Zoners: Do you prefer Speed or Brute strength?

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners,

All I read mostly is our OL is the greatest need in either FA or the Draft, however, if our #1 OL draft prospect is already taken before we pick--then, how many of you believe we should just go for it?

NFL Mock Draft: Tavon Austin breaks through http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/mock-drafts/gil-brandt/165254

I believe after watching this kid destroy OU, with his speed; quickness; pass catching ability etc.....he might just make our OL look a little bit like NFL caliber lineman.

Garrett would have to draw up plays similiar to the way New Orleans utilizes Sproles--honestly, we need to take this player and roll the dice! :starspin

Do you believe this is a STUPID Idea?

Blue Eyed Devil

Reaction score
I like strength on the o-line vs. mobility.

Yes, the mobile o-lines of Houston and Washington did great things this year. But the 49ers and Ravens essentially rode their o-lines to the superbowl. Those were big strong o-lines that moved the line of scrimmage where they wanted it to go.

Reaction score
I think weapons on offense, especially pass catchers, is not our need. Momentum changers in the trenches, both sides of the ball, was our achilles last season and needs to be addressed in a big way.

I prefer strength/brute vs. speed on the OL

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
I prefer consistency. Doesn't matter if it's brute strength or speed if you can't consistently deliver either.

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
BoysFan4ever;5013121 said:

This Austin kid has speed to burn and quick as a cat.

I dread the day we play the team he is drafted by.......this kid is the real deal and he can make our OL look much better then they actually are.....and not to mention taking short screen passes from ROMO to the house for 6!

Adding this rookie Austin with Dez ......I can only imagine how fun it will be watching this offense.

FLcowboy

When Jerry, when?
Reaction score
I don't see how he improves the Oline. If Romo can't get the ball away, no receiver is going to succeed. And, just how long would a 170 pound receiver last in the league running crossing routes.

Nation

Reaction score
As good as Tavon can be in the right offense I'd think our current offensive line would make him fairly useless as a weapon. He'll be easy enough to jam at the line of scrimmage and our poor blocking would make re-routing him an issue.

speedkilz88

Reaction score
I would never take a player that's only 5-8 1/2 174 at any position in the first round. First rounders should always be guys that have it all; size, speed, smarts.

WhizKid

Reaction score
Go Dline.

Draft a WR in the 5th at the earliest.

Josh Boyce. Taller, runs great routes, smart football player, and is a real deep threat. Versatile WR who can play on the outside and the inside.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Interesting thought for those who are talking strictly about the Oline, if you heard Mayock and others use the phrase "converting speed into power". Slow big guys are not what the NFL is about anymore, you have to have the guys who can finish the equation of using athleticism and speed and capitalizing at the end to punctuate the speed with power.

My answer is both with speed first, translate power.

MonsterD

Quota outta absentia
Reaction score
Not going to lie, I would be pretty happy to get Austin, we can draft smart in this draft and still come away with good Oline picks.

Kristen82

Reaction score
MonsterD;5013210 said:
Interesting thought for those who are talking strictly about the Oline, if you heard Mayock and others use the phrase "converting speed into power". Slow big guys are not what the NFL is about anymore, you have to have the guys who can finish the equation of using athleticism and speed and capitalizing at the end to punctuate the speed with power.

My answer is both with speed first, translate power.

Don't need to be big to be a force, at least in the secondary. Momentum = mass * velocity after all. That's why you see small fast guys like Whitner being big hitters. Think I'd rather go with speed esp. on D given the prevalence of athletic QB's who can throw out of the pocket and break long runs out of the read-option, plus teams using the spread and multiple WR's. DB's and LB's have more ground to cover against that formation.