Zoners: Did the 1:00 cst press conf happen?

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
Yes, there was a PC but I was listening to it in the car.

It was very good too. Wade Phillips fielded alot of questions from the media about the lack luster effort put forth by our defense and he had some good rebuttals.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
I watched it but didn't take any notes. It was a good PC, though. Lots of good football talk, IMO.

Some quick points off the top of my head:

-- Crayton and Newman got banged up -- no word on what was wrong.

-- We definitely were surprised they ran so much. They ran much more two-TE and fullback sets than they had. If I heard Wade right, he said they hadn't even activated a fullback for much of the year. Wade said he took the blame for not having them prepared for the right looks.

-- Still isn't that worried about the run D, as on the longer runs there were defenders free and for some reason they just missed their gap or missed the play. Or we had mental busts. It wasn't like they totally overpowered us.

-- Still very proud of the team for their heart and character. They all seem to believe in each other and that someone will make a play to win the game, which is what you want.

-- Didn't challenge the Witten fumble because they were pretty sure it was a fumble. Strange little exchange where Calvin Watkins asked him about that, and Wade just said a couple of times, "It was a fumble".

-- Even the so-called non-stars can and did make plays to win the game, like Kosier's fumble recovery and Sam Hurd's clutch catch on the final drive.

-- I missed the very, very beginning, but Wade was talking about the coaches studying mistakes today and telling the players about them earlier than usual... I think because they got home so much earlier than, say, a road night game or Monday game.

-- More praise for Ratliff. Says Jay is playing really, really well.

-- Henry and Newman looked rusty being back at their normal right and left starting spots for the first time in a while.

-- Said the hole in the Tampa 2 they run is the TE, so they planned to just wear that out and that's what they did. They play a D much like Buffalo does, and the experience in Buffalo really helped Tony take what that D is giving him rather than forcing things.

-- Liked Detroit pooch-kicking the kickoffs, because field position was so good. Joked that Miles might be pretty good if he could avoid the kicker. Said he told Miles that other teams were going to start running 11 kickers out there to stop him. :)

Maikeru-sama

Mick Green 58
Reaction score
More praise for Ratliff. Says Jay is playing really, really well.

I thought that play tackle at the LOS when the Lions were backed up on their 1 yard line was a great player even though it looked like a broken play.

Of course Henry allowed the big 3rd Down conversion right after that.

eduncan22

Benched
Reaction score
The Defense needs to be runnin' some burners today.

That was a horrible performance.

theebs

Believe!!!!
Reaction score
the kickers covering kicks was pretty funny.

with wades delivery it is even more funny....or funnier.

Oh_Canada

Reaction score
I know he seems to harp on the yards per attempt stat which I can understand being important, but if the QB is completing a high percentage of those passes isn't that a problem??

I think you can get away with this type of philosophy against young/poor QB's, but vets will pick the soft zone apart.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;1825116 said:
I watched it but didn't take any notes. It was a good PC, though. Lots of good football talk, IMO.

Some quick points off the top of my head:

-- Crayton and Newman got banged up -- no word on what was wrong.

-- We definitely were surprised they ran so much. They ran much more two-TE and fullback sets than they had. If I heard Wade right, he said they hadn't even activated a fullback for much of the year. Wade said he took the blame for not having them prepared for the right looks.

-- Still isn't that worried about the run D, as on the longer runs there were defenders free and for some reason they just missed their gap or missed the play. Or we had mental busts. It wasn't like they totally overpowered us.

-- Still very proud of the team for their heart and character. They all seem to believe in each other and that someone will make a play to win the game, which is what you want.

-- Didn't challenge the Witten fumble because they were pretty sure it was a fumble. Strange little exchange where Calvin Watkins asked him about that, and Wade just said a couple of times, "It was a fumble".

-- Even the so-called non-stars can and did make plays to win the game, like Kosier's fumble recovery and Sam Hurd's clutch catch on the final drive.

-- I missed the very, very beginning, but Wade was talking about the coaches studying mistakes today and telling the players about them earlier than usual... I think because they got home so much earlier than, say, a road night game or Monday game.

-- More praise for Ratliff. Says Jay is playing really, really well.

-- Henry and Newman looked rusty being back at their normal right and left starting spots for the first time in a while.

-- Said the hole in the Tampa 2 they run is the TE, so they planned to just wear that out and that's what they did. They play a D much like Buffalo does, and the experience in Buffalo really helped Tony take what that D is giving him rather than forcing things.

-- Liked Detroit pooch-kicking the kickoffs, because field position was so good. Joked that Miles might be pretty good if he could avoid the kicker. Said he told Miles that other teams were going to start running 11 kickers out there to stop him. :)

very good recap from memory--wow.....thank you

vicjagger

Reaction score
Unfortunately, Wade did not mention anything about Romo's potential to be the best Cowboys quarterback ever.