Zoners: Bill Parcells....the rest of the story

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
big dog cowboy;2125822 said:
Does it really matter?

No not really big dog, however, I was just curious as to why work hard for four years to have a team ready to compete for a Super Bowl and then basically quit when the job is nearly complete.

I just don't understand why? Unless, Mr. Jones and BP had a fallen out over something.....maybe T.O.?

At least it has all worked out great for us......Wade and Garrett will take us to the finish line in Tampa! :star:

Disturbed

A Mere Flesh Wound
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2125841 said:
No not really big dog, however, I was just curious as to why work hard for four years to have a team ready to compete for a Super Bowl and then basically quit when the job is nearly complete.

I just don't understand why? Unless, Mr. Jones and BP had a fallen out over something.....maybe T.O.?

At least it has all worked out great for us......Wade and Garrett will take us to the finish line in Tampa! :star:

Maybe we will know in five years when people are more open about why he left.....

And I hope Wade & Jason can get us to the finish line in first place. I don't want to hear what our record is after each question next year....no matter the topic. 13-3 13-3 13-3 13-3 13-3 Uuuuurrrrggggghhhhh.

dcfanatic

Benched
Reaction score
Being a head coach and being a team president are two different things.

One has you working 20 hour days where you are in direct contact with the players day in and day out.

The other has you working 10 hour days where you can sit in your office and you may not see some of the players for weeks on end.

The guy just could not take the wear and tear of being a head coach anymore.

Spectre

Reaction score
CATCH17;2125647 said:
He didnt want to coach anymore and he wasnt going to be the GM or Vice Pres. here anytime soon.

I love BP but his stubborness to bring complexity to the defense and aggresiveness to the offense really hendered this team back.

If my team is complete garbage though ill hire him any day of the week. He is a miracle worker.
I'm sorry but complexity to the defense and aggressiveness to the offense seem completely backwards to me in describing what BP did here.

He ran a simple, conservative approach on offense. Run focus, ball-control, win Time-of-possession battle. His defense was overall a simple scheme as well. Not many stunts or misdirection approaches. Just straightforward containment with a focus on size and strength.

What we run now on both sides of the ball seems a little more complex and aggressive which has been executed well under the new coaching staff utilizing Parcells' players.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
Spectre;2125860 said:
I'm sorry but complexity to the defense and aggressiveness to the offense seem completely backwards to me in describing what BP did here.

He ran a simple, conservative approach on offense. Run focus, ball-control, win Time-of-possession battle. His defense was overall a simple scheme as well. Not many stunts or misdirection approaches. Just straightforward containment with a focus on size and strength.

What we run now on both sides of the ball seems a little more complex and aggressive which has been executed well under the new coaching staff utilizing Parcells' players.

He did run simple schemes. But he also was implementing new schemes with young players. He's an old school coach who believes that if you run any scheme correctly you are going to win more than you lose. He's never been about fancy stuff -- just guys who are well prepared and consistent.

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
There is obviously more to the story than what the public knows.

I had an exchange of e-mails with Matt Mosley right after the season ended that year. It was during the time that Parcells was supposed to be making up his mind if he was going to return. Mosley told me there was NO WAY Jerry was going to have Parcells back for another year. Matt said that decision had already been made by Jerry and that the entire ordeal of Parcells "deciding" whether he would return or not was for show and to allow Jerry and Parcells to split without any public disagreement.

AbeBeta

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2125902 said:

I had an exchange of e-mails with Matt Mosley right after the season ended that year. It was during the time that Parcells was supposed to be making up his mind if he was going to return. Mosley told me there was NO WAY Jerry was going to have Parcells back for another year. Matt said that decision had already been made by Jerry and that the entire ordeal of Parcells "deciding" whether he would return or not was for show and to allow Jerry and Parcells to split without any public disagreement.

I don't doubt your exchange but I do doubt seriously that any journalist saves stuff like that or email exchanges if it is defensible rather than just speculation.

I think that the reality is that neither Jerry or Bill are going to discuss this and I doubt that either spoke to anyone who gave Mosley anything but their own speculation.

ndanger

Reaction score
superpunk;2125770 said:
He didn't want to have Red Jesus forced upon him, emasculating a very good Tony Sparano and nipping at his heels as the heir apparent.

The helicopters are out there, you just need a special hat.

I have hair like in you're avatar, does that work as good as the hat ? :cool:

Spectre

Reaction score
abersonc;2125914 said:
I don't doubt your exchange but I do doubt seriously that any journalist saves stuff like that or email exchanges if it is defensible rather than just speculation.

I think that the reality is that neither Jerry or Bill are going to discuss this and I doubt that either spoke to anyone who gave Mosley anything but their own speculation.
I have to agree with this thought.

Just seems too odd for a journalist to have this kind of info and share it with a stranger but practice reserve on revealing the story publicly.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2125902 said:

Perfect CaptainAmerica!

I knew it......but, this is the first I have heard anything like this......I figured Mr. Jones DID NOT want him back.

Thanks for that good feedback :)

CaptainAmerica

Reaction score
Spectre;2125919 said:
I have to agree with this thought.

Just seems too odd for a journalist to have this kind of info and share it with a stranger but practice reserve on revealing the story publicly.

I believed him at the time and he turned out to be right. I'm just telling you what he told me.

Also, I didn't think it was "odd" at all. The fact is those media beat guys who are around the team every day know a lot more information than they can publicly share. A lot of their information is "off the record".

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2125929 said:
Also, I didn't think it was "odd" at all. The fact is those media beat guys who are around the team every day know a lot more information than they can publicly share. A lot of their information is "off the record".
Exactly.

Also, it was rumored at the time that Parcells was angling for a raise, thinking that Jerry wouldn't possibly let him go so late in the process when it would be hard to find a replacement... But Jerry called his bluff.

True or not? Who knows. Wouldn't surprise me, though.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
CaptainAmerica;2125929 said:
I believed him at the time and he turned out to be right. I'm just telling you what he told me.

I agree 100 percent.

Matt has emailed me numerous times over the years and shared with me his thoughts on issues that came true two or three days later....... I thought it was nice of him to email a fan.:star:

Zen

Reaction score
Jerrah has a ego......really. This was a doomed relationship from the beginning, but they managed to be civil for the kids(the team). So its all good. Maybe Jerrah learned something..... nah he is stubborn and holding on to tight. Personally the owner has to separate himself from football operations(talent) and strictly control bussiness. I don't know why Jerrah needs to be percieved as a brillant football person, being the owner of the Dallas Cowboys is better then being President. Stealing the team and marketing it into a grand stadium and making people pay top dollar, thats something to be proud of. Having natural grass would be the pinnacle of success.