Zoners: If Mr. Cupcake falters

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Here is the coach I want--PERIOD

Mr. Meyer from FLORIDA GATORS!

Look what he is doing to the National Champions

GAINESVILLE, Fla. (AP) -- The Florida Gators celebrated last season Saturday by getting their national championship rings, then took a look at what's in store for the future.

With 16 starters sitting out, many of them for precautionary reasons, Florida's spring game turned into a showcase for young players who might not even make an impact this fall.

Sophomore John Brantley threw for 265 yards and three touchdowns, ran for two scores and led the Orange team to a 31-21 victory over Tim Tebow's Blue squad.

"He had a great spring," offensive coordinator Steve Addazio said. "You watch his presence in the pocket, his poise. He took a shot under the chin and delivered a strike. All the signs and evidence of a guy that's really developing into one heck of a football player.

"He's a legitimate player, and we have a lot of confidence in him. That was a major deal for the spring, and I think the exclamation point was out there for him today."

Brantley was 14-of-23 passing, with completions of 26, 47 and 50 yards. His 47-yarder to Frankie Hammond Jr. highlighted a 90-yard touchdown drive in the first half. They also hooked up on a 50-yard score on the second play of the second half.

Hammond caught the ball in stride, then juked Adrian Bushell near the goal line and coasted into the end zone. The redshirt freshman finished with four catches for 131 yards and two scores.

"It feels good, but I still made some mistakes," Hammond said. "I'm just trying to contribute and trying to fit in wherever it may be."

The receiver position was one of Florida's main concerns this spring. The Gators lost their top two wideouts, Percy Harvin and Louis Murphy, after beating Oklahoma in the national title game in January and weren't sure who would replace them. But Hammond, Deonte Thompson (four catches for 44 yards), Carl Moore (two for 49) and T.J. Lawrence (five for 59) looked to be capable pass-catchers.

"We do have guys," Tebow said. "There's a lot of different guys. There's no one guy. It's a lot of guys competing for the ball, competing for catches. I think that's great because it's going to make these guys work really hard this summer."

Tebow only played the first half and was 7-of-9 passing for 81 yards, with a touchdown and an interception. He also ran three times for 21 yards.

Tebow, Thompson, running back Chris Rainey and three offensive linemen were the only starters who played in the spring game. The entire first-team defense got the day off, which might have benefited Brantley the most. Instead of going against the first unit, he faced second- and third-teamers.

Nonetheless, he showed the kind of game-management skills of an experienced quarterback.

"It's really clicked for me that I can do this," said Brantley, who played for both teams in the second half and actually scored once for the Blue squad. "Once Tebow leaves, and if I'm fortunate enough to get the starting job, I can run the show."

Tebow took Brantley around Florida Field for a victory lap after the game, with the duo getting high-fives from some of the about 50,000 on hand.

The day started with players getting one of their three rings. They are still waiting on national championship rings that players designed. This one was a huge silver one with an orange and blue "No. 1" etched between "National" and "Champions."

"My arm's already a little bit sore and I've only had it on a couple of minutes," Brantley said.

With the 2007 Heisman Trophy winner and the team's entire defense back from last season, the Gators expect to compete for another title this fall. Even Meyer acknowledged the program is in great shape right now.

"What we can't do is lose our edge," Meyer said. "If we didn't have all those minor dings, you would have seen a hell of a team jog out there today. What did we envision? This is it. This is where we want to be. We just have to be careful, put the pedal to the metal. ... We've got this thing about where you want. Now we've just got to stay and keep recruiting our tails off and keep working."

Meyer said he plans to make summer drills and fall practice the most difficult workouts his players have ever faced, figuring that's the best way to keep them from paying attention to any preseason accolades and lofty predictions that might come their way.

Now that is the type of respect and love for the game our Cowboys need :star:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/football/ncaa/04/18/florida.springgame.ap/index.html

What do you Zoners think of Myers leadership?

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't know that I want a coach coming in here with zero coaching experience. I know Jimmy did it and did it great but the recent trend of college coaches to the NFL has seen some spectacular failures that I'm simply not interested in seeing Dallas be part of.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I think he like Spurrier is a very good college coach, his style and system would not fare well in the NFL. In the meantime I would just as soon see the Cowboys and cup cake go out and win big

Doomsday101

Reaction score
BraveHeartFan;2737405 said:
I don't know that I want a coach coming in here with zero coaching experience. I know Jimmy did it and did it great but the recent trend of college coaches to the NFL has seen some spectacular failures that I'm simply not interested in seeing Dallas be part of.

Thing is Miami was running a pro set offense to begin with when Jimmy was there.

RS12

Reaction score
In a word, NO. Next coach will either be Carrot Top (if the offense performs well this year), Shanahan, or Holmgrem. So it is written, so it shall be.

RS12

Reaction score
Would not be suprised if Meyer was at ND in 2010, after they show Charley Weiss and his schematic advantage the door.:laugh1:

ArmyCowboy

Reaction score
The thing about Myers is that he has had success with Bowling Green, Utah and now Florida.

It's not like he caught lightning in a bottle at one school and is living off that reputaion.

Obviously, the spread option will not work in the NFL, but to have that much success, Myers has to be an excellent motivator and head coach in general.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
Doomsday101;2737407 said:
I think he like Spurrier is a very good college coach, his style and system would not fare well in the NFL. In the meantime I would just as soon see the Cowboys and cup cake go out and win big

Exactly.

You can't run gadget offenses in the NFL like that.

He is top 2 or 3 in the college game and he is perfect for that job.

You give him those type of weapons at that level and he can massacre teams.

He's very similar to a basketball coach in that he can orchestrate a game from the sidelines.

CATCH17

1st Round Pick
Reaction score
RS12;2737461 said:
Would not be suprised if Meyer was at ND in 2010, after they show Charley Weiss and his schematic advantage the door.

He already had that job if he wanted it.

Knowing how Notre Dame operates they will most likely give Weiss the axe this year regardless of how he does.

I know they want Gruden @ Notre Dame.

To me Gruden isn't a good fit for College from a X's and O's standpoint.

All you would be getting is a firery Bill Callahan with just as difficult of a playbook.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CATCH17;2737466 said:
Exactly.

You can't run gadget offenses in the NFL like that.

He is top 2 or 3 in the college game and he is perfect for that job.

You give him those type of weapons at that level and he can massacre teams.

He's very similar to a basketball coach in that he can orchestrate a game from the sidelines.

I agree. One college coach I would not mind seeing him get a chance at the NFL level Les Miles. Before anyone says it I'm not a big LSU fan :laugh1:

THUMPER

Papa
Reaction score
Not many head coaches can make the transition from college to pro successfully. There have been a few but most don't do very well. That is true for both football and basketball.

The most successful NFL HCs were NFL assistants first so if a HC from college really wanted to make the step to the Pros then he should become an NFL coordinator first then move to HC. But of course, no one wants to take that step down in position or pay.

cowboyjoe

Reaction score
Doomsday101;2737475 said:
I agree. One college coach I would not mind seeing him get a chance at the NFL level Les Miles. Before anyone says it I'm not a big LSU fan :laugh1:

"What we can't do is lose our edge," Meyer said. "If we didn't have all those minor dings, you would have seen a hell of a team jog out there today. What did we envision? This is it. This is where we want to be. We just have to be careful, put the pedal to the metal. ... We've got this thing about where you want. Now we've just got to stay and keep recruiting our tails off and keep working."

Meyer said he plans to make summer drills and fall practice the most difficult workouts his players have ever faced, figuring that's the best way to keep them from paying attention to any preseason accolades and lofty predictions that might come their way.

Now that is the type of respect and love for the game our Cowboys need

exactly, ive been saying that all along, you cant run a soft camp and expect to win championships, takes hard work and practice;

Doomsday101

Reaction score
cowboyjoe;2737558 said:

Now that is the type of respect and love for the game our Cowboys need

exactly, ive been saying that all along, you cant run a soft camp and expect to win championships, takes hard work and practice;

I think he is a fine college coach the rah rah stuff you can keep, Like Spurrier he runs and off the wall offense while it is great in the college ranks it will not get it done at the pro level. Again I think Myers is a fine college coach who because he is at Florida gets many of the top high school players and it is not hard to sell Florida where these kids know they will get the national exposure they are looking for

Kaika

Have a Good Day Pilgrims
Reaction score
Sorry, But I would take him right now over Bum's kid.:mad:

Big Country

Rolling Thunder
Reaction score
there are 500 coaches out there that could take this team to the promised land

oh wait...

CF74

Vet Min Plus
Reaction score
Unless the guy is a total buffoon (Which I doubt given his track record,) I don't see him coming into the NFL and trying to run college stuff. I'd imagine he'd find some Pro Playbooks and get with it. Ya think?:confused:

Doomsday101

Reaction score
CowboyFan74;2737587 said:
Unless the guy is a total buffoon (Which I doubt given his track record,) I don't see him coming into the NFL and trying to run college stuff. I'd imagine he'd find some Pro Playbooks and get with it. Ya think?:confused:

I think he will go with what he has made a living at doing just as most college coaches do when they enter the NFL.

zeromaster

Reaction score
No, no, and no.

Meyer should stay where he is. And if he's as smart as I think he is, he will.