Zoners: lets take a flyer on this HOKIE for our new RB

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
Zoners: this guy is fast, strong and talented and can be had cheap!

Ore gone from Tech's football team
Beamer doesn't elaborate on reason for the loss of Hokies' star runner

Thursday, Mar 20, 2008 - 12:07 AM Updated: 07:16 AM
Article Tools
Email a Friend
RSS
digg it
Yahoo! Buzz Printer Friendly
Mobile Alerts
Sphere IT
Save This Page
By DARRYL SLATER
TIMES-DISPATCH STAFF WRITER
BLACKSBURG -- Virginia Tech starting running back Branden Ore is no longer a member of Tech's football team, coach Frank Beamer announced yesterday.

"During recent meetings with Branden Ore, we have decided that it would be best for Branden to pursue other opportunities," Beamer said in a news release. "Branden has had many great moments here at Virginia Tech, and we wish him well in the future."

Beamer did not elaborate on the reason for Ore's departure and said in the release that he would not comment further. Elisha "Cadillac" Harris, Ore's coach at Indian River High in Chesapeake, did not return a telephone message.

Ore, a rising senior, led the Hokies in rushing the past two seasons. Last season, he rushed for 992 yards and nine touchdowns in 14 games. In 2006, he rushed for 1,137 yards and 16 touchdowns in 12 games. He finishes his Tech career with 2,776 yards and 31 touchdowns. His yardage total ranks fifth on Tech's all-time list.

But off-field issues tinged Ore's talent.

In early 2006, after his redshirt freshman season, Tech's coaches decided Ore should spend the spring semester at home to rehab after right-shoulder surgery and refocus on his academics. Ore spent the semester working at a 7-Eleven warehouse.

Before last season, running backs coach Billy Hite was displeased that Ore returned to school in less-than-ideal physical condition after missing part of summer workouts because, he said, he went home to help a friend whose grandmother died.

Then in January, Ore testified in the federal crack-cocaine trial of friend Tony Majette, who was pulled over in June 2006 in Blacksburg with about 23 grams of crack in the Cadillac he was driving. Ore was in the front passenger seat.

Ore testified that Majette handed him a bag of crack when a police car flashed its lights behind them. Ore pushed the bag aside, he testified. Majette was convicted of possessing a controlled substance with intent to distribute.

Six days after Ore took the stand, he filed paperwork to declare for the NFL draft. But he did not hire an agent, and Tech announced two days after Ore filed the paperwork that he would return for his senior season.

Despite Ore's absence, the Hokies, who begin spring practice Wednesday, figure to have several promising running backs next season. Rising juniors Kenny Lewis Jr. and Jahre Cheeseman return. Lewis rushed for 205 yards last season, Cheeseman 133. Darren Evans, a Parade All-American, and Josh Oglesby redshirted last season as freshmen. A jewel in Tech's incoming recruiting class is Ryan Williams from Stonewall Jackson High in Manassas. He is regarded as one of the nation's top high school running backs.

The Hokies now enter spring practice having to replace their tailback, fullback, left tackle and top four wide receivers. Their defense loses eight starters.

:star:

braw

Reaction score
no offense but the cowboys are not running a daycare service. Just because we hit ok on TO and Tank means we will eventually strike out. The law of averages dictates that. The draft has good quality college Rbs to back up Marion.

Right now it seems like status quo in the locker room makes for a better team. Then with this years draft class( high character guys) we will be ok.

The Giants are a great example how the locker room has a greater effect toward winning a SB than an ALL Star team filled with troubled players.Exit Tiki and Shockey enter CHAMPIONSHIP.

SkinsHokieFan

Reaction score
Branden Ore has some serious talent, its just a shame he never was willing to put in the hardwork and determinition to be a consistant star player

He could have started in 2005, but kept doing dumb stuff like not going to class. It appeared he had his act together before the 2006 season and he had a great year, then he shows up to summer practice way out of shape last season and only came on towards the end of the year

The VT coaching staff simply had enough of him. If he gets his head on right, he could be a player. And for his sake, I hope he does

I am glad he is now out of the locker room, don't need an older vet setting a bad example to a young team about work ethic

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I don't think we need to worry about bringing in a RB that didn't have the desire to put the work in to make it on his college team like he should have.

Thanks, but no thanks. There are several other guys in the draft we'll have a shot at that I'd rather give a shot.

TheGoat73

Reaction score
live 25 miles from blacksburg, have seen him play. I'll pass. If you can't play for Frank Beamer, you can't play for anybody.

tyke1doe

Reaction score
A running back that's either incredibly stupid or has a bad drug problem he's not willing to acknowledge.

Uh, pass, please. (And I don't mean the doobie.)

CrazyCowboy

Reaction score
underdark;2004984 said:
live 25 miles from blacksburg, have seen him play. I'll pass. If you can't play for Frank Beamer, you can't play for anybody.

You got a great point there........I am from Hillsville, VA

Good to hear from you--Go Cowboys!:starspin

IronCowboy

Benched
Reaction score
Yeah, lets bring on a thug. A punk who would rather bag grocerys then earn a degree in college.

Lets bring Ore in, along with Pacman and Michael Vick.

We run a Football Franchise you clown, not a correctional facility.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
I'd rather draft one of the other talented RB;s, particularly the man who is widely regarded as the best player in this April's draft

Brandon Ore is not an upgrade over our situation from prio years

David

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't think it's necessary to field a team of boy scouts. But we don't need to go to the opposite extreme either. Pass on this kid.