Zoners: Additional OT Smith information

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners: If you are one of the skeptics who did not like our pick, maybe the below will change your mind.

His former coach has seen numerous OT's during his college and Pro career and LOOK WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT SMITH--Wow we got a player!

USC’s Tyron Smith, Jurrell Casey and Ronald Johnson look to make an impression at the NFL Combine
Comments (0)

The NFL combine starts this week. USC has a number of players looking to make some strong impressions in order to improve their draft stock. Depending on their performance at the combine players can either shoot up the draft board or fall back in the pack. Of course, it is never an exact science but if players get invited to participate in the combine it says a lot about a players potential. I am going to focus on three players that the NFL has some serious interest in. Tyron Smith USC Bio Smith was seen early on as a special player. Just a few months into Tyron Smith‘s USC career, Pete Carroll said the young offensive tackle could do things he hadn’t seen someone at his position do before… :starspin “I think Tyron Smith is the most underrated offensive linemen in this draft,” McShay said. “It won’t shock me if he goes in the top 10. … He’s continuing to develop physically. He has good natural balance. He’s trying to add bulk now, he’s over 300 pounds, which is where you’d like to see him at the combine. He’s really impressive with what he can do.”

Many of us said the same thing as well…that Smith was still developing physically. Kind of like an Everson Griffin without the head case. We all wondered if he could actually put on the weight that is needed to really be a stud at his position at the next level. Others think that Smith will be the steal of that draft at his position… Expect the ultra-athletic Smith to weigh in at 300-plus pounds after playing at 285 for the Trojans. If his surgically repaired meniscus is healed, he should put up 40-yard dash and shuttle times similar to those recorded by (Trent) Williams The National Football Post offers a complete breakdown of Tyron Smith . Is a gifted athlete in space in the run game.

Quickly releases to the second level, breaks down on his target and consistently is able to get his hands into contact and seal. Doesn’t always hit what he sees when trying to cut defenders down at the line, but is quickly out of his stance when trying to step and seal and works his legs around defenders well through contact. Plays with good leverage as an in-line guy, extends his arms well into contact, bumps his legs and can create an initial surge because of his pad level and technique. Needs to continue to get stronger in order to do the same at the next level, but he should be able to pretty quickly in his career. You can also read SBN’s Mocking the Draft write up on Smith here .
The consensus is that Smith will go in the first round, not bad for being just a two-year starter.

ThreeandOut

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3949338 said:
Pete Carroll said the young offensive tackle could do things he hadn’t seen someone at his position do before… .

Based on some of the highlight videos that were posted in the forum after the draft, I tend to agree with that statement. It's some of the more impressive highlights that I've ever seen for an offensive lineman. Smith has incredible agility and athleticism for a player of his size.

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
lets not forget that although smith played RT, USC has another LT that's slated as top 15 player who is coming out next year.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
One thing for sure he is not built like a lineman. He looks more like a TE but has great technique

WV Cowboy

Waitin' on the 6th
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;3949338 said:
Zoners: If you are one of the skeptics who did not like our pick, maybe the below will change your mind.

His former coach has seen numerous OT's during his college and Pro career and LOOK WHAT HE SAYS ABOUT SMITH--Wow we got a player!

Frankly, myself, .. I will continue to believe what the negative, skeptical posters on this site say about Smith and our pick.

Why would I believe his coaches, our coaches, and the draft experts instead?

:rolleyes:

Ashwynn

Reaction score
I like when people talk nice about our picks. Makes me feel warm and fuzy, not quite a tingle up my leg, but for sure a smile on my face.

zrinkill

Cowboy Fan
Reaction score
WV Cowboy;3949404 said:
Frankly, myself, .. I will continue to believe what the negative, skeptical posters on this site say about Smith and our pick.

Why would I believe his coaches, our coaches, and the draft experts instead?

:rolleyes:

:laugh2: