Zoners: Excitement but Concern

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners:

What player or facet of the team has you most excited about this season?

Also, what player or facet of the team are you most concerned about?

Excited: #80 Bennett has me out of my head excited with what he will bring to the 21 formation in the Red Zone.....can you imagine what the other DC is thinking when this strong, tall, huge, fast, leaping, great hands T.E. comes out of the huddle? :starspin

Concern: Depth on our offensive line. I sure hope to be wrong and I hope we have NO INJURIES so I do not have to find out. But, I just do not see a quality OL player at any position sitting on our bench :confused: :star:

AKATheRake

Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2865947 said:
Zoners:

Excited: #80 Bennett has me out of my head excited with what he will bring to the 21 formation in the Red Zone.....can you imagine what the other DC is thinking when this strong, tall, huge, fast, leaping, great hands T.E. comes out of the huddle? :starspin

Concern: Depth on our offensive line. I sure hope to be wrong and I hope we have NO INJURIES so I do not have to find out. But, I just do not see a quality OL player at any position sitting on our bench :confused: :star:

I'm excited about Felix Jones and to see if we have Row Williams from 3 years ago.

You have my vote regarding the OL depth as being most concerned about.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Excited...it's a new year. I'm always excited as the new year dawns.

Concerned...the tone of this forum if the team is less than we deserve again.

:grin:

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Felix Jones easily #1 on excitement.

Spencer is my biggest concern. People under rate Ellis and I hope Spencer can just come close to what Ellis was on game day.

I believe he has the potential to do it and should get favorable match ups because of Ware but this still bothers me.

The Ominous

Dead Man Stalkin
Reaction score
Excited: Players like Martellus and Felix getting into the full swing of this offense. Rookies that seem to be fired up and ready to go. And of course...THE NEW STADIUM!

Concerned: One word and one word alone: Injuries.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett are exciting and keep me optimistic for this year. Also our defense is something to get excited for. They are top 3 potential.

The O-line and Romo to Roy connection are making me nervous..

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
SLATEmosphere;2865971 said:
Felix Jones and Martellus Bennett are exciting and keep me optimistic for this year. Also our defense is something to get excited for. They are top 3 potential.

The O-line and Romo to Roy connection are making me nervous..

The Romo to Roy connection?

Seriously this guy beat me for the Scandrick Award? :lmao:

How about concerns about Mat McBriar's health and longevity (i.e. lack of freak injuries) or the kickoff and punt coverage for concerns.

Something legitimate...Romo to Roy...:lmao::lmao::lmao:

Boyzmamacita

CowBabe Up!!!
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I'm excited to see if our special teams will really be improved and make a difference in team success.

I'm concerned that no matter how well the Cowboys start, the media and fan negativity leading up to December will be so strong that it becomes a distraction to the players, a la answering questions about it over and over.

JBS

Reaction score
casmith07;2865975 said:

How about concerns about Mat McBriar's health and longevity (i.e. lack of freak injuries) or the kickoff and punt coverage for concerns.

I am not saying I am concerned about Romo to Roy, however, why is it illegitimate for one to be concerned over it?

JBS

Reaction score
Excited: Potential of our defense going from good to great...forcing turnovers and dominating games..

Concerned: Oline depth

sonnyboy

Benched
Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2865980 said:
I'm excited to see if our special teams will really be improved and make a difference in team success.

I'm concerned that no matter how well the Cowboys start, the media and fan negativity leading up to December will be so strong that it becomes a distraction to the players, a la answering questions about it over and over.

You're ripping the cover off the ball tonight. This has been bothering me for some time now.

We could be 11-1 and all anyone will talk about is our previous Dec failings.

AKATheRake

Reaction score
Boyzmamacita;2865980 said:

Getting Felix involved on punt returns also helps us move the ball on ST's. Having a 100% McBriar, Folk being himself and then Buelher actually being able to kick into the end zone, which in practice that has been the case, will improve field position.

Our coverage teams weren't that bad last year but they certainly weren't so great either. Losing Keith Davis and Burnett don't help our coverage unit. But having DeCamillis instead of Read is an overwhelming upswing IMHO.

ST's is one of the reasons The Cat is who I'm excited about. The guy is a merck on returns. Can just shift the momentum of the game with 1 little touch on a return. Just an assassin.

SLATEmosphere

Benched
Reaction score
casmith07;2865975 said:

Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? It's a legit concern. Get over your bitterness.

Zaxor

Virtus Mille Scuta
Reaction score
CrazyCowboy;2865947 said:
Zoners:

I agree with this

Bizwah

Reaction score
Excitement: Miles Austin
I had my eye on him as a player in the draft a few years ago. I admit...I liked him more than Colston. Ooops. Anyway, it's been years since we developed a big play WR (Irvin). I think Austin can finally be that guy. Big speculation here.

Concern: Offensive Line
I've voiced concern over the line the last several years. I always thought there was a problem with our run blocking. When you have the threats at WR and TE that we did, paired with a top-flight QB....you should be more consistent running the ball.

We don't.

I'm also concerned with the depth on the OL. A promising season can go south so quickly if we lose one of our OTs or our center. I'm not as worried about OG. I think Holland will be a solid backup there.

billknows

Reaction score
Bizwah;2866100 said:
Excitement: Miles Austin
I had my eye on him as a player in the draft a few years ago. I admit...I liked him more than Colston. Ooops. Anyway, it's been years since we developed a big play WR (Irvin). I think Austin can finally be that guy. Big speculation here.

Concern: Offensive Line
I've voiced concern over the line the last several years. I always thought there was a problem with our run blocking. When you have the threats at WR and TE that we did, paired with a top-flight QB....you should be more consistent running the ball.

We don't.

I'm also concerned with the depth on the OL. A promising season can go south so quickly if we lose one of our OTs or our center. I'm not as worried about OG. I think Holland will be a solid backup there.

Agreed with all

casmith07

Attorney-at-Zone
Reaction score
glorydaysrback;2865986 said:
I am not saying I am concerned about Romo to Roy, however, why is it illegitimate for one to be concerned over it?

SLATEmosphere;2866060 said:
Who pissed in your cornflakes this morning? It's a legit concern. Get over your bitterness.

All I'm saying is, with all of the things that can happen on a football field, the "Romo to Roy Connection" is probably the last thing you should be concerned about -- Romo can throw it, and Roy can catch it, and both do a very good job at what they do. It's also negligible because that 1-to-1 facet of the game will not decide the outcome of games. There are numerous other people that can carry the offensive load if need be: Crayton, Austin, Hurd, 5th WR, Barber, Choice, Jones, Witten, Bennett, even Cricket will get his once a season.

I think Special Teams should be your area of concern, at least initially until we see some marked improvement in a couple of the preseason games. Mat McBriar and our coverage units WILL determine the outcome of games with field position - vastly underrated by Zoners.

Also the offensive line's depth could be a concern as well. I think as long as the Top 5 + Holland stay healthy, we've got a good shot to do very well like in 2007. I think a lot of people were quick to jump all over Flozell Adams last year when Kosier went down -- Procter was horrible. Just like Ken Hamlin couldn't play both FS and SS at the same time last season, Flozell couldn't block the whole left side of the defense by himself.

You've got to add some substance to your arguments...don't just throw paint on a wall.