have the impact we want at DE, he seems to have the body to bulk up a little and move inside at NT. I wonder if that would be a viable option.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
And that was with an annoying season-long shin injury that convinced Dorsey to stick around for his senior season. If not for that, he would have been a record fifth Tiger drafted in the first round in April.

He very likely would have been a Commander, too. Tampa probably would have taken Adams anyway at DE and the Skins likely would have gone with Dorsey over Landry. If the Bucs had taken Dorsey, then Washington would have gone with Adams.

I'd rather see them with Landry than Dorsey or Adams. A safety just doesn't impact the game like a DL can.

$0.02

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Hostile;1574271 said:
If we don't get McFadden with the Browns pick this guy is one of about 5 I would be thrilled with, and in truth he might be the one who had the biggest impact.
Yeah, he's solid but can we get through '07 first? LOL

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Yeah, this year will tell a lot about our D-line. We definitely need a NT, but does Dorsey fit that mold? The Sapp comparison Tuberville made kind of threw me. Even with Wade's quicker scheme, you wouldn't want a Sapp type playing NT.

But we might need a quicker DT anyway, depending on how Spears does.

Crown Royal

Insulin Beware
Reaction score
I don't know anything about him. Obviously it is a fallacy, but I'm not excited about the last 3 players we drafted out of LSU.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
dogunwo;1574280 said:
Yeah, he's solid but can we get through '07 first? LOL

I agree last thing on my mind is the 08 draft. You wait all off-season for the start of the football season and now is time for some football.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1574295 said:
I agree last thing on my mind is the 08 draft. You wait all off-season for the start of the football season and now is time for some football.

I agree, but this is not the "normal" offseason.

It is not often in our rich history that we are sitting with two #1 picks and one of them has a great possibility of being extremely high (Cleve)

More excitement in the air.........

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;1574310 said:
I agree, but this is not the "normal" offseason.

It is not often in our rich history that we are sitting with two #1 picks and one of them has a great possibility of being extremely high (Cleve)

More excitement in the air.........

And the off-season will be here before you know it. Right now though I'm ready for some football. I admit the college games will be more interesting this season and we will see many different candidates for the 08 draft but as I said I'm just ready for football the off-season has been too long.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Doomsday101;1574319 said:
And the off-season will be here before you know it. Right now though I'm ready for some football. I admit the college games will be more interesting this season and we will see many different candidates for the 08 draft but as I said I'm just ready for football the off-season has been too long.

I cannot debate that with you--let's kick off!

Danny White

Winter is Coming
Reaction score
LSU Players =
darth_vader_nooo.jpeg
;)

iceberg

rock music matters
Reaction score
Hostile;1574271 said:

with the dual questions we have at RB (and hopefully that will sort out this year) and our two starting wr's late in their career, and with the last recent memory of drafts going OL or on the DL - i'll b-slap a move on the DL again with a 1st round pick.

we gotta give the O some love sooner or later.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
We've put too much into the defense and neglected offense for too long.

We need to take a RB and a WR with our two first round picks.

I'd like to see McFadden #1, and then grab the best WR on our board with our 2nd pick if the value is there.

Of course, at this point, it's impossible to be talking intelligently about value because soooo much is going to change between now and then.

But we need to address the offensive skill positions.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
cobra;1574439 said:
We've put too much into the defense and neglected offense for too long.

We need to take a RB and a WR with our two first round picks.

I'd like to see McFadden #1, and then grab the best WR on our board with our 2nd pick if the value is there.

Of course, at this point, it's impossible to be talking intelligently about value because soooo much is going to change between now and then.

But we need to address the offensive skill positions.
What about OT if Long (Michigan) or Baker (USC) are there early?

JeffInDC

Reaction score
Tra_Col99;1574380 said:
He's only 299lbs...not heavy enough to be a NT.

Actually, NFL DraftScout has his latest "accurate measurements" (from the schools themselves) as 6015, 316 lbs. 6'2", 316 w/ his strength and quickness will make him a pretty damned good 1-Gap NT.

Goldenrichards83

Reaction score
This guy is the next Tommie Harris. I would take him with our 1st to complete this line for the next 5-6 years and take a WR with our 2nd 1st because the WR class is very deep.

cobra

Salty *******
Reaction score
Hostile;1574441 said:
What about OT if Long (Michigan) or Baker (USC) are there early?

That would certainly be the only potential digression from the plan I would consider if Long/Baker do in fact show they are worth it with strong senior seasons.

But that will be something I would have to know how this season turns out. It may the case we aren't the in the market for an OT. I can't believe I am saying this, but it sounds like McQ might actually have something. If he shows something all season long, then we might have a long term player there. And it would also depend on whether Free/Marten look like they can play. Flo is gone after this year, imo. If McQ or Free can do it, then great. Columbo probably has a couple of years in him if he can stay healthy before we have to consider sticking in his replacement.

But, in the end, I guess you have to go with your draft board. If we draft 5th or something and there is no value there at RB or WR because it is gone, then I would look that way. But I would be completely prepared to take a RB or WR that is slightly below Long/Baker if those are the options where we draft.

We need a true #1 WR to develop.

We need an upgrade at RB to be a perennial Super Bowl contender.